Texas Fishing Forum

Docks

Posted By: Luke98

Docks - 05/22/16 03:29 AM

When you KNOW there's crappie holding at a dock what are your general rules ?

Tie up and have a blast ?
Drift by ?
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Docks - 05/22/16 04:24 AM

Katch em!

Re: Docks - 05/22/16 02:37 PM

I was working some brush piles and watched 2 folks come down to this dock and dropped 2 jigs. Instantly had 2 nice slabs. Then the guy went to filleting and the lady stayed catching. She was bringing in all nice solid slabs at a rate he could not keep up with while cleaning. Lasted about 10 min then she went back up to the house. He finished up then went back to the house. They was out sitting on the back porch looking out over the lake.

Was several folks up top all hanging out. I wanted to troll up there and let the kids drop minnows on it but didn't know the laws or such. Did not want any conflict with my kiddos there.
Posted By: DPDALAN

Re: Docks - 05/22/16 02:59 PM

Drift around as long as the dock is unoccupied. I wouldn't tie up, same rules as fishing slips, fish don't touch.

Re: Docks - 05/22/16 04:04 PM

That's what I was thinking. Would never fish a dock while the owners are already on it. I've been beside a dock chasing schooling sandies when the owners came out. Exchanged greetings and eased back a little to give them space & never had any issues growing up. But don't want to teach the kids any bad habits so figured I'd get others opinions.

My aunt lived at a lake when I was a kid. We had a good brush pile under the dock & all the locals knew it. If we was fishing and a new boat was out in the cove we would invite them up to know we had a good pile underneath and let them join in.

Originally Posted By: DPDALAN
Drift around as long as the dock is unoccupied. I wouldn't tie up, same rules as fishing slips, fish don't touch.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Docks - 05/22/16 04:19 PM

Use the trolling motor to hold your position and shoot the jig under the dock and pull those suckers out a their...

Re: Docks - 05/22/16 04:22 PM

I've never done any dock shooting BUT I think it's time I learn so I can teach these kiddos. My boy would love it !
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Docks - 05/22/16 08:13 PM

Do not tie up... Other than that, fish away
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Docks - 05/22/16 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: bush hog
Katch em!

^ This and always respect the dock owners property.
Posted By: CEB73

Re: Docks - 05/23/16 02:25 AM

As a dock owner on a local ET lake, you should never tie up or get on their property, especially when they are using said dock. If your bait gets hung up I understand, tackle is expensive these days. Had a guy and his wife troll up and hold onto our dock while me and my 2 young kids were catching slabs outta brush piles I put out. They dropped their lines less than 2 ft away from us while holding their boat in position by holding onto our dock, I was furious!! When I'm not using it, fish away. There's plenty for all of us. Moral of the story, be respectful to everyone and everyone's property. Some people....

Re: Docks - 05/23/16 03:11 AM

Amen !

Originally Posted By: CEB73
As a dock owner on a local ET lake, you should never tie up or get on their property, especially when they are using said dock. If your bait gets hung up I understand, tackle is expensive these days. Had a guy and his wife troll up and hold onto our dock while me and my 2 young kids were catching slabs outta brush piles I put out. They dropped their lines less than 2 ft away from us while holding their boat in position by holding onto our dock, I was furious!! When I'm not using it, fish away. There's plenty for all of us. Moral of the story, be respectful to everyone and everyone's property. Some people....
Posted By: marschall

Re: Docks - 05/23/16 10:01 AM

Will never understand today's people and the way they are raised. Last spring break the crappie at our slip were just un real. All the hard work of building bamboo condos was paying off. One morning the wife and I went down to OUR slip and a lady and 4 teenagers were in our slip fishing. I ask her if they had any luck and she said yes right here. I then told her that this was our slip that we pay for and please leave. That day we caught around 15 really nice crappie and left them in our basket. Went down the next morning and the basket was moved and all the crappie were gone.

Re: Docks - 05/23/16 12:57 PM

That's plum rediculous !
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum