Texas Fishing Forum

Mono or Flouro?

Posted By: Pintail711

Mono or Flouro? - 04/26/16 08:24 PM

I've got into shooting docks pretty hard and heavy. I've been using 6# Pline Flouro and I can say without doubt that this has got to be the worst line I've ever used. I thought about using braid but I'd have to cut the line when I hang up. What line works best for you and why?
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/26/16 08:35 PM

I like braid, but mono DOES dock shoot farther/easier.

I can still wrap 12-15 lb braid around my hand and pull/break it. Its stout line, but not "unbreakable".
Posted By: larry mays

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/26/16 09:27 PM

Sounds like you are doing it right, most all company's have a 6 lb. line, I use stren original in clear blue and have for about 50 years.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/26/16 10:19 PM

Mr. Crappie Hi Vis, 6#, is hard to beat especially for the price. Didn't mention what type of reel your using but it's been my experience that spinning reels and fluorocarbon don't work well together. A lot of times while shooting docks the only indication that you had a bite is watching the line jump. That's where the HiVis works really well for me.
Posted By: shill

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/27/16 01:42 AM

Mr crappie 6# hi vis. Also
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/27/16 02:00 AM

I like the orange Suffix 8lb. I use 10lb on my tight line rigs.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/27/16 02:34 AM

6lb clear blue stren on my bridge and dock rods and 10 lb vicious Florocarbon on my timber rods. I will spool a couple with 10lb power pro for deep winter fishing but don't feel I get as many bites on the braid and it doesn't pull loose as well as Floro IMO. Ive tried to colored line and don't feel I get as many bites but that's probably mostly all in my head.
Posted By: Aquiles

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/27/16 03:08 AM

Originally Posted By: bush hog
Mr. Crappie Hi Vis, 6#, is hard to beat especially for the price.

You don't find that this tends to hold curls to much ?

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/27/16 03:12 AM

I bought 8# suffix siege earlier. I'm going to to spool some up and try it tomorrow. Hopefully I'll post a good report.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/27/16 10:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Aquiles

I haven't had too bad of a problem with it. Now, braid on the other hand drives me nuts by wrapping up on the tip of the rod. Hate to admit it but I really have a problem seeing clear line these days. These East Texas lakes stay so murky that I don't feel the HiVis line is costing me any bites.
Posted By: red snappa

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/27/16 11:23 AM

I use the power pro super slick with a mono or flouro leader. I think this braid spools and releases better than any on the market. It has held its color since I put it on my reels last October. Having the leader allows easy breaking of the line for hang ups, and the braid allows for an even slower fall of your jig and makes falling bites on slacker line easier to detect. 2cents
Posted By: RODS454

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/27/16 11:34 AM

Originally Posted By: red snappa
I use the power pro super slick with a mono or flouro leader. I think this braid spools and releases better than any on the market. It has held its color since I put it on my reels last October. Having the leader allows easy breaking of the line for hang ups, and the braid allows for an even slower fall of your jig and makes falling bites on slacker line easier to detect. 2cents

+1^^^^
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/27/16 02:28 PM

If the water is clear, better stay with fluorocarbon. Just use a 2 foot leader.
Posted By: Mike Andrews

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/27/16 02:44 PM

The only time I use mono anymore is for dock shooting. Hi-vis of your choice in 6# or 8#. I'm a fan of Ande Backcountry in the hi-vis green, 8# but have used the Mr. Crappie and Sufix Elite and like both of them just as well.
Posted By: Laner

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/27/16 02:44 PM

In my opinion, and this is just me, mono has better abrasion resistance than does floro. Also, I like a hi-vis mono because of strike detection. Generally speaking, the bite under a dock is a very quick reaction strike, and I don't feel that line and/or jig color makes a huge difference. I don't feel like the fish has enough time to be picky when you put a jig unexpectedly in it's face.

I use 6lb hi-vis Mr. Crappie line spooled onto a Pflueger President reel, if that helps.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/27/16 02:49 PM

Hi-Vis mono it the way to go when shooting docks. Like stated above floro can be a brittle line and you want something strong with some stretch for when that crappie wraps you around a pole and one definitely will at some point.
Posted By: bccougar

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/27/16 04:23 PM

I use 4 or 6 pound Mono. I don't buy expensive line either. I have used 4# for many years and because I don't like line twist and weak spots, I change my line pretty regularly. With a cheap line and a good feel for how to play fish, you will not need an expensive line or even a heavy line. Ive caught 15# carp on Conroe around my dock and had them wrap me in brush and pilings and still got them out. Its all about the drag and the fight. Just my 2 cents. hope that helps.
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/27/16 04:52 PM

IMO, fluro is too stiff and braid is too buoyant to shoot docks. You need something that you can see (hi-viz) and something that you can shoot a 1/16 or 1/32 oz jig and it not interfere with the jigs action on the sink. I've tried just about everything at one time or another for shooting in the last 20 years, and always come back to 6# hi-viz blue Trilene XL. I also like to use a loop knot so the jig has more action on the sink.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/28/16 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Aquiles

I am with you there...I am a spinning reel man...can't use mr. Crappie...too much memory for me. Got a spool for side by side testing comparisons...didn't do well...of course I DO have GOOD reels...maybe that is why it doesn't work...LOL. But some folks like it, so to each his own, in that regard...but if I was in a bind, I would use it...in fact, a few weeks ago, I had to use some of it for a belt! And it performed satisfactorily... partyon

I don't shoot docks, so I can't comment what works for dock shooting...but if I was to try it, I would probably use some hi-vis bonehead or stren original or Berkeley vanish (because I already have about a dozen spools of them laying around...)

But we do have some good dock shooters on the forum, so I would respect what they had to say on the matter...well, as long as they left the mr. Crappie out of it...and if they insisted, I would just have to try it...heck, I still got a big ole spool of it going to waste...
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/28/16 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: The Crappie Guy
IMO, fluro is too stiff and braid is too buoyant to shoot docks. You need something that you can see (hi-viz) and something that you can shoot a 1/16 or 1/32 oz jig and it not interfere with the jigs action on the sink. I've tried just about everything at one time or another for shooting in the last 20 years, and always come back to 6# hi-viz blue Trilene XL. I also like to use a loop knot so the jig has more action on the sink.

I have heard some very good answers to the question...this is one I like the best...and probably the way I would proceed, if someone decided to teach me the sacred art of dock shooting...or show me up, which ever applies...fortunately for me...the lakes I fish have lots of timber and few docks...so I have little opportunity (or need) to learn this fishing style.

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/28/16 03:24 AM

I really appreciate the input... Here's the conclusion I came to today. I took the 6# pline flouro off and respooled with the 8# mono suffix siege and here's the positives... 1. The mono will shoot farther than the flouro... 2. It is extremely abrasion resistant...3. The hook sets seem to be better...5. No where near the memory as mono...... Negatives... 1. It seems to float more... 2. I wasn't able to see or feel the very first bite like I was able to see/feel using flouro... I switched between the loop knot and the palomar from breaking off .. Overall, I won't be using pline anymore but am willing to try another flouro. I ended up with 22 this evening just shooting docks..
Posted By: crope1

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/28/16 05:11 AM

looks like a very nice outing! gotta practice some more at that dock shooting thing....
Posted By: Olhipi

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/28/16 01:22 PM

Use braid and tie on a leader of hivis 6# then you can break it off. Use an Alberto or Blood knot to attach leader to. Braid
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Mono or Flouro? - 04/29/16 01:13 PM

You have to admit - the investigation and field testing is wonderful time spent! thumb

Enjoyed reading everyone's post, and now it is off to the docks to catchem! But I am not dock shootin though.

flag texas
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum