Texas Fishing Forum

Possum Kingdom

Posted By: Daniel Schindler

Possum Kingdom - 04/18/16 04:25 PM

Anyone been catching any out at PK? Just looking for something to pass time out here.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Possum Kingdom - 04/18/16 04:52 PM

PK crappie are a rare treat. I've caught a few this year in Neely Slough and in Bluff Creek. Much better crappie fishing at Lake Palo Pinto. For every crappie I catch at PK I get 50 sand bass. Those crappie are typically in the same area, as they both chase the shad.

Shad were up shallow spawning last week and I was able to catch some for bait. PK is infested with small bass from 8-16 inches. They make catching shad hard as they are constantly harassing them and making them run. Shad are the best crappie bait at PK. Water is very clear and crappie will get a real good look at your bait.
Posted By: Daniel Schindler

Re: Possum Kingdom - 04/18/16 05:05 PM

Thanks PK. Im just Living here for the summer and working so I was just trying to pass some time. Ive got the bass boat but I was just thinking of maybe drowning some minnows in the evenings some.
Posted By: Jerry T.

Re: Possum Kingdom - 04/18/16 05:33 PM

Went with an friend last week for about an hour's worth of fishing before dark. Water clarity was insane....

Fished 15-30 fow and caught spawning fish in the tops of trees at 2'-4' from the top of the water!

Ended up with a dozen or so bass (all SMALL) and 10-15 crappie, with 6-7 keepers.

Got a text (picture) from my friend this morning and all the rain has turned the water brown....

I'll hit it again for an evening, will probably be 2 weeks, and I'll update this thread if we do any good.
Posted By: BrazosRiverTom

Re: Possum Kingdom - 04/18/16 05:46 PM

I have not heard of anyone doing any good at Lake Palo Pinto. So I have not tried there for a few months. Have been going to Graham, not to bad there. PK can be a hit and miss for crappie. PK is no longer known for it's crappie. Hopefully that will change. Lake Leon can be pretty good for crappie. Hope this helps.

Re: Possum Kingdom - 04/19/16 02:18 PM

Jerry: You need to send those pics to TPWD,

http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/possum_kingdom/

Predominant Fish Species

Largemouth bass
White Crappie
Striped & white bass
Channel & blue catfish

The state apparently does not know black crappie are in PK. I catch them occasionally. I've tried to fish shallow at PK but never had success. I think if fish get shallow at Pk they end up in an Osprey or Blue Heron. Really tough to crappie fish in a lake with 15 foot viability.

Re: Possum Kingdom - 04/19/16 02:20 PM

Tom: are you fishing the bridge or the lake? Been thinking about trying up there and maybe taking my boat up to the bridge, I went up rock creek last week past the 16 bridge but didn't mark but a few fish. That creek is full of gar so I don't think many crappie are up there.
Posted By: BrazosRiverTom

Re: Possum Kingdom - 04/19/16 03:03 PM

I have been fishing the second bridge. Not taking the boat, just driving up. Staying each time till around 11 P.M. Seems the bigger ones are biting after dark. From what I have been told though only about a week or more then the crappie will be moving back into the main lake. Then I will start taking my boat again. Now if you have been catching or hearing of anyone catching good crappie at Palo Pinto Lake, then I will try there again too, with my boat.

Now I have not been catching many but around 5 each time, and I stay about 11 hours. But I have observed others catching a lot. Just that I am not a very good fisherman, but I keep trying. My turn is coming one of these days. I also do not go if it is windy, like 15 mph or more. It is to much of a hassle.

Re: Possum Kingdom - 04/19/16 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: PKfishin
Jerry: You need to send those pics to TPWD,

http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/possum_kingdom/

Predominant Fish Species

Largemouth bass
White Crappie
Striped & white bass
Channel & blue catfish

The state apparently does not know black crappie are in PK. I catch them occasionally. I've tried to fish shallow at PK but never had success. I think if fish get shallow at Pk they end up in an Osprey or Blue Heron. Really tough to crappie fish in a lake with 15 foot viability.

I can't believe they haven't recognized Black Crappie yet... We didn't catch a single White.

I just left you a voicemail, feel free to call me back and we'll see if we can't figure out the PK crappie situation for ya. We fished out of a ski rig that had no trolling motor. Had to push and coast with the wind from tree to tree. If we'd been in a proper rig, I think we could've done much better. I'm hearing about/seeing pictures of 2+lb crapping coming out of PK in the last few weeks, surprised me. I've seen 3 pictures of fish over 2.5lbs.

That being said, we were fishing the clearest water I've ever seen and after the rain, my buddy sent me a picture of what now looks like chocolate milk rather than lake water. I plan to fish it again sometime during the first part of May and will update you if the success continues.
Posted By: TexExp

Re: Possum Kingdom - 04/19/16 04:31 PM

Those are really black!
They look like black crappie from up north. I guess it is the same clear water like they predominately have un north. My lake is a mud hole compared to that. lol
But I love her! cool
Posted By: larry mays

Re: Possum Kingdom - 04/20/16 12:00 AM

Those are sure some nice fish, love the color.

Re: Possum Kingdom - 04/20/16 12:38 PM

TPWD acknowledges the presence of Black Crappie in PK; I've attached their reply (with names removed as I didn't ask to post publicly):

Quote:

I am ***** ****, a biologist for TPWD and one of the biologists in charge of Possum Kingdom. Your e-mail was passed on to me. Thank you for the pictures of the black crappie you caught and congratulations. We have sampled black crappie in all but one crappie survey we have completed at PK so we are aware they are present in low abundance. We don't talk about them much, because we consider them more of a minor species compared to white crappie which we have always found to be much more abundant. We have sampled between 2-47 times as many white crappie as black crappie in the last 8 surveys we have completed. It does not surprise me that the black crappie numbers might be up this year since we are seeing it at many of our area lakes, even ones that never had black crappie in the past. With the flooding the last year, tanks are over flowing and fish are washing into area lakes. The private fish sellers sell black crappie to the tank owners so that is what is washing in. It will be interesting to see if they become established in some of the area waters.

Re: Possum Kingdom - 04/20/16 02:25 PM

Jerry, looks like PK is doing good but I would think with the numbers they have been around for a few years. And looking at the fish I would think over next few years things will be good. But years 5-7 will tell the guys what they are doing and if they are getting what is good for them to eat. Plus is the water right for them. What the man or lady from TPWD is telling you guys is if you get a 3 at this time, most likely from a stock pond.

Re: Possum Kingdom - 04/20/16 04:35 PM

Larry: PK will have a lot of crappie soon. The lake is full and we'll have a great spawn. Plus, lots of the big stripers went over the dam when they opened the floodgates and instead of eating crappie they were carried out by locals in five gallon buckets. If a game warden would have worked the dam after the flood he could have fined hundreds of people for over limits. I guess they figured the stripers would starve anyway so might as well let people eat them.
Posted By: Luke98

Re: Possum Kingdom - 04/21/16 12:53 AM

Palo Pinto has been dead from what I've been seeing. Haven't heard of much action either.

Leon is giving up a few nice ones ! But I'm sure all that changed Saturday night when the flood waters hit. Caught 11 over 2 Saturday evening during the rain.

Originally Posted By: BrazosRiverTom
I have not heard of anyone doing any good at Lake Palo Pinto. So I have not tried there for a few months. Have been going to Graham, not to bad there. PK can be a hit and miss for crappie. PK is no longer known for it's crappie. Hopefully that will change. Lake Leon can be pretty good for crappie. Hope this helps.

Re: Possum Kingdom - 04/21/16 02:15 AM

This is not a old man story, because its about me and I am young. But, growing up in the late 50's we only had 3 lakes and they was Lake Texoma, PK, and Caddo and not any of them day trips back then. All lake fishing was week-end are week long trips. So I learn to crappie fish in creeks and rivers for the most part. They may have been a few more that I didn't know about but, Lake of the pines close the gates and starting catching water Dec, 1959 and that is where on opening day I fish my first hand tied jigs that I did my self. Of the 4 lakes I all ways did like PK and LOP best to take the family and camp out and stay a while.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum