Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Texoma crappie?

Posted By: Raptor Mike

Lake Texoma crappie? - 06/28/16 10:34 AM

Anybody else here fish Big Tex? We moved our RV from Fork to Texoma last year. I have been fishing all year and have yet to find a decent mess of crappie. My freezer is empty and my spousal unit is not happy. Texoma seems to be the toughest crappie lake I have ever fished.
Do any guides work Texoma? I'm thinking that I'm going to have to hire someone to taste some crappie again!
Posted By: OkieBob

Re: Lake Texoma crappie? - 06/28/16 12:17 PM

Mike, Texoma has been tough since the floods last May. I haven't even heard of anyone catching any good numbers since before then. A good trip now is brining home 6 or 7 keepers and you have to work hard for them. With water temp now at 90 and the lake still above the old normal by 3' and the gates still open, we may not get concentrations of good fish for awhile.
Surprisingly, there are a few fish found in shallow water, less than 6'. None have been found on brush piles, at least down to 20' or less.
We have caught a good number of real small fish and a striper buddy talks about casting his net for shad and coming up with it full of baby crappie.
The future looks very promising but, the flooding this year and last has made it tough.
Wish I had better news and maybe others for figured them out but, that's it for now.
Posted By: Stucky76

Re: Lake Texoma crappie? - 06/28/16 04:20 PM

Hey Mike,

I was on Big Tex last Sunday and it was very tough. With the tourney coming up in a couple weeks, you'll probably not get much info on here until after that.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Lake Texoma crappie? - 06/28/16 04:35 PM

I sure feel your pain about Texoma. I used to fish it almost every week but have abandoned the lake due to flooding. I did see a post on the whites section where a guide said he caught some on the Bridge over the Washita while fishing for stripers. I used to be able to catch crappie everywhere fishing for stripers. Last trip up to the 377 bridge was the first time I'd ever been totally skunked on texoma.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Lake Texoma crappie? - 06/28/16 06:15 PM

Sounds like a Cooper report!! Hopefully the lake will settle next few weeks! I've been excited about this one all year. Looking forward to wetting a jig there!! thumb

Re: Lake Texoma crappie? - 06/28/16 06:22 PM

Over the past six months, I have really started to doubt my abilities as a fisherman. I suppose it gives me some consolation that I am not the only one suffering on Texoma. Misery loves company!
Posted By: OkieBob

Re: Lake Texoma crappie? - 06/29/16 10:10 AM

Heading out to Lakeview ramp in a few minutes. Never been to that area but, all reports from my local buddies show the only fish being taken are still shallow. Amazing since the water temp is in the 90 degree range. Very few fish are being caught on brush piles in the 20' range. Try going more shallow.

The good news is from the stiper guides that are catching huge amounts of crappie while casting for shad. Never heard of that before but, sure makes it look good for the future on Texoma.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Lake Texoma crappie? - 06/29/16 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: OkieBob
Heading out to Lakeview ramp in a few minutes. Never been to that area but, all reports from my local buddies show the only fish being taken are still shallow. Amazing since the water temp is in the 90 degree range. Very few fish are being caught on brush piles in the 20' range. Try going more shallow.

The good news is from the stiper guides that are catching huge amounts of crappie while casting for shad. Never heard of that before but, sure makes it look good for the future on Texoma.

Did you mean lakeside ramp?

Re: Lake Texoma crappie? - 06/29/16 07:21 PM

Bob,
I too have been catching small (2-3") crappie while cast netting for shad. Should be a good sign for the future.
Posted By: DavisGuideService

Re: Lake Texoma crappie? - 06/29/16 08:02 PM

If your still having trouble next month the crappie angler of texas is having a tournament, you could learn a lot by attending the weigh in.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum