Texas Fishing Forum

West Texas/Alan Henry Crappie

Posted By: CB Aggie

West Texas/Alan Henry Crappie - 06/19/16 07:23 PM

Hey everyone, I just moved out to Lubbock from Houston for school. I am used to fishing east texas lakes for whites, stripers, hybrids, largemouth and some crappie. I have become more and more interested in crappie lately and am at a loss for how to fish for them out here. I went to Alan Henry and was completely out of my element fishing in the ultra clear water. If anybody wants to fish with me out of my boat and help me learn the ropes out here it would be much appreciated. I just purchased a yearlong pass for Alan Henry so your entry will be free. I am open to any other lakes within a few hours of lubbock. I run a 2012 bass tracker with 2 humminbird 999s and a motorguide with pinpoint GPS. PM me if you are interested. Thanks!
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: West Texas/Alan Henry Crappie - 06/19/16 07:31 PM

From Houston to Lubbock man what a change .Hope you live through it. Ha Darrell
Posted By: Sandwich Maker

Re: West Texas/Alan Henry Crappie - 06/20/16 01:40 AM

Some guys I know in Snyder do well at AH, but at night. I don't know the lake well or have any details other than they set up off of main points and set their lights out. There's guys on here from Lubbock than can tell you more about the lake.

Re: West Texas/Alan Henry Crappie - 06/20/16 09:59 PM

I appreciate it. I can take any help I can get!
Posted By: Sandwich Maker

Re: West Texas/Alan Henry Crappie - 06/21/16 08:47 PM

Bump for info.
Posted By: fergy

Re: West Texas/Alan Henry Crappie - 06/23/16 03:17 AM

Welcome to West Texas. Looks like you got here in time for some dry heat.

This time of year I usually go night fishing at Alan Henry and either go up Sandy Creek or Big Grape. There are some trees along the creek channel that usually turn up some nighttime crappie. I see that you are a student, so I don't know how much time you would have for night fishing.

I did go to the crappie house last Thursday and we caught quite a few small crappie and one 13+ inch as well as a number of bass being caught. Let me know if this is any help.

I'm hoping to get down one night this week & I'll let you know how it goes.
Posted By: Wpatrick862

Re: West Texas/Alan Henry Crappie - 06/24/16 01:19 AM

I haven't been in a little while but plan on trying to make it out there this weekend or trying jb Tomas for the first time. If you go send me a pm. I just fish for crappie, and usually catch a lot of bass instead of crappie at ah.
Posted By: Lucas Loafman

Re: West Texas/Alan Henry Crappie - 06/24/16 12:15 PM

There are some really big crappie in AH, but there are lots of places to hide with all of the old flooded bushes. As has been stated, night fishing is a good option this time of year.

Re: West Texas/Alan Henry Crappie - 06/25/16 04:20 AM

Awesome thanks for the info guys! Just got my LED underwater light. Gonna try it on AH and Buffalo springs

Re: West Texas/Alan Henry Crappie - 06/25/16 04:20 AM

What works best on underwater lights from a boat? Live bait or arties?
Posted By: Mr.GSmith

Re: West Texas/Alan Henry Crappie - 06/26/16 07:26 PM

Bey CB i just moved here also. Don't know anything about AH, but would definitely tag along with you some time to learn it with you. Made the mistake of selling my boat a couple years ago and kicking myself now... Let me know if you want to get out some time. Garrett

Re: West Texas/Alan Henry Crappie - 06/27/16 01:57 AM

I usually fish minnows either tight lined or under a lighted float cast to the edge of the light when I'm night fishing from the boat. If I'm tight lining I put a glow stick at the end of my rod to help see the bite. I've also had nights where the crappie wanted jigs. I usually do best with a white or blue & white maribou at night. Hope that helps a little.

Fergy

Re: West Texas/Alan Henry Crappie - 06/30/16 02:20 AM

CB, my buddy & I are planning on going to AH Thursday evening/night. I'll let you know how it goes if it doesn't fall through.
Posted By: Raiderland

Re: West Texas/Alan Henry Crappie - 07/01/16 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Sandwich Maker
Some guys I know in Snyder do well at AH, but at night. I don't know the lake well or have any details other than they set up off of main points and set their lights out.

I caught a couple of fish there. This advice is about all that's needed.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum