Texas Fishing Forum

Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? Pricing added !

Posted By: Carver

Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? Pricing added ! - 04/14/16 10:14 PM

Just thinking out loud here. ( Mods if this is the wrong place to ask, just move it and correct me )

I have cut a couple of large custom HDPE cutting boards in the last year that got shipped across the country. They covered the whole surface of a truck tailgate. I am about to buy some more for a new project and just wanted to see if anyone had any interest. I can add blood grooves, or knife slots etc. to make it exactly like you would need. I do this type ( CNC cutting ) of work for a living and can do pretty much anything you need. I thought I might pick up a few extra sheets of HDPE while making a run for a wood smoker manufacturer.

Send me a PM or just post up here if you don't mind your project being public. Let me know the size and any customization you might want and I'll get you a price. Right now turn-around would be under a week and in most cases just a day or two.. I am located in Garland near Shiloh and Forest Lane. My best personal email is in the dallascnc.com link below.

Thanks, Phill
Posted By: lookingfor25

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/15/16 01:45 AM

Do you have a picture?

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/15/16 02:44 PM

I make them custom, but I can take a picture of my 2'x4' tonight. I'll post it when I get home. I'll be cutting some new ones for trucks next week and can do one for my own so I will have something to show you.

If enough people are interested I am going to include them in a website I am working on right now as "stock products".

They are made from white "Food Grade HDPE" I can get black material ( much cheaper ) that is identical in chemical make up but it is not certified food grade. The food processing industry has specific colors that can be used for different product lines.
HDPE color codes:
red = beef,
yellow = fowl ( chicken ),
blue = fish
green = vegatbles
etc.

Thanks, Phill
Posted By: Sandwich Maker

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/15/16 09:25 PM

I used to save old cutting boards when I would replace them at one of my Subways. I can tell you it's nice to have a full board on the tailgate. A good 12 volt knife and you can knock out a pile of fillets in no time. Clean up is easier than cleaning up the shop or kitchen. I clean them at the lake, dump the remains in the lake, take a rag and wade out with the board and clean it up. Put the fillets in a ZipLoc bag with some clean water and when I get home they're ready for a final rinse.

So....you have a great idea. Hope enough people will try it. If they do they'll never go back to a smaller board for mobile cleaning.
Posted By: JimmyA

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/16/16 12:08 AM

Interested....
Posted By: SpinFly

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/16/16 02:22 AM

Hello neighbor, live a mile south of you on Robin. May be interested another time. Will keep an eye out.
Posted By: pepop

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/16/16 03:12 AM

I'd like to see your pictures. I just this week got a new crew cab Silverado so I may not be ready YET to clean fish on that purdy tailgate, but that time will come and I might just buy 1 for future use.
Posted By: Alan Yakson

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/16/16 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By: lookingfor25
Do you have a picture?
thumb
Posted By: Abbott (MCM Tackle)

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/17/16 12:23 AM

would like to see some pics and prices
Posted By: Mike Andrews

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/17/16 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Abbott
would like to see some pics and prices

+1
Posted By: dfd51

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/17/16 01:47 AM

I would be very interested. What kind of price range for a 2'x 4' piece?
Posted By: BassnJAK

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/17/16 01:54 AM

wopics
Estimated price?
Posted By: texboxer

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/17/16 08:50 AM

Pics and prices please. I will go from there.
Posted By: opus

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/17/16 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: texboxer
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/17/16 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: texboxer

Same here, Technically, I am very interested...as I clean on my tailgate...
Posted By: jettyrat

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/17/16 05:21 PM

interested 2x4 with 6" hole to build a game/fish processing table

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/17/16 06:10 PM

Sorry guys I really kinda blindsided myself with this one. I was expecting a couple of folks interested but have over 2 dozen responses in my PM's and direct emails from my website. I will not be able to get some real photos up until probably Tuesday afternoon. I thought I was headed back to Texoma where I have some of my own boards but the weather and last weeks hail damage changed my plans. I didn't know we had penetrations of the roof until this morning's rain.

These are my cad models that I cut from regularly just for reference. Since I look to my customers to tell me specifically what they need for a particular truck, I seldom have detailed dimensions from different years and models of trucks.

I can add or change blood lines or add a pocket or two for holding things at no extra charge for TFF members right now.

In the near future, They can be provided with drawer slide on the back that allow them to slide partially or completely off the tailgate.

I have two jobs being quoted right now for custom curved boards that match a section of a gunnel and are extended inboard a few inches with slots cut for rod holders. The bottom 2 pics are rod holders I use on my kayaks but are made from black ABS (like a car bumper). I will cut similar slots in the gunnel cutting boards to hold rods.

The 20x48, 20x60 and 24x48 are the most popular I make. The sizes are nominal and will come in just a fraction of an inch smaller. If you custom order one, it will be exactly as you specify.
Stock sizes:
20x48 $60
24x48 $70
20x60 $85

Custom cuts need to be quoted individually

I have couple of folks in direct contact with me requesting shipping costs etc. I will not be able to address this until mid week while I find appropriate packaging etc.

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/17/16 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: jettyrat
interested 2x4 with 6" hole to build a game/fish processing table

Just let me know where you want the hole and it will be the same price as the stock 2x4. Small mods like this don't really cost me a lot of time or trouble.

Thanks, Phill
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/17/16 06:19 PM

I love a large cutting board. I have 18" x 36" and it sure is handy. a 4 footer would be handy for large stripers etc.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/17/16 07:28 PM

I have a 3' x 1.5' piece of counter top that was cut off during a new home installation. I keep it in the back of my truck and it works great. Can't get any cheaper than free!
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/17/16 08:07 PM

FYI..

Do not leave at car wash for even a second.

Yep. I had one. HAD!!
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/17/16 08:59 PM

What's the thickness?

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/17/16 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
What's the thickness?

1/2" typically. But I can get any thickness. The price is relative to the thickness. Most of the price is in material cost.
Posted By: Jerry T.

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/18/16 05:37 PM

Impressive material, Mr. Pittman!
Posted By: yakintime

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/18/16 10:51 PM

Very nice Carver! Simple and efficient........always the best!

Re: Any interest in tailgate sized cutting boards? - 04/19/16 02:58 PM

Here are the TFF prices and they can change as quickly as the price of oil.

The 20x48, 20x60 and 24x48 are the most popular I make. The sizes are nominal and will come in just a fraction of an inch smaller. If you custom order one, it will be exactly as you specify.
Stock sizes in 1/2" material:
20x48 $60
24x48 $70
20x60 $85

Custom cuts need to be quoted individually, but most will fall in this same general price range unless they are unusually shaped and do not fit on the sheets with other stock products.

Packaging if I need to ship will be $6.50 That is my actual cost of a box that fits and bubble wrap. I may find another source with better pricing, but his is the best I can do right now.
Shipping cost will be determined by weight and location for each order, but I pass it through at actual cost.

I will be adding some 5/16 holes on the perimeter to drop a pin or bolt through to keep the part from sliding around if you do not mount it. I am sure these will evolve further with input from users so do not hesitate to ask for improvement or new features.

I can take most plastic, Paypal and always cash. but do not have it set up on my website yet.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum