Texas Fishing Forum

I HATE releasing crappie!

Posted By: jp24

I HATE releasing crappie! - 07/16/16 03:52 AM

In the middle of selling the house and moving to Cedar Creek, I needed a break. Hitched up the G3 and went to Lavon. What an absolutely beautiful evening! The Blue Herons were loving the glass-like water almost as much as me.

Tied off to a few trees and boated seven nice keepers, and threw back a dozen dinks. Most in 10-12 FOW, anywhere from 6-12 feet deep. Black and chartreuse worked best.

When the sun went down, I had a decision to make: Keep 'em, and aggravate my wife, who's preparing the house for two showings in the morning and wouldn't appreciate the cleaning process ... or release 'em.

Much as it pained me, I did the right thing wink
Posted By: feagins28

Re: I HATE releasing crappie! - 07/16/16 04:16 AM

You got a good chewing out and a belly full! xD
Posted By: jp24

Re: I HATE releasing crappie! - 07/16/16 04:44 AM

Well, heck. I wasn't clear!

I released 'em. No chewing out and no full belly.
Posted By: CypertJ

Re: I HATE releasing crappie! - 07/16/16 06:05 AM

I would have been chewed out for not bringing any fish home. Lol
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: I HATE releasing crappie! - 07/16/16 09:42 AM

Its bad karma to throw back crappie!!! Cleaned a mess yesterday. Hopefully can find some of their friends today. Drove too far to not bring home any groceries!! fish
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: I HATE releasing crappie! - 07/16/16 11:49 AM

I used to feel the same way about throwing crappie back till I lost a freezer several years ago. I was sick that I had to throw so many bags of crappie away. Unless I'm planning a fish fry, I only keep a few of the choice 11 and 12 inch fish. I like the taste of the smaller fish and they fry quick and stay crispy. I date my bags of filets and keep them rotated, eating the oldest fish first.

Gman
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: I HATE releasing crappie! - 07/17/16 12:19 AM

I release almost all of mine or give them to whoever I'm fishing with. I kept 6 this morning for dinner tonight. Boy are they good fresh caught.

Fishing at Lewisville should be terrific for a couple of years. Lake is full of small fish due to high water There's lots of big fish there but you have to sort thru a lot of small ones.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum