Texas Fishing Forum

Lake lewisville or grapevine

Posted By: Birdman7

Lake lewisville or grapevine - 05/29/16 07:04 PM

I know this has been discussed before but I couldn't find with a quick search. Which lake do you think is a better fishery for crappie? I live right in between the two about the same distance and was curious which one you guys think would be best to learn.
Posted By: SheldonS

Re: Lake lewisville or grapevine - 05/29/16 08:05 PM

Lake Lewisville
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Lake lewisville or grapevine - 05/29/16 11:13 PM

I like both lakes. Currently Grapevine is all messed up with high water and water being released turning the bite off. Lewisville is fishing pretty good right now with a bunch of under' but some quality fish are being caught as well.
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: Lake lewisville or grapevine - 05/30/16 04:08 AM

Both are good Crappie lakes. The secret is learning whichever you pick .Grapevine has some really good structure and can fish in N wind better than Lewisville but is often hard to access due to water level changes.

Lewisville is bigger and has several options, timber, bridges, lots of brushpiles. It's my favorite because I have over 150 brushpiles to fish.

Either choice would be good if you go to the trouble to create some cover. Finding existing stuff works but I like to build my own.

40 years fishing Lewisville probably influences my choice plus my boat lives there.
Posted By: Bradley McCaw

Re: Lake lewisville or grapevine - 05/30/16 04:52 AM

grapevine has been good for me if you can get access into the slips... if your paitent and get through the dinks the keepers definitely show up
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Lake lewisville or grapevine - 05/30/16 03:06 PM

Access probably is the main difference for me. I catch crappie on both lakes - because I took the time to learn both lakes. With the high water level at GV limiting the available boat ramps, there is lots of traffic on them complicating access. If you plan to use the ramps when most other people use them, then you will experience lots of frustration until the other ramps open up. hammer

With all that said - I like them both since I am fortunate to be able to fish during the week. grin

I hope this helps! Good luck and tight lines.

flag texas

Re: Lake lewisville or grapevine - 05/30/16 05:36 PM

Thanks everyone for the help and opinions. I'll probably be fishing more weekday afternoons just because of how crazy both of them can get on the weekends.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Lake lewisville or grapevine - 05/30/16 05:42 PM

Lewisville is the easiest to go out and catch fish on when you are not too familiar with the lake as it has bridges and timber, both of which should have fish on them right now. Grapevine is not only still fluctuating, it is also a lot harder to find crappie on than Lewisville because of the lack of visible structure.
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Lake lewisville or grapevine - 05/30/16 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: fishin'aholic2
Lewisville is the easiest to go out and catch fish on when you are not too familiar with the lake as it has bridges and timber, both of which should have fish on them right now. Grapevine is not only still fluctuating, it is also a lot harder to find crappie on than Lewisville because of the lack of visible structure.

Totally agree with this post! But - if you have a fish finder with sidescan technology - and understand how to use it - you can find some structure along the GV dam, then fish every one of them. Some are no more than rocks piles 3-4 ft high in 22-25 ft of water. Some will hold crappie, and most people don't fish them. thumb

Good luck!

flag texas
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Lake lewisville or grapevine - 05/30/16 07:40 PM

Grapevine does offer timber. You just have to search for it. There is some visible but the submerged timber holds the better fish.
Also the crappie hold good to the rock piles.

On Lewisville I just search for Ernest' 150 brush piles.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Lake lewisville or grapevine - 05/30/16 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Grapevine does offer timber. You just have to search for it. There is some visible but the submerged timber holds the better fish.
Also the crappie hold good to the rock piles.

On Lewisville I just search for Ernest' 150 brush piles.

Yes it does but I was referring to visible timber like Lewisville has. The visible timber in twin coves doesn't hold summer fish very good from what I have heard and the times I have fished it.
Posted By: Davedave

Re: Lake lewisville or grapevine - 05/31/16 12:12 AM

I couldn't find many on the Vine today. Gave up and put my boy on some sandies.

Re: Lake lewisville or grapevine - 06/01/16 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: fishin'aholic2

Well that's not good to hear since I've been out on Lewisville 4 or 5 without even a bite. Biggest thing though is I've never fished for crappie before and am just learning off bass pro seminars, what I've read on here, on the water, and Mr. Paty's dvd. Oh well I'll just keep trying Lewisville and figure it out eventually.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum