Texas Fishing Forum

butt handed to me on Lavon Sunday 5/15

Posted By: Brocephus

butt handed to me on Lavon Sunday 5/15 - 05/16/16 10:08 PM

Day started out okay, launched at Brockdale right on time at 2:30 pm, bucket full of minnows and a few rods rigged with some crappie jigs, went north and fished some shallow-ish timber and still green flooded brush, water was 10 - 12, nothing biting. Headed to the Lucas Rd bridge, buddy caught 1 nice slab on a black and pink jig in about 14 feet of water. We went from piling to piling and eventually fished the shallow east side. He caught 1 more undersized on a minnow. Finally moved south into some deeper water, fished tree to tree in 17 to 18 feet of water but didn't get bit again. Finally gave up about 6:15 PM.

I got totally skunked, which vexes me....

To add insult to injury, rods were strapped into a nylon protective cover, they caught wind and flew up out of the boat and onto Lucas Road. Not sure how, or by what miracle from God, but after 3 to 4 vehicles drove over and around them, they did not receive any significant damage. I guess they were laying parallel with the road, and the car that drove over them straddled them perfectly.

The clown show was not over, about 2 miles from my house in Plano, trailer tire blew out on Alma Rd. Of course I didn't have the key to the pad-lock on my spare, so had to un-hook the trailer and leave the boat on the road, drive back home, and return to change the flat.

Got the flat changed, made it back home....exhausted and disgusted.... I guess it was just one of those days where it rains and pours.... Oh well, at least the boat ran well. I'm more annoyed by not catching any crappie! What I am doing wrong? Are they deeper this time of year? Thought about trying timber around Tickey Creek or the tressel bridge and shallows by Mallard Park, are those areas producing better?
Posted By: Hancock's Guide Service

Re: butt handed to me on Lavon Sunday 5/15 - 05/17/16 12:10 AM

I fished that area last Wednesday with similar results. A few small fish but all of my good trees produced nothing.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: butt handed to me on Lavon Sunday 5/15 - 05/17/16 12:35 AM

Caught a nice crappie today on the point at ticky fishing for sandies.. Lil George type bait..? If crappies ain't hitn! Those sandies are!! Nice read and thanks for sharing glad all is well!
Posted By: fishingman007

Re: butt handed to me on Lavon Sunday 5/15 - 05/17/16 12:39 AM

I fished a lot of mainlake brush piles 10 to 20 FOW last friday with same results.
Posted By: Desull

Re: butt handed to me on Lavon Sunday 5/15 - 05/17/16 01:14 AM

I didn't get to go over the weekend but noticed that they increased the water release. That might have made them shut down.
Posted By: Denny Crane

Re: butt handed to me on Lavon Sunday 5/15 - 05/17/16 01:36 AM

Never try to catch Crappie when they're releasing water, check that first.

d
Posted By: Tommy Ezell

Re: butt handed to me on Lavon Sunday 5/15 - 05/17/16 01:54 AM

Timber, piles aren't producing yet. Still a precise bite. It's a suspended pattern and watch your line. Lots of bites on the fall.1/16 is a must and I've used bladed jigs for a couple of weeks now. They'll bite.

It'll get better very soon.
Posted By: Wylie Crappieman

Re: butt handed to me on Lavon Sunday 5/15 - 05/18/16 01:21 AM

I caught 11 today but I fished bushes still. Very slow, but you run into a bush that will produce 1-2 here and there.

Re: butt handed to me on Lavon Sunday 5/15 - 05/18/16 03:46 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I feel better now!

Now... hmm.... bass fish Ray Roberts or try Lavon for crappie again (and maybe sandbass)...
Posted By: fishingman007

Re: butt handed to me on Lavon Sunday 5/15 - 05/18/16 11:44 PM

Ray Roberts!
Posted By: HV Lurenut

Re: butt handed to me on Lavon Sunday 5/15 - 05/19/16 03:38 AM

I would stick with Crappie, but maybe on Ray Roberts. After that rough of a day, your due a great day to balance it out.
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: butt handed to me on Lavon Sunday 5/15 - 05/19/16 07:49 PM

Ray Roberts may not be a smart choice this weekend because there is a CAT tourney on Saturday and an FLW Bass tourney all weekend. I would imagine that there will be a lot of spectator boats shadowing them awesome CAT guys so there could be a lot of boat traffic. All ramps will probably be packed too.

If you do decide to go against my best advice, look for me and I'll autograph your boat or something. roflmao
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: butt handed to me on Lavon Sunday 5/15 - 05/19/16 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: BlueNitro
Ray Roberts may not be a smart choice this weekend because there is a CAT tourney on Saturday and an FLW Bass tourney all weekend. I would imagine that there will be a lot of spectator boats shadowing them awesome CAT guys so there could be a lot of boat traffic. All ramps will probably be packed too.

If you do decide to go against my best advice, look for me and I'll autograph your boat or something. roflmao

This! I would stay as far away from Ray Roberts as I could. Too many boats on the water to enjoy it.

Re: butt handed to me on Lavon Sunday 5/15 - 05/21/16 07:18 PM

Yep! Either going to Athens or Monticelo. Bass n' Crappie. Which lake is hotter?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum