Texas Fishing Forum

Lavon Crappie Fails

Posted By: Brocephus

Lavon Crappie Fails - 07/16/16 11:27 PM

Howdy,

Got back from Lavon a few hours ago. Fished pretty hard from about 8 AM to 1:30 PM. Lanched at Bratonia and fished spots of timber in about 23 - 24, trying different depths with minnows and a black / chartreuse road runner. Caught about 5 dinks, and I do mean dinks.... and one nice channel cat, and then try some more timber in some coves headed on the way towards the railroad bridge and Mallard Park. We tried timber in 13/14, 16/18, and never got another bite. Maybe we should have stuck with the timber that had the dinks. Finally gave up about 11:30 and tried to fool around with some sandbass, and only caught dink sandbass. Is Lavon just full of nothing but dinks? This is the third time i've fished Lavon for crappie, last time was back in June and I got skunked, and the time before that we caught a few dinks again. Very frustrated.... anybody know what I could do to actually find some keeper sized crappie? This is getting personal.....
Posted By: Tommy Ezell

Re: Lavon Crappie Fails - 07/16/16 11:59 PM

Fairly easy limit yesterday evening. Pics show baits and graph photo shows pattern I fished.

Posted By: mikedeanjr

Re: Lavon Crappie Fails - 07/17/16 12:12 AM

We limited out in about 3 hours today.

Re: Lavon Crappie Fails - 07/17/16 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: mikedeanjr
We limited out in about 3 hours today.
hooked thumb

Re: Lavon Crappie Fails - 07/17/16 02:21 AM

There were at least 3 to 4 boats fishing near us today... never saw anyone catch anything of note. What time did they start biting?

Those are some awesome extreme close ups TommyE
Posted By: txhntr

Re: Lavon Crappie Fails - 07/17/16 02:47 AM

Me and my father in law are going tomorrow. Hopefully we can get into some crappie.
Posted By: mikedeanjr

Re: Lavon Crappie Fails - 07/17/16 03:04 AM

Find timber and brush in 20' drop your jig to the bottom and reel up two cranks and get ready.
Posted By: 8upwithfishin'

Re: Lavon Crappie Fails - 07/17/16 03:06 AM

Tommy, what kind/size of jig head and blade are you using...never seen that set up? Thx.
Posted By: Sandwich Maker

Re: Lavon Crappie Fails - 07/17/16 03:21 AM

If you should decide to try a guide to show you how and where on Lavon you might check out Hancock's Guide Service @ 214-544-3678. Jerry knows the lake inside out and will put you on fish. He's a good guy and you'll get your money's worth.
Posted By: txhntr

Re: Lavon Crappie Fails - 07/17/16 03:40 AM

Thanks Mike. We will try that.

Re: Lavon Crappie Fails - 07/20/16 02:32 PM

May decide to get a guide. I can catch bass and hybrids all day, but for some reason crappie are my nemesis.

I wonder if my lack of success was due to fishing brush that was just a little too deep, like 24' foot, and that if I had gone to 20, that would have made a difference?

May go back this afternoon after work! Or may just go back to Lew for some Hybrid / Sandies.
Posted By: UnckleBud

Re: Lavon Crappie Fails - 07/21/16 03:35 PM

What is the name of the rig with the willow blade above the jig? What size jig head and blade are you using? Also what kind of knot is used? I have never seen that rig before very interesting

Re: Lavon Crappie Fails - 07/21/16 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: UnckleBud
What is the name of the rig with the willow blade above the jig? What size jig head and blade are you using? Also what kind of knot is used? I have never seen that rig before very interesting

I've never seen anyone do this. Just thinking outside the box. That's a BoneHead Tackle BX jighead. I bought hammered willows from Barlow's and tied loose above a 1/16 jighead on a loop knot. It'll give some flash but more importantly it'll tink the jighead when fished sending out a vibration. It slides freely in the loop knot. Thump!
Posted By: UnckleBud

Re: Lavon Crappie Fails - 07/21/16 07:15 PM

Very nice looks like you get to name the rig. I am going to try it out this weekend might add a bead or two to make additional clanking noise. Thanks for the info!
Posted By: Hawgball

Re: Lavon Crappie Fails - 07/21/16 07:31 PM

Where did the big crappie go? Caught some nice ones a few weeks ago when water was higher. I can only find small ones now?

Re: Lavon Crappie Fails - 07/21/16 07:47 PM

Timber, timber, timber

hooked
Posted By: Hawgball

Re: Lavon Crappie Fails - 07/22/16 12:28 AM

Gonna try tomorrow. Standing or submerged?

Re: Lavon Crappie Fails - 07/22/16 03:39 AM

submerged... hint for all... as much as some of us have to fish we see many pull up and fish the standing timber time and time again through out the day. Take the time to find the spots others can't see. Not that standing timber won't hold fish... JMHO
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum