Texas Fishing Forum

Best man made crappie structure

Posted By: toledo puma

Best man made crappie structure - 05/03/16 07:22 PM

My best luck has been with sweet Gum trees, next willow, and then bamboo, all have been successful about a 3rd of the locations. I have lately noticed some pictures of pallets with black irrigation plastic pipe screwed to the pallets roughed up with sand paper to promote algae growth and then a couple to 3 concrete blocks tied to the pallet to anchor. just my experience. would love to hear and or see pictures of the structure that works for you and the things that have had little to no positive results.
Posted By: Keith Speer

Re: Best man made crappie structure - 05/03/16 09:31 PM

Try this...... condos produce lots and lots of crappie for me..... Easy to build and put out....
My 2 cents.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdeRMd6Kssc

Re: Best man made crappie structure - 05/03/16 09:50 PM

Good video. Was this your video and which of those works the best for you
Posted By: larry mays

Re: Best man made crappie structure - 05/03/16 09:57 PM

Be sure to use enough weight, have been out wading a great deal last couple of months and seeing a lot of those things up on the bank are near. With the high water and the wind this year may need a little more.
Posted By: Jacky Wiggins

Re: Best man made crappie structure - 05/04/16 02:16 AM

I found some stake beds on Lewisiville a few years ago and have never caught a single crappie off them. Remember seeing them on the rivers as boy in the 70's. Those are old school for sure.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Best man made crappie structure - 05/04/16 03:57 AM

I have sunk numerous brush piles..cane, 10-14ft PVC trees with irrigation pipe, Christmas trees and willow. IMO, the PVC doesn't hold as many fish as what the natural brush does... One thing I did start doing was using 50# chlorine/shock buckets, setting the brush and cement in the bucket, then drill 4 holes in the side of the bucket perpendicular to one another at the bottom, cut two 3 foot pieces of rebar and insert to form a cross, it helps keep brush upright and from falling over once I drop it into the lake.. I'll also float the brush with a gallon acid jug.
Posted By: crope1

Re: Best man made crappie structure - 05/04/16 04:32 AM

welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted By: toledo puma
My best luck has been with sweet Gum trees, next willow, and then bamboo, all have been successful about a 3rd of the locations. I have lately noticed some pictures of pallets with black irrigation plastic pipe screwed to the pallets roughed up with sand paper to promote algae growth and then a couple to 3 concrete blocks tied to the pallet to anchor. just my experience. would love to hear and or see pictures of the structure that works for you and the things that have had little to no positive results.

Re: Best man made crappie structure - 05/04/16 01:26 PM

I have done the jug tied to the tree top to keep more upright, but the rebar through the bucket to stabilize it is a great idea. I had'nt thought of that one. No doubt there are other ingenious but simple things we can share with each other. In this group theres a bunch of us serious about catching slabs and we can only do that if we can find them. I have always felt that the saying, "build it and they will come", applied to us as well. My experience again seems to be It's hard to beat what mother nature supplies to us meaning the trees and brush that grow wild.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Best man made crappie structure - 05/04/16 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: toledo puma
I have done the jug tied to the tree top to keep more upright, but the rebar through the bucket to stabilize it is a great idea. I had'nt thought of that one. No doubt there are other ingenious but simple things we can share with each other. In this group theres a bunch of us serious about catching slabs and we can only do that if we can find them. I have always felt that the saying, "build it and they will come", applied to us as well. My experience again seems to be It's hard to beat what mother nature supplies to us meaning the trees and brush that grow wild.

Agreed
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: Best man made crappie structure - 05/04/16 03:48 PM

A few coords would be nice...nice condo's btw
Posted By: Keith Speer

Re: Best man made crappie structure - 05/04/16 06:48 PM

I call em crappie condos..... the sticks in the bucket holds crappie the best...
Find a good drop off, place 6 condos along the drop off and another row of 6 behind the first row.
They hold a ton of crappie in the summer pattern..... when the temp. get up to 98 - 100+ is the best time of year.
Posted By: SLABXPRESS

Re: Best man made crappie structure - 05/05/16 01:53 AM

Check these out. Best of both worlds, plastic that lasts and bamboo that produces fish quick. Fish were caught off these within a week. The wide but shallow profile of the concrete base makes it very stable.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt.....#Post11179188
Posted By: Ruffneck2000

Re: Best man made crappie structure - 05/05/16 08:35 PM

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum