Texas Fishing Forum

Ray Roberts Report with guide Kevin McCullough

Posted By: Sigav8r

Ray Roberts Report with guide Kevin McCullough - 08/17/16 01:15 AM

My wife bought me a guided fishing trip with Kevin McCullough of Downwind Guide Service for my birthday (which is in December so I'm cashing in last years birthday gift). First off, let me say that Kevin (like other guides I have met and fished with) is first class and a great instructor! We had a blast today. My wife (who doesn't fish and wonders why I need "Thump Therapy") got to experience what fishing is like when you know what you're doing in terms of locating and staying on brush piles. She had a blast and only caught one less keeper than I did today. So for someone who has no fishing background to go out and jig fish (without minnows) and catch that much is a testament to Kevin and his ability to put us on fish. So she is sold on real crappie fishing. As for me, I got some more education on reading my graph, learning how to target certain areas, and more about boat control. Now if I could learn to mark and stay on brush piles I might be able to use my boat as a real crappie catcher! I tried to make a case for buying an Xi5 (after Kevin showed us how awesome it works) to my wife, but she wasn't having any of that no matter how good she did!

On to the report: we caught fish off of brush piles today in 20-30 FOW. All fish caught today on Thermocline Lures tadpoles and Mr Frys. Every color we tried caught fish. I also fished all 3 sizes of Tadpoles. Fish were hanging close to the bottom in the tops of the brush. Most hit while it was sitting still just above the brush.

Posted By: Fishin" A Jig

Re: Ray Roberts Report with guide Kevin McCullough - 08/17/16 01:34 AM

WTG ... nice trip report ... glad U got the "Missy" to enjoy feeling the "THUMP" .... banana roflmao ...Sounds like you had a very good time both with the Missy and guide
Posted By: TR176

Re: Ray Roberts Report with guide Kevin McCullough - 08/17/16 01:37 AM

Great report.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Ray Roberts Report with guide Kevin McCullough - 08/17/16 01:40 AM

Nice fish. Good job. thumb
Posted By: Davedave

Re: Ray Roberts Report with guide Kevin McCullough - 08/17/16 02:51 AM

Kevin is a good guy.
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Ray Roberts Report with guide Kevin McCullough - 08/17/16 03:04 AM

Kevin is a dandy for sure. Met him once at my house with Ron and he worked like crazy helping with my trolling motor mount. Real good guy!
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Ray Roberts Report with guide Kevin McCullough - 08/17/16 02:41 PM

Great pictures and you guys got some dandy crappie for some good eats.

Kevin is a great guide who works hard to get you on quality fish. I highly recommend him if you are looking at booking a trip.

thumb
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: Ray Roberts Report with guide Kevin McCullough - 08/17/16 03:32 PM

WTG Buddy clap

Anytime you can get the "Better Half" to catch fish is a PLUS thumb
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Ray Roberts Report with guide Kevin McCullough - 08/17/16 06:06 PM

Table full of Toads....Not Surprised. Good Job!!

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum