Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing with The Great One

Posted By: Lovfldx

Fishing with The Great One - 07/23/16 05:08 AM

It has been my privilege to fish with what I consider the "best of the best" in the North Texas area. Fortunately for me, more than once with each. Even more fortunate for me, I consider them my friends. That is the important part to me.

Who, you ask? Let's see if I can not leave anyone out: Carey Thorn,aka Tarponfly, the guy who could find fish on a dry roadbed; Eric Emeritz, the CC guy that can find you those broad shouldered Cedar Creek black crappie; Billy Seaman, the CC sandbass/hybrid guru; I digress, one of the greats, Mr Guy Skinner, I have fished with only once. Sorry! Now, moving along, Great Ones: Robert Peck, who seems to know where the crappie is going to be before the fish gets there!. Don the Angler, The white bass/hybrid guru of Lake Lewisville. What list like this one would be complete without including The One who started It All, The Great One, Mr. Ernest Paty, Mr Crappie 101 Himself!
Mr Doyle Holman, Richland Chambers, Cedar Creek, and Lake Waco expert.

I love fishing with each and every one of these guys, and at various times had the absolute privilege to be in the same boat with various combinations of the illustrious list. That, my friends, is as good as it gets!!!

Friday I had the privilege and honor of accompanying, the Great One, Mr Paty, on Lake Lewisville, in search of crappie mainly. Typically, we caught a smorgasbord of species!

I will not reveal spots where fish were caught, suffice it to say we covered a lot of ground.
First stop, crappie, lots of them, sandbass, lots of them, bluegills, drum, largemouth bass, even a juvenile
hybrid, 15.5 inches long. He still swims. So many sandies on the surface for so long, we were soon surrounded by a mini boat show, and all caught fish.

Second stop, crappie, lots of them, a few largemouths.

Third and last stop, crappie, lots of them, largemouths, and channel cat.

Kept 19 crappie, 6 of them between 13 and 15 inches each! One Sandie, 15.5 inches, a true magnum.

Lures used: 1/16 to 1/4 oz, crappie jigs. I used sixteenth oz exclusively. The Great One used em all.

IT DIDN'T MATTER WHAT SIZE OR COLOR, THEY ALL CAUGHT FISH! A GREAT day on the water with the Great One in his luxurious, re designed for serious fishing pontoon. Awesome craft!

A million Gracias, Mr Paty, lets do it again soon!!!!

Six broad shouldered black crappie, very CC'ish, 13-15 inches each!

All told we caught around 200 today. Nothing but crappie jigs and ultralight gear, maxing out with 6 lb test!

Rudy
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Fishing with The Great One - 07/23/16 05:56 AM

clap
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Fishing with The Great One - 07/23/16 08:49 AM

thumb
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Fishing with The Great One - 07/23/16 09:40 AM

Nice day! clap
Posted By: koobycrappie

Re: Fishing with The Great One - 07/23/16 04:43 PM

Nice story and thanks for sharing!
Good job! clap
Posted By: Fishin" A Jig

Re: Fishing with The Great One - 07/23/16 06:10 PM

Great read and post ... bouncy ... trips like this are the ones memories are made of .. bow_down
Posted By: Harleyrockstar

Re: Fishing with The Great One - 07/23/16 08:44 PM

banana
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Fishing with The Great One - 07/23/16 09:23 PM

thumb
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Fishing with The Great One - 07/24/16 02:05 AM

Nice post! cheers
Posted By: Jon

Re: Fishing with The Great One - 07/25/16 10:37 AM

Great post Rudy. Sounds like a trip to remember.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum