Texas Fishing Forum

This trip was special!

Posted By: SLABXPRESS

This trip was special! - 06/25/16 07:21 PM

I finally got my dad to come along on a trip! He's been retired for about 8 years, but hasn't been fishing in probably 3 years. As you can imagine, we spent many hours together fishing when I was a kid, so getting to take him and put him on some crappie yesterday was a great feeling! cheers
I also had a dear friend and coaching buddy along for the trip as well, so this was truly a special day.

We arrived at the ramp around 7:00am, and hit our first BP around 7:30am. Our first 2 stops were bamboo condos we put out last fall. They both produced 4-5 keepers each, but it was a little slow and too many dinks.
We moved to a group of older BPs that were out of the wind, which was starting to pick up a little. In reality, the wind was just right because without the breeze it would have been even hotter. Those 4-5 BPs produced about 15-20 fish and several big ones, so at that point we felt pretty good about the day. We at least had a mess to clean.
We decided to make one more move and I scanned a pile I had marked, but never fished. It was LOADED! OMG
We tossed a marker bouy and Bam! The first drop for all three of us yielded keepers! We fished that one pile for maybe 30-45 minutes, and picked up another 25 or so keepers. woot
It was getting close to lunch, so I suggested we not be greedy and leave them biting. It was getting pretty hot too, so I didn't get any argument from anyone. roflmao
We had 54 keepers in the box, with a couple 2lbers and several 1.5lbers, but mostly just good box fish.
We caught fish on several colors of jig, and nothing in particular seemed to out fish another. Mostly 1/8oz hand ties. BPs were in 12-18' water. Early they were suspended 10-12' down. By 11am, they were on bottom in 16'.

Crappie are hard to predict, sometimes you hammer them and sometimes they frustrate the [censored] out of you. We were just blessed with one of those good days, and it couldn't have come at a better time. clap

Days like THAT are why I crappie fish!!! thumb

Posted By: Fishin" A Jig

Re: This trip was special! - 06/25/16 07:48 PM

Anytime family is there ... it is the best trip one can have ... WYG and the smiles says it all .. Glad it was a good and happy trip banana juggle
Posted By: fish n fool

Re: This trip was special! - 06/25/16 10:33 PM

WTG Erric
spending the day with your dad was the biggest catch of the day. All the fish they caught and the smiles on their face was just icing on the cake. Glad yall had a successful day. It sure does lower the temperature when your catching crappie.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: This trip was special! - 06/25/16 10:37 PM

Anytime you can put a smile on DAD `s face is a Special Time especially catching a few Crappie.I only wish mine was still here.WTG Eric glad you could get on em!
Posted By: river-rat

Re: This trip was special! - 06/25/16 10:38 PM

thumb
Posted By: ATM97

Re: This trip was special! - 06/25/16 11:11 PM

Time on the water with your dad is priceless. Think my boys and I were in the same neighborhood as you yesterday morning but we never found any big fish over there. Impressive haul!
Posted By: SLABXPRESS

Re: This trip was special! - 06/26/16 01:39 AM

What type of boat were you guys in?
Posted By: Ruffneck2000

Re: This trip was special! - 06/26/16 02:03 AM

thumb
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: This trip was special! - 06/26/16 02:27 AM

coolphotos Priceless! cheers
Posted By: titleist9

Re: This trip was special! - 06/26/16 02:29 AM

Good mess of fish and looks like everyone had a good time , well done
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: This trip was special! - 06/26/16 03:17 AM

Man that's great!
Posted By: jp24

Re: This trip was special! - 06/26/16 03:18 AM

So cool.
Posted By: Jason Burton Guide Service

Re: This trip was special! - 06/26/16 03:32 AM

That's awesome Eric!!!
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: This trip was special! - 06/26/16 04:17 AM

thumb
Posted By: ATM97

Re: This trip was special! - 06/26/16 10:17 AM

Originally Posted By: SLABXPRESS
What type of boat were you guys in?

We were over there around 930 in a Blue Wave
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: This trip was special! - 06/26/16 02:58 PM

Nice report, thanks!

The boat looked like a Ranger Reata. Nice boat!

I'm still trying to duplicate the fishing experience like that; I mean catching a lot of keepers. Too many dinks these days!

flag texas
Posted By: Cast

Re: This trip was special! - 06/26/16 05:10 PM

Great job! Dad will remember that day.
Posted By: UJC

Re: This trip was special! - 06/26/16 07:24 PM

Thanks for sharing your story Eric - great day on the water.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: This trip was special! - 06/26/16 11:44 PM

Never gonna say you went fishing too much! And sure never gonna say you fished with your dad too much!! Good job!!! thumb
Posted By: koobycrappie

Re: This trip was special! - 06/27/16 11:44 PM

Nice job! thumb
Posted By: Gmann

Re: This trip was special! - 06/28/16 02:32 PM

Great memories!
Posted By: H-TownCrappieMan

Re: This trip was special! - 06/28/16 04:12 PM

Man, you are one smooth operator!
Posted By: OkieBob

Re: This trip was special! - 06/29/16 10:15 AM

Outstanding report Eric! That's a day for long time memories!
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: This trip was special! - 06/29/16 10:23 AM

clap
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: This trip was special! - 06/30/16 07:26 PM

Great times indeed Eric clap
Posted By: Metal Man

Re: This trip was special! - 06/30/16 07:42 PM

flehan
Posted By: HOGON

Re: This trip was special! - 07/02/16 11:41 PM

Eric,

You know how much I treasure the fact I am able to go fishing with my Dad and Mom often and they still have the health to do it.

To see this post from you was like opening a present on Christmas morning for me.

I'm elated to see that you got your father and a close friend on the water for an outstanding day of Crappie Fishing not to mention spending some real quality time with some great company on the boat.

I know the trip is a memory that was truly priceless and a very special gift to cherish forever.

I hope you are able to get him out more often especially when it cools off.

Awesome!!!
Posted By: OkieBob

Re: This trip was special! - 07/03/16 01:39 PM

Schmidty, I don't recall you or your mom or dad ever missing a day on the lake just due to a little summer sunshine! Doubt it will slow down Eric either!
You can always put that umbrella up on your boats! (I do)
Posted By: HOGON

Re: This trip was special! - 07/03/16 02:36 PM

Huh? hmmm
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum