Texas Fishing Forum

jigging open water

Posted By: ou.sooner

jigging open water - 07/11/16 02:27 PM

So most of my limited jig fishing success has been from the docks. Light line and and light weight rods.

When I go on the main lake I feel like this setup is not heavy enough. Especially if the boat is drifting in the wind.

Do you guys use a different setup on the big water as opposed to the slip? If so I would appreciate some pointers.

Thanks!
Posted By: Jacob

Re: jigging open water - 07/11/16 02:46 PM

I use a 1/8th oz jig with a #4 split shot above it.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: jigging open water - 07/11/16 04:42 PM

For timber or brush piles, I like an 8 ft rod. The 5 ft I use on the docks makes reaching all the places a little difficult. I also use 10 lb test mono cause sometimes getting fish out of hangups is necessary.
But I'd use what you have before spending any money. Your experience will tell you what set up you like on the lake.

Re: jigging open water - 07/11/16 08:59 PM

Thanks. I was wondering about the split shot. Just wasn't sure how it would cause problems or not.

Might need to dig through rods in the garage and build me a couple of 8 foot combos as well.
Posted By: TurboDan

Re: jigging open water - 07/11/16 09:42 PM

I fish an 8' rod and use a 1/6 oz jig when fishing less that 20 ft. May go 1/8 when fishing deeper. I have split shot about 10" above hook with a sliding egg sinker above that. If I snag a jig, I can usually bounce egg sinker and get jig lose.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: jigging open water - 07/11/16 10:35 PM

I use a 12' rod, it helps me to fish brush piles offshore cause the boat is going to move some regardless of skill level.

Actually I think the split shot 12" to 18"s above a 16th oz jig improves the bite with crappie.

Even when you hold the rod as still as you can, the 2 weights are going to cause the jig to swim side to side some.

Re: jigging open water - 07/12/16 01:30 PM

All great information. Thank you again.
Posted By: Woj

Re: jigging open water - 07/12/16 04:47 PM

With the splitshot and/or egg sinker above the jig, can you still feel the bite (thump)? I suspect the 'slack line' bite is nearly impossible.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: jigging open water - 07/12/16 08:52 PM

I have two plans of attack for the open water BP`s if there are fish on it & if it`s not too windy. I find and mark the brush pile with a marker buoy.Once I know where it is,(#1) I will cast a 1/16-1/8oz RR presentation around the perimeter to target any fish that are not tight to the BP and pick them off.If or when that bite slows,(#2)I will then use my troll motor ,get as close as possible to the BP, trying not to spook the fish on it, and then fish a vertical presentation for those fish that are tight way down in the brush Pile.If I get hung up I don`t pull on the line I just drop a jig knocker to get loose. 2cents

Re: jigging open water - 07/13/16 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishbonz
I have two plans of attack for the open water BP`s if there are fish on it & if it`s not too windy. I find and mark the brush pile with a marker buoy.Once I know where it is,(#1) I will cast a 1/16-1/8oz RR presentation around the perimeter to target any fish that are not tight to the BP and pick them off.If or when that bite slows,(#2)I will then use my troll motor ,get as close as possible to the BP, trying not to spook the fish on it, and then fish a vertical presentation for those fish that are tight way down in the brush Pile.If I get hung up I don`t pull on the line I just drop a jig knocker to get loose. 2cents

I like that strategy. Old Bull / Young Bull smile
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum