Texas Fishing Forum

What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn

Posted By: Ken Gaby

What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/16/16 01:50 PM

Been several posts lately about what's happened to the spawn. People (me) can't seem to get on the bite up shallow. Been hit or miss for lots of folks.

This year there was warmer weather early and not any really cold weather to drop water temps as in other years. Water temps reached 60+ sooner than I can remember and stayed there. Also had a lot of water coming into most lakes with the Jan-March rains. Water levels up and down frequently. Lots of new ground and vegetation for fish to spawn in and hide.

I think the spawn is going right on schedule. Some fish already spawned and others getting ready. With so much new ground covered by water and temps at 60+ early, there are thousands more places for the fish to be than most years. Usually, the protected water in backs of coves warms first and the crappie migrate there when mother nature calls. That's still the case but there has been lots of 60+ degree water in all the coves this year starting in late Feb, early March. Fish are more scattered than usual and harder to locate. At least that's my excuse. roflmao

With the influx of water in most all the lakes east of IH 35 the past two springs, I believe there has been excellent spawns of crappie and the survival rate should be very high. 2018 thru 2020 should be excellent crappie years with strong year classes.

Hoping you find 'em and feel the THUMP. fish
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/16/16 02:05 PM

Good read Ken! Thanks
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/16/16 02:16 PM

The water level going up and down during the spawn has always made for a tough shallow bite for me. This year has been no exception. Hopefully this flooding will stop soon and the lakes and fish will be able to settle down.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/16/16 02:34 PM

ken good thoughts hit n miss mostly miss am wade fishn mostly hit it hard fri since we are in for flood weather was good only pulled 11 lost few ? maybe need to cover more water?youthink gonna be shallow for awile longer , lakes are gonna be in flood stage againnnnnnnn
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/16/16 02:44 PM

I think here, if your looking for a shallow bite this coming full moon, I'd look at the coves from the 515 East & West bridges towards the dam. This water warmed up later than the North ends of the lake, so the fish in that area should be ready to make the move shallow.
I'm not saying you will not find any spawners on the north ends, but I believe they are the smaller females that have yet to move up....at least that is what I'm noticing with the fish I've been catching lately.
I'm by no means claiming to be a Crappie Spawn expert, but this is how it always worked with bass and I see no reason why crappie would be any different.
And I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night roflmaoroflmaoroflmao
I plan to explore my theory when able cheers
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/16/16 10:39 PM

I hate spawning crappie. Get this mess over with!! Bring on easy to catch postspawn fish!!! thumb
Posted By: have_rod_reel_travel

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/16/16 11:42 PM

I have no clue whats going on, went to Ray Roberts Thursday and couldn't find fish shallow. We found a good number in 25ft 12 to 18 ft down, with most females full of eggs and some dark males...

Posted By: Ruffneck2000

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/16/16 11:50 PM

Good read Ken! Thanks thumb
Posted By: Hickory Nut

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/17/16 12:46 AM

I cleaned the fish from Thurs and mine from Fri. There were more spawned out females than ones still spawning. Good read and the future fishing should be fantastic.

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/17/16 01:28 AM

That should have made a nice pile of filets Hickory Nut. Good talking with you Thur. Next time I'm over that way, maybe we can both pile in the beast with Tbox and hit some spots. thumb
Posted By: Hickory Nut

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/17/16 03:00 AM

Sounds good, maybe by then the new flooring will be broken in and we can wear our shoes roflmao
Posted By: Jacob

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/17/16 03:53 AM

In deer hunting, we'd call this a trickle rut.

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/17/16 06:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Jacob
In deer hunting, we'd call this a trickle rut.
thumb
Posted By: Lucas Loafman

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/17/16 07:26 PM

Ken,

I caught a few in Cedar Ridge last Saturday with mom and dad on the flooded growth in 3 foot of water. Almost all females, so it looks like Belton is on the backside of the spawn.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/17/16 08:03 PM

Lucas I checked there 2 days ago, no luck. the water is looking clear back there, not much signs of life. got a few nibbles from perch near the rock walls.
fished the submerged timber line on smitty point and nothing hoppin. ha
found something better though. deep!!
Posted By: leanin post

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/17/16 08:05 PM

ps.. I think Belton is going to be just fine!!! thumb

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/17/16 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: leanin post
Lucas I checked there 2 days ago, no luck. the water is looking clear back there, not much signs of life. got a few nibbles from perch near the rock walls.
fished the submerged timber line on smitty point and nothing hoppin. ha
found something better though. deep!!
slinger hooked You found my hole lol!
Posted By: crapicat

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/19/16 12:01 PM

Ken, nice discussion. I spent all last week catching fish in 6 inches of water, tight lining within 12 inches of the bank. The females I caught had eggs that were almost ready to be laid, but I mostly caught males. Best I can tell, Easter came early and the spawn is happening right on time. The warm water temps and high water conditions have convoluted the process for most folks though. Folks that can't seem to locate the fish shallow are not fishing tight enough to the cover...they are IN the cover, not BY the cover. Staging areas can be productive right now...In fact, I watched a fish eagle grab a female crappie off of a staging area on Friday...I was very close by and she was huge...I asked him if he wanted to trade, but I got no reply!

Of course, the early spawners are already back out in deeper water (same as every year) trying to recover from the rigors of spawning.

I did notice that all coves were not being equally used this year, as much as prior years. Seems that the coves with quick access to deeper water were doing the best...in fact, that was THE determining factor on whether I was gonna find fish or not...go get you some...

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/19/16 02:18 PM

With low lake levels the past several years, crappie picked what they could for cover to spawn. We forget just how much they like lots of cover to spawn. Notice where Carey Thon is catching them; right in the jungle stuff. They will be in tangled messes for sure.

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/20/16 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
With low lake levels the past several years, crappie picked what they could for cover to spawn. We forget just how much they like lots of cover to spawn. Notice where Carey Thon is catching them; right in the jungle stuff. They will be in tangled messes for sure.

LOL, I'm STILL cleaning twigs, limbs, and brush out of my boat! Took a friend one day last week (who never fished this way) that couldn't believe what he was seeing...said he never saw a crappie come in the boat with his mouth around the end of the pole! Said it was combat fishing alright, except more like a Seal Team 5 Extraction exercise to him...whereupon, he borrowed an extra reel I keep spooled up with braid and joined me...he sure was wishing for a stiffer rod after a few worked him /his rod over In those treetops! He just couldn't get over using a 10ft pole with only a foot of line off the tip end and catching crappie that way...After we got back to the ramp, he decided that maybe there is good cause for different types of equipment (stiff rods, braid, etc.)...To which I graciously replyed, Yes Sir you are right...
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/20/16 02:55 PM

Hi Crapicat,

What 10 ft pole are you using? I've never felt one that I thought was stiff enough. They all seem to be very flimsy. I would like to get one that is much stiffer than the typical 10 footer I see in the box stores.

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/20/16 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: TwoLakes
Hi Crapicat,

What 10 ft pole are you using? I've never felt one that I thought was stiff enough. They all seem to be very flimsy. I would like to get one that is much stiffer than the typical 10 footer I see in the box stores.

Bonehead 10's...incredibly strong backbone, tough, fast tip, well balanced, and incredibly sensitive...hogs those fish out of the thick stuff...nothing else even comes close...and I have tried virtually every rod I can get my hands on...they just won't perform let alone survive in my kind of fishing...man, I have broke so much tackle even stuff folks are always bragging on, it just doesn't take long for me to sort out the good from the junk...Last week, my buddy could not believe the abuse I put my rod through (of course I do that on a regular basis), even whipped a few snakes out of the way so I could fish below them...lol....Basically, I destroy lesser rods, regardless of cost...I am tough on rods, so I have to fish the best available rod I can get my hands on. Anyway, that's how I roll and that's what I fish...

Guess that makes me the "Pigman" of Crappie Fishing...because I get in there and root them out. LOL

Even when I fish deep water brushpiles, casting, bridges, etc., I still prefer the Boneheads over other offerings. They are well worth the money they cost...especially, for me, because I abuse equipment more so than most folks...hope this information helps, Twolakes
Posted By: TexExp

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/20/16 05:58 PM

Good read and right-on Ken.

Also, the creeks seem to have been more consistent, if you could find the right places.

Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/21/16 03:29 AM

Thanks Crapicat. You must have learned to get up in the thick brush on Wright Patman. laugh

I'll have to get my hands on a BoneHead and see how it feels. Sounds like I'll end up buying one.

Re: What's Happened - Happening - To The Spawn - 04/21/16 04:12 AM

Originally Posted By: TwoLakes
Thanks Crapicat. You must have learned to get up in the thick brush on Wright Patman. laugh

I'll have to get my hands on a BoneHead and see how it feels. Sounds like I'll end up buying one.

Yep! Maudlin lake area, to be exact! All along that stuff the creek and river...Man, if I ever get back over that way, I keep a spare on hand of every length, and I could bring'em with me...for testing purposes! I hear the crappie are going nuts below the dam where the old crappie house used to be...I miss fishing there...

I like the 7's and 8's on the boat and 10's in the rough stuff and on the bank...that 10' is a well balanced treetop and brush tank when paired with a 2500 or 3000 Shimano spinner and as sensitive as anything on the market. Heck, I have gotten bit and by the time I figured out what happened(involuntary reflexes happen with these rods) I got a pound fish flying over my head clear on the other side of the boat..LOL....Plus, I wouldn't be scared to take it salmon fishing...sounds crazy, but I am totally serious...Warning they do take a little getting used to...small easy hook sets via a flick of the wrist or a pull on the line with your offhand is all that is necessary...and remedial training is occasionally needed...LOL
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum