Texas Fishing Forum

Xi5------does it work?

Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Xi5------does it work? - 07/16/16 07:39 PM

I was really skeptical about this trolling motor being able to hold my boat on a brushpile. After using it for a few trips this is what I have found.

1. When in anchor mode it will hold my boat (pontoon) within two feet of designated spot in wind up to 20 MPH.

2. Anchor mode would not work under bridges. GPS lost it's signal. For fishing bridge pilings the foot control works best.

3.The remote control has 8 hot buttons that can be used to designate favorite spots. Just drive to the area of your brushpile, put the trolling motor down and hit the button and the motor will go right to the brushpile, no looking around or using marker required.

4. The motor's bracket to deploy and pull up sucks. I added a handle to make it easier to use.

Using this motor is like having an extra person on board that does nothing but hold the boat in position for you to fish.

I LOVE IT, WOULD PAY TWICE THE PRICE IF NECESSARY.

Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/16/16 07:44 PM

Love mine too for the same reasons! Only lost signal once under a bridge today. Did not catch any fish there anyway.
Posted By: Bartemus

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/16/16 08:31 PM

Yes the anchor lock is fantastic. It will hold you in position in a very stiff wind. Foot pedal is a bit tough to use though.
Posted By: j791

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/16/16 08:40 PM

I love mine too. Added the gateway so all I have to do is touch the fish on my screen and it takes me straight to them.
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/16/16 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Bartemus
Yes the anchor lock is fantastic. It will hold you in position in a very stiff wind. Foot pedal is a bit tough to use though.
I've never even used my foot pedal. It never has worked and won't sync. Motorguide is sending me a new one. Dealer said. "Oh sure everything works great" never believe a dealer when they say that. Test it yourself before leaving. hammer
Posted By: ATM97

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/16/16 08:46 PM

I have a buddy with a pontoon boat that says he wants to sell it and buy a crappie boat. Told him if he puts an xi5 on it he will have a crappie boat.
Posted By: fakawi

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/16/16 09:05 PM

I love mine too however when the wind dies down and all is calm and it is set on spot lock it continuously steers back and forth for no reason at all I find this very annoying. It is still much better than the I pilot I had though.
Posted By: Jacob

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/16/16 09:12 PM

How are they on batteries? Seems like a lot of extra juice used to steer and constant on and off.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/16/16 09:30 PM

I have used mine for 3 days of fishing w/o recharging my batteries.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/16/16 09:34 PM

Glad to hear that its working out.

I was about ready to invest in one until I seen the new Ultrex. Gonna wait and see how it pans out.
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/16/16 10:33 PM

love my xi5. hands down is way better than my terrova.
Posted By: reel believer

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/16/16 10:57 PM

Bassthumb, what about the xi5 makes it better than terrova ? I'm almost ready to chunk down the cash and want to make the best decision.
Posted By: RODS454

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/16/16 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
I have used mine for 3 days of fishing w/o recharging my batteries.

+1
Posted By: RODS454

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/17/16 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: reel believer
Bassthumb, what about the xi5 makes it better than terrova ? I'm almost ready to chunk down the cash and want to make the best decision.

I can answer about my experience. Terrova would drift 20 feet downwind and over shoot 10 feet going back. I was sold on Xi5 when Gonzz pulled up next to me in about 15 mph wind. I was drifting all over the place and he was stuck on spot. I sold my Terrova the next week and got an Xi5.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/17/16 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: ERNEST PATY

I LOVE IT, WOULD PAY TWICE THE PRICE IF NECESSARY.

I wouldn't go that far with it!! But would be happy to sell you mine at double price to help you out!!! cheers

I love mine for brushpiles and shooting docks. I rarely fish bridges anymore because I can't get the angles right and it kills me. I'm not a fan of it on timber either but what it does right it does well. Curious to see what the new MK will be like. Cable steer w Xi5 spot lock capability would be the cats meow. It's if like a Terrova its gonna be a total letdown. Glad you like your new TM. Just watch your like!! It doesn't shut off when you roll your line up in it!!! hammer
Posted By: Matthew Carroll

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/17/16 12:37 AM

Love mine!!
Posted By: Slabster24

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/17/16 03:21 AM

I have the terrova, and I wouldn't call what it has spot lock! It's terrible! Anyone with Xi5, I sure would like to see a video of u throwing a bouy market out and locking urs on it so I can get a better idea of how good it is! Cause if it's anything like my terrova, not a chance I'll be making the swap!
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/17/16 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By: reel believer

What fish finders do you use? If humminbird then wait a few months until the new Terrova is available with the updated, the ilink hook up to the FF is a nice feature. If not HB then it doesn't matter.
Posted By: CypertJ

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/17/16 04:57 AM

I was on Texoma last year labor day weekend, pulled up on one of the islands between 2 boats and dropped the xi5, doin it around into the waves and hit the anchor button. The family stayed there swimming on the beach for half a day and the boat stayed locked between the other 2.

If you are swaying left and right you may have inadvertently engaged the jog feature which swings the boat left and right 5'in with direction.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/17/16 03:01 PM

I have the xi5 and love it ,
To make the perfect TM , they need to make with power deploy and retract, and unlimited
Presets ( remote only has 8)
Make it Bluetooth connected to a phone app that hold all your brushpile waypoints.
That would be crazy good.
Make it HB compatible. With DI and SI. Built in.

Mo
Posted By: Crappie Bait

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/17/16 11:04 PM

What do they cost? Thanks
Posted By: Jacob

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/17/16 11:55 PM

From what I saw $1,499 and up
Posted By: fe1

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/18/16 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Crappie Bait
What do they cost? Thanks

12 v $1150
Posted By: SStohner

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/18/16 05:19 AM

We have had both the terrova and Xi5.

Xi5 blows it out of the water. I rarely will tie to trees anymore because the trolling motor will keep me there.

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/18/16 11:53 AM

We fished yesterday morning on a riprap stretch in 17' to 20' deep water. Wind was blowing about 15 MPH parallel to the dam. Boat faced into the wind and we fished out the back. Slow fished roadrunners right on the rocks. Caught a box full of big black crappie, I knew the fish had to be there but had never been able to fish them slow enough to catch many. Would fish one spot about 30 min. and jog the boat back 50' and do it again. Boat never moved more than a foot or two unless I told it to.

No jerking around or moving up or back, you never notice the motor running at all. Motor ran continuously for 5 hours and my batteries still showed 90% charged.

I love it.
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/18/16 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Slabster24
I have the terrova, and I wouldn't call what it has spot lock! It's terrible! Anyone with Xi5, I sure would like to see a video of u throwing a bouy market out and locking urs on it so I can get a better idea of how good it is! Cause if it's anything like my terrova, not a chance I'll be making the swap!

[img]http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j327/rdbassing/th_20150703_073214_zpsyyamiwlp.mp4[/img]
Posted By: Fab

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/18/16 09:25 PM

In another thread about the Ultrex Guy stated the following:

"Ernest solved the problem on his 'toon by making a separate holding attachment, putting the transducer on it and making it so that you can put it in the water when fishing and take it out when running. So he has both DI and sonar now."

Ernest,
Can you please post some pictures of your setup?
I'd like to see how you rigged it.
Thinking of going the MG route as well.

Thanks,
Fab
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/18/16 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fab
In another thread about the Ultrex Guy stated the following:

"Ernest solved the problem on his 'toon by making a separate holding attachment, putting the transducer on it and making it so that you can put it in the water when fishing and take it out when running. So he has both DI and sonar now."

Ernest,
Can you please post some pictures of your setup?
I'd like to see how you rigged it.
Thinking of going the MG route as well.

Thanks,
Fab

I do not believe this is what Ernest has but it sure seems to do the trick.

http://www.podunkideas.com/basic-l-model.html

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/18/16 09:31 PM

I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them.
Posted By: Fab

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/18/16 10:51 PM

Thank you sir!
Posted By: UJC

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/18/16 10:55 PM

BlueNitro (Ron) was nice enough to take me out to illustrate the Xi5 - it does what everyone says it does. Beats MK Terrible (I have one) hands down. Auto stow/deploy and remote with screen would be an improvement.

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/18/16 11:14 PM

What fish finders do you have to have to be compatible with this trolling motor

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/19/16 12:19 AM

That's not what I have but would work. Remember, mine is on a pontoon so I hade more options. Mine cost about $15.00 to make.

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/19/16 12:33 AM

What fish finders do you have to have to be compatible with this trolling motor

You can utilize either brand of electronics and still achieve the anchor/spot lock. If you want to link to the trolling motor you will need Lowrance Gen2/Gen3. Linking will allow for you to tell the motor from your Lowrance unit to go to said waypoint or follow said contour.

It will require the additional gateway kit and NMEA 2000 starter kit @ $328.00.

W/out linking the electronics to the trolling motor you still have spot lock feature available along with 6 waypoints you can save onto the remote.

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/19/16 12:36 AM

Thanks, your knowledge of the electronics is amazing, I get lost in it, lol

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/19/16 12:41 AM

Thanks, your knowledge of the electronics is amazing, I get lost in it, lol

Thank you. It is what I do....

The Podunkideas bracket would be something suited more for a bass rig. I am sure the Ernestidea works well for pontoons and may also work well on a bass rig.
Posted By: Slabster24

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/19/16 09:09 AM

Originally Posted By: BlueNitro

[img]http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j327/rdbassing/th_20150703_073214_zpsyyamiwlp.mp4[/img]

Wow thanks BlueNitro! That is very impressive! That has sold it to me! I may wait for the new minn Kota just to see if it's as accurate but if not motor guide will be bought!
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/19/16 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: BlueNitro

Wow thanks BlueNitro! That is very impressive! That has sold it to me! I may wait for the new minn Kota just to see if it's as accurate but if not motor guide will be bought!

No problem. If you get the Xi5 and are mounting it on a bassboat or have any other mounting issues I can help you out. Clink on the links in my signature to see what I am talking about.
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/19/16 08:05 PM

No more anchors or Power poles. Well until the batteries are dead, but then it is time to go home.

Always knew this day would come. Totally cool.
Posted By: fishingman007

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/19/16 11:07 PM

I'll start to save money now.
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/20/16 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: fishingman007
I'll start to save money now.

Dooh. That is pricey.
Posted By: parttime

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/20/16 07:28 PM

I've had mine for a couple month now and love it. Anchor locked on brush piles in Canyon Lake and it says right in place. Also pulled the boat up to Michigan on vacation and trolled for Walleye using it on the Saginaw bay. It has been great and really changed how I fish now.
Posted By: fagin007

Re: Xi5------does it work? - 07/20/16 07:58 PM

Love mine been anchoring over brush piles on Lavon with the wind or without and loving it because it spot locks and stays right there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum