Texas Fishing Forum

Crappy Crappie Clickers...

Posted By: TexExp

Crappy Crappie Clickers... - 07/24/16 08:47 PM

It was nice and calm for the first few hours Saturday morning, even a little cloud cover.

Hit a few spots then wandered around. We happened to be near the boat show and surfacing sand bass near Clear Lake and the island. They started later Saturday morning due to the cloud cover, I guess. Don't tell anybody, but we cast our crappie jigs out there... all of 20 feet with an 1/8 ounce jig. lol It didn't matter, we caught sandies for about 20 minutes, then moved back to crappie jigging.

We have a clicker to count how many we catch, but we suck at it. I guess when you're having fun catching crappie, too focused to remember the clicker. grin blush crazy
We thought we ended the day with 36, so I brought home 18. I sent a text to Glen and asked him to count his because we usually miss one or two. We had missed six. We had 42 instead of 36. It is a good thing our trolling motor broke, or we would have been over our limit.

The big girls liked the black emerald shiner. When we caught all those Sandy's, we could see the little shad that they were chasing. BES matches the hatch! Thanks again to Ken Gaby for coming up with that color scheme and especially to Todd & Belinda Box for making them for all of us crappie fisherman!

I was cleaning fish this morning at 7, but it was already hot as ____, and no wind. So, I resorted to having my old man cleaning station... with a fan!! lol Sure did help.
Here's a video of my "old man" cleaning station.

https://youtu.be/RZq0JxCxBu8

Also, love the American Angler electric filet knife. I never though I would spend a hundred bucks for a knife, but so glad I did. Love that sucker.

While we're on the fish cleaning... also love this Game Saver vacuum sealer.
https://youtu.be/UjojbJJxVfw

Good luck out there!

Re: Crappy Crappie Clickers... - 07/24/16 08:48 PM

Love dem filets...

Posted By: AustinS

Re: Crappy Crappie Clickers... - 07/24/16 08:55 PM

Looks like a great day of fishing! cheers
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Crappy Crappie Clickers... - 07/24/16 09:34 PM

thanks for sharing Tim...enjoyed it.
Posted By: Bigskippy

Re: Crappy Crappie Clickers... - 07/24/16 09:41 PM

Yeah, sorry, I forgot to click a few times. I hope it's calm really early like that next weekend because once that wind got going, and with all those boats, it was pretty rough out there!
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Crappy Crappie Clickers... - 07/24/16 10:55 PM

thumb
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: Crappy Crappie Clickers... - 07/25/16 12:21 AM

Nice fish Tim & Glen cheers
Posted By: cellis

Re: Crappy Crappie Clickers... - 07/25/16 01:18 AM

Nice haul fellas
Posted By: eyeball

Re: Crappy Crappie Clickers... - 07/25/16 01:46 AM

Nice haul of crappie there, for sure. I coukd stand some of that.

About 35 years ago we started using grannys "lectric" carving knife to fillet bass from Rayburn and Livingston. Yes, we ate bass back then. We werent worried about leaving them for the water turkeys and gar. We thought we deserved some too.

The blades had rounded tips on the edge and actually worked much better t h an the blabes with sharp tipped edges we are left with nowdays. They glided over the spine without digging in and cutting off the sides of vertebrae and didnt dig in and catch the skin side and cut through. The blades glided twixt meat and skin with enough ease one could fillet a catfish side off the skin.

I reckon now that blades with rounded tips on the edge would be laughed off the market. Wouldnt look mean enough.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Crappy Crappie Clickers... - 07/25/16 02:45 AM

Awesome post! thumb

Re: Crappy Crappie Clickers... - 07/25/16 10:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigskippy
Yeah, sorry, I forgot to click a few times. I hope it's calm really early like that next weekend because once that wind got going, and with all those boats, it was pretty rough out there!

I'm sure we both did... from having too much fun!
good times brutha.

Re: Crappy Crappie Clickers... - 07/25/16 10:13 AM

Originally Posted By: TroyKing
thanks for sharing Tim...enjoyed it.

Thanks! and thanks all.

I try to tell a story about the day, rather than just here's a bunch of fish. lol
My hero is Lane Palmer... the ultimate story teller!
Surely he will author some outdoor books some day.
Posted By: red snappa

Re: Crappy Crappie Clickers... - 07/25/16 01:29 PM

Hard to beat the Black Emerald Shiner, on Fork especially! The crappie fishing world was forever changed with that color combination! Nice fish!
Posted By: TurboDan

Re: Crappy Crappie Clickers... - 07/25/16 01:39 PM

Have that same "old man" fishing station, just need the fan. Nice mess of fish. Just started vacuum sealing my catch. So far I like it. makes for easy packing in the freezer.
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Crappy Crappie Clickers... - 07/25/16 01:45 PM

Question - is vacuum sealing better than the double ziplock seal bags? I don't own a sealer.
Posted By: AustinS

Re: Crappy Crappie Clickers... - 07/25/16 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: DFW-fisherman
Question - is vacuum sealing better than the double ziplock seal bags? I don't own a sealer.

Definitely. It sucks all of the air out, so there's no freezer burn and makes fish last much longer in the freezer (although that's normally not a problem with crappie at my house, ha) plus it makes nice little flat packages that stack easily in the freezer.
Posted By: Bigskippy

Re: Crappy Crappie Clickers... - 07/25/16 05:04 PM

Before the vacuum sealer, I used to put them in water and make a fish-cicle until we were ready to thaw and eat. The vacuum sealed is soooo much better. Smaller packages, easier to do, better taste, lasts longer. It's definitely the way to go. Tim has the Mack-daddy $200 one but my $60 food saver brand from Walmart works great too.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum