Texas Fishing Forum

Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine?

Posted By: hawghoover

Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/16/16 11:31 AM

3 days in a row not 1 bite! plenty of schooling bass to catch but the Crappie are hiding.?? i know they are drawing the lake down a ton at 1866 but you would think there would be a few around.or im just fishing in the wrong places. any ideas?
Posted By: Davedave

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/16/16 12:46 PM

No sir. I have been on that lake one time this year. I have been going elsewhere. Good luck.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/16/16 01:05 PM

The are there. Just have to know where to look.
Posted By: BrazosRiverTom

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/16/16 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: fishin'aholic2
The are there. Just have to know where to look.

You state the obvious. Why not give the person asking some clues of where to look, if you know the lake.
Posted By: skeeter175

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/16/16 03:06 PM

I was out there about a month ago when it was about 10' up and it was really slow,I think all the new cover has scattered them,there are some submergered trees in the cove between the regular and high water ramps at murrel park that had fish on them but they were all unders,the rocky bluff on your left as you are leaving murrel also will hold some good fish,might also try fishing the top of the rock crusher,it should be about 20 ft down now.
It should be some awesome fishing once the lake gets back to full pool.

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/16/16 06:46 PM

i mostly fish the slips at twin coves where my boat is but last month iv only caught 1 keeper. caught a couple short ones today in the trees at ramp in murrell park area.
Posted By: Caribwill

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/16/16 07:06 PM

Anyone doing well up north by Denton creek/trophy club?

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/16/16 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Caribwill
Anyone doing well up north by Denton creek/trophy club?
Denton creek is more of a cooler month deal. Won't be much up there as most are out in the deeper water on the mainlake.

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/16/16 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: skeeter175
I was out there about a month ago when it was about 10' up and it was really slow,I think all the new cover has scattered them,there are some submergered trees in the cove between the regular and high water ramps at murrel park that had fish on them but they were all unders,the rocky bluff on your left as you are leaving murrel also will hold some good fish,might also try fishing the top of the rock crusher,it should be about 20 ft down now.
what is the rock crusher?

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/16/16 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: hawghoover
Originally Posted By: skeeter175
what is the rock crusher?
never mind i googled it.lol
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/17/16 04:36 PM

When I was guiding on GV, the middle of the summer was what I looked forward to, as fishing was so good. Since I stopped guiding, and only fish the lake occasionally, I will fish the north (Flower Mound) side in the summer. The south (Grapevine) side has some great summer fishing but you have to know where to fish. Go the the north side and graph along the shoreline staying in about 15-20 FOW, and watch for rocky dropoffs....and there are LOTS of them. The crappie will hold at the thermocline depth on these dropoffs. Working a jig up the dropoff can sometime send you to the doctor to get you arm joints repaired. They will knock the poop outta a jig doing that. Hope this helps and good luck.......... thumb
Posted By: Jeff Schiller

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/17/16 04:47 PM

I haven't fished the lake in many years. But I'm guessing, keying in off of what Guy posted above, that these two points would still hold some fish.
Rockledge Park

Posted By: Wolfe Hunter

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/20/16 01:10 PM

my dad limited out Monday on minnows at his boat slip. He left them biting
Posted By: AggieKenny

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/20/16 03:36 PM

Hawg,
Keep working the slips. I went out this morning and could have easily limited out. I was fishing my jigs, fish were on hanging brush from 5' to about 12' down.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/20/16 06:24 PM

Jig tipped with a minnow. Look in water 5' to 13'. You may be surprised.

Also try as shallow as 2'-3'
Posted By: Bradley McCaw

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/20/16 07:20 PM

what color jigs been working?

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/20/16 07:59 PM

fished the slips this morning no bites . iv got enough hanging pvc structure to fill a railroad car from 5' down to 15'..then went to main lake points.no crappie.1.bass about 3 lbs
Originally Posted By: AggieKenny
Hawg,
Keep working the slips. I went out this morning and could have easily limited out. I was fishing my jigs, fish were on hanging brush from 5' to about 12' down.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/20/16 09:20 PM

fished the slips this morning no bites . iv got enough hanging pvc structure to fill a railroad car from 5' down to 15'..then went to main lake points.no crappie.1.bass about 3 lbs
Hawg,

It was a full moon last night. The fish stayed up late eating all night long.
Posted By: Wolfe Hunter

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/20/16 09:32 PM

Full moon hasn't affected them much at our slip

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/20/16 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: BradleyMccaw

I've been fishing my Custom Jigs in White/Chartreuse and White/Blue, no minnows.

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/20/16 10:14 PM

Hawg,

Most of the hanging structure I fish is brush, I have access to just one PVC tree, and it is marginal at best. I usually fish on Wednesdays and Thursdays, Call me if you still have my phone number, or PM me and we'll set something up to fish.

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/20/16 10:26 PM

Fished the marina today too for a while and found fish a few fish. Caught 10 keepers or so in the time I was there. Kenny is right on. IMHO, PVC does not hold as many fish as consistently as natural brush. You can definitely catch some fish off them but not like natural brush.

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/20/16 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: BradleyMccaw

White/chart has been working good for me.

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/22/16 10:48 AM

well happy BD AggieKenny

Re: Cant find the Crappie on Grapevine? - 07/22/16 11:49 AM

well happy BD AggieKenny

Thank you Sir!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum