Texas Fishing Forum

Blood Knot

Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Blood Knot - 04/19/16 08:59 PM

I came across this on Facebook and thought I would pass it on. This may have been published before. Here it is again...Enjoy

Posted By: JimmyA

Re: Blood Knot - 04/19/16 11:31 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Blood Knot - 04/20/16 03:41 AM

Cool!
Posted By: DavisGuideService

Re: Blood Knot - 04/20/16 04:10 AM

sweet!
Posted By: crope1

Re: Blood Knot - 04/20/16 10:53 AM

quick question....anyone know if I can use that same knot while using braid and a fluorocarbon leader?
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Blood Knot - 04/20/16 11:19 AM

Not sure about the blood knot; I moved to "uni-knot to uni-knot" as my primary line-joining knot system. I read in two respected sources that it was better than the blood knot. I seem to recall it was also pointed out that it was suitable for joining almost any two line materials.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Blood Knot - 04/20/16 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: crope1
quick question....anyone know if I can use that same knot while using braid and a fluorocarbon leader?

Why don't you try it and let us know...just how strong it is with braid...
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Blood Knot - 04/20/16 12:36 PM

Blood knots are weaker than uni junction knots . . . that are weaker than Improved Albright knots . . . that are weaker than FG knots.

But, a blood knot is a fairly commonly used line junction knot between two lines. The other big issue is a blood knot is such a bulky and thunky knot passing through line guides compared to others. The other three junction knots are much lower profile, hardly larger than the two lines being joined.

For bench work, you should learn to tie an FG, a plaited knot; but, on the water or in cramped surroundings, an Improved Albright knot is super fast and super effective. A uni junction knot, too, is really good and popular but it requires tying two knots, back to back.

A uni knot is the most versatile knot of them all. It can be used for every knot on a spinning reel from the knot to the arbor, to any backing line to the main line, from the main line to a leader, from the leader to terminal tackle. And, it can be left loose like a loop knot when throwing lures for better swinging action. Uni is short for "universal" and for a very good reason.

I always wish we had opportunities to share the sorts of secrets and tips like the guy in the video shared. There are methods for tying each of these knots really fast and effectively.

Brad
Posted By: TexExp

Re: Blood Knot - 04/20/16 06:04 PM

Good stuff Brad. Thanks for sharing.
I use uni to uni for braid to mono, braid to braid... and any other combination. cool

There used to be a good app called "Knot Wars" with easy to follow and pause videos, with red and yellow lines. But that has gone away. frown
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Blood Knot - 04/20/16 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Brad R
Blood knots are weaker than uni junction knots . . . that are weaker than Improved Albright knots . . . that are weaker than FG knots.

But, a blood knot is a fairly commonly used line junction knot between two lines. The other big issue is a blood knot is such a bulky and thunky knot passing through line guides compared to others. The other three junction knots are much lower profile, hardly larger than the two lines being joined.

For bench work, you should learn to tie an FG, a plaited knot; but, on the water or in cramped surroundings, an Improved Albright knot is super fast and super effective. A uni junction knot, too, is really good and popular but it requires tying two knots, back to back.

A uni knot is the most versatile knot of them all. It can be used for every knot on a spinning reel from the knot to the arbor, to any backing line to the main line, from the main line to a leader, from the leader to terminal tackle. And, it can be left loose like a loop knot when throwing lures for better swinging action. Uni is short for "universal" and for a very good reason.

I always wish we had opportunities to share the sorts of secrets and tips like the guy in the video shared. There are methods for tying each of these knots really fast and effectively.

Brad

If you could give us some videos on the subject, it would be most appreciated...to me...and to probably many others...

And thanks for the insight... cheers
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Blood Knot - 04/20/16 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by TexExp

I use uni to uni for braid to mono, braid to braid... and any other combination. cool

There used to be a good app called "Knot Wars" with easy to follow and pause videos, with red and yellow lines. But that has gone away. frown

Posted By: Cast

Re: Blood Knot - 04/20/16 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: TexExp

It's still there when you search but now called Fishing Knots and is loaded with ads. Knot Guide at 1.99 looks better these days.
Posted By: j.steve

Re: Blood Knot - 04/29/16 10:36 PM

That's slick! Thanks.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Blood Knot - 05/02/16 03:01 PM

Awesome. That'll save some time and I like using a blood knot woot

Re: Blood Knot - 05/02/16 03:38 PM

The blood knot (from the app) -

Re: Blood Knot - 05/03/16 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Brad R

Brad
That FG Knot looks like the best of them all. I like it. Works like a Chinese finger trap.

Posted By: Bullet20XrD

Re: Blood Knot - 05/03/16 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: crope1

For braid to flouro, I use an Albright. It's easy to tie once you figure it out. I've caught Tarpon, Yellow and Blackfin Tuna, Marlin, Dorado, and sailfish joining braid to flouro on it and it will hold up to just about anything.

Of course, when crappie/bass fishing I use it on a smaller scale 12 lb braid to 6 lb flouro. I use 7-8 wraps up and 7-8 wraps back down. You clip the tag ends as close to the knot as you want and it won't come loose. Use the flouro to make your loop and the braid from the reel to wrap around the flouro.

You can add a miniscule amount of super glue to the knot if you want but it really isn't necessary once you get good with it.

Absolutely love it for fishing jigs in brush for crappie with a light wire jig hook. If you hang up you just pull slowly until the hook bends free and then bend the hook back.

It also comes through the guides extremely well.
Posted By: Mike Andrews

Re: Blood Knot - 05/04/16 01:56 PM

The Alberto Knot / Modified Albright is what I've been using for several years and I can count on one hand how many line to leader knots I've broken in that time mainly fishing brush. Held up to several big catfish too. Google Alberto Knot and there are several videos on how to tie it. If it weren't for this knot I'd be fishing mono instead of braid & fluoro.

Re: Blood Knot - 05/04/16 02:34 PM

Re: Blood Knot - 05/04/16 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Andrews
The Alberto Knot / Modified Albright is what I've been using for several years and I can count on one hand how many line to leader knots I've broken in that time mainly fishing brush. Held up to several big catfish too. Google Alberto Knot and there are several videos on how to tie it. If it weren't for this knot I'd be fishing mono instead of braid & fluoro.
Posted By: Mike Andrews

Re: Blood Knot - 05/04/16 07:15 PM

The biggest difference I can see between the Modified Albright in Cast's post and the Alberto in Bobcat's is that the Modified Albright is asking for 5 wraps up and back and the Alberto asks for 7 up and back. Quick tip for either one, if you're knot won't draw up and the tag end slips through you didn't take the line (tag end) back through the loop the same direction it came in. If you'll try this a couple of times before you get on the water it's not really hard to learn.
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Blood Knot - 05/05/16 04:32 AM

I tuna fish at night so use very simple knots. My favorite to tie 100 lb flouro to 80lb braid is the slim beauty

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/slim-beauty-knot/
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum