Texas Fishing Forum

Broke my first pro angler

Posted By: Outfitter Nomore

Broke my first pro angler - 04/06/16 08:29 PM

Not a rant about Pro Angler but how great these rods are. Fishing Grapevine today had had no bites . Turn away for a second and the rod goes down, raise the rod it almost gets yanked out of my hand. I know this is no crappie. After a 35min. fight I get to see a flathead around 30lbs. Almost in the net and one last surge and he snaps the rod tip and straightens out the hook. That rod took some drastic punishment and probably wouldn't have broken the tip except it caught in the net. only fish on for the day but enjoyed the fight.
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/06/16 09:08 PM

Pro Angler rod's are the best bang for the buck, as far as I am concerned. There are better rods out there (I am sure??), but most are WAY more expensive.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/06/16 09:21 PM

Langdon has a Pro Angler 5' rod he got at the CAT Crappiefest the first year they had it and it's by far the toughest rod he's owned! I honestly can't tell you how many rods I've replaced of his in that time frame but not the Pro Angler!! thumb

We actually have 7-8 now in the boat.
Posted By: Carver

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/06/16 09:22 PM

I left a 20AH lead acid battery in my yak hull ( on a light bouncy trailer ) by accident last week and it rode on top of a Pro Angler 10' crappie rod all the way to Fork. It was resting 6" in from the joint, and the rod looked like someone that was mad at it had a sledge hammer. First one I have ever broken. I was broken-hearted because it is my "GoTO" rod when I am tight lining and I only took the one of that version. I will be heading out to Ed's place soon for a replacement tip and probably another new rod or two. My shorter PA's caught a couple of nice flatheads while crappie fishing and I never ever worry about the rod. I have broken 4 rods in the last 10 years, but never a PA.
Posted By: larry mays

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/06/16 09:39 PM

I have not had that happen this year yet, but most years a few times. Just think, was it worth it? I always think it was well invested money on a nice day.
Posted By: angler management

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/06/16 09:47 PM

I've got 18 PA's and have broken 3 tips in 5 years and all 3 were my fault and never on a fish. Dam good rods for the money.
Posted By: Tommy Ezell

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/06/16 10:48 PM

Ed and Bob are awesome as well! thumb
Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/06/16 11:51 PM

I have two 8 footers. Tough but super sensitive. Definitely my go to rods. thumb
Posted By: Ruffneck2000

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/07/16 12:05 AM

Got mine a few months ago and im really impressed! hooked into a 46lb Buffalo while crappie fishing with 6lb test and landed it in about 15 minutes. Good rod!
Posted By: koobycrappie

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/07/16 03:27 AM

It's all I use and probably have 12 PA rods of various lengths....
I fish with them all the time and have yet to break one.
Great service, great rods, great price!

You can't go wrong with PRO ANGLER PERIOD! thumb
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/07/16 04:04 AM

Well, I'm kinda hard on rods, so I don't fish them much...I won 9ft PA with two tip sections., at a bid auction...I got one tip section left...broke the first one pretty quick, but I realize I am the exception... cheers

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/07/16 04:08 AM

You sure it's a PA? I don't think they sell a 9 footer.

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/07/16 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By: koobycrappie
popcorn popcorn2Ill wait LMAO!

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/07/16 04:20 AM

Yea I'm sure...it's a 9ft PA Jerry Hancock/Paul Obier Signature Series...

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/07/16 04:26 AM

I guess that was one of their old models....

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/07/16 04:33 AM

Best I recall, two years ago...is when I picked it up..I know it wasn't last year
Posted By: Mike Andrews

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/07/16 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By: crapicat

Yea I'm sure...it's a 9ft PA Jerry Hancock/Paul Obier Signature Series...

They don't currently but they did, my first pair were 9'
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/07/16 01:03 PM

One of the best, toughest, and cheapest on the market thumb thumb

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/08/16 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Action_Jackson
One of the best, toughest, and cheapest on the market thumb thumb

If you are into a good, cheap crappie rod...Shakespeare Micro series, UL, is a good way to go...seems like they have the same blank as PA (based solely on my side to side testing), just not as many eyelets (which does make a difference) and not as many length options as PA (which also makes a difference)...but for $20 out the door (Wally world) they will do in a pinch...which I was, when I bought that rod...got more than what I expected or paid for...I am assuming Wally World still sells them, but don't know for sure...

The PA's are fairly sensitive rods and fine for boat fishing or where you have lots of room for the arch and/or hookset motion....Personally, I do better with a stiffer backbone rod with a very fast action tip. Most of the fishing I do can be considered "Combat Style" fishing, where maneuvering room is limited (or non-existent) and where hooksets must be nothing more than a pull of the line with your offhand or just a flick of the wrist. That is why I said I am hard on rods, because of my style of fishing, not because I disagree with your perspectives.
Posted By: Tomadams

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/09/16 12:30 AM

I broke a PA this year too. I had caught a few hybrid with it but when I was casting with a small weighted bobber for crappie on another trip...the thing just snapped. Had it for 2 years. I bought a new tip. Afraid to break it again.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/09/16 01:07 AM

Shakespeare and PA are definitely not the same blank. PA uses a blank material that is far superior to the Shakespeare. The Shakespeare is still IM6 graphite I believe. PA blank is one of the newest generation graphite.
And PA did have a 9 ft. Those are 15+ yrs old. The blank material has improved many times since the first rods.

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/09/16 05:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
Shakespeare and PA are definitely not the same blank. PA uses a blank material that is far superior to the Shakespeare. The Shakespeare is still IM6 graphite I believe. PA blank is one of the newest generation graphite.
And PA did have a 9 ft. Those are 15+ yrs old. The blank material has improved many times since the first rods.

hmmm Well, Ken, not that I disagree with you or anything, just wondering how I got a "New" PA rod two years ago, donated by PA folks to a forum auction, that is/was made over 15 years ago...If you know the answer, Please Advise, because that just doesn't add up in my book...maybe the guys at PA would care to explain this situation to me...because I would hate to have to call BS on anyone...

Also, what type of graphite version are the PA rods currently, since you seem to know them very well.
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/09/16 12:21 PM

If I remember right Paul had to order 500 rods to get his first order .Im guessing it was a left over .Darrell

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/09/16 02:17 PM

DW to the rescue...Now that makes sense to me...got any idea when he ordered them?

thumb cowboy
Posted By: crope1

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/09/16 07:32 PM

didn't know if you were aware of this,Ed sells replacement sections for the pa rods.nice read.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/10/16 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: crapicat
Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby

hmmm Well, Ken, not that I disagree with you or anything, just wondering how I got a "New" PA rod two years ago, donated by PA folks to a forum auction, that is/was made over 15 years ago...If you know the answer, Please Advise, because that just doesn't add up in my book...maybe the guys at PA would care to explain this situation to me...because I would hate to have to call BS on anyone...

Also, what type of graphite version are the PA rods currently, since you seem to know them very well.

Dale, according to Ed at PA, the 9 footer was last made in 2001. And the way this happens; I've got a B&M rod that I won at a tournament 7 years ago. Never been used, brand new. But it's not brand new from the mfg. I plan to donate it to a raffle one day. I donated one to the tournament Clay Epperson had on Palestine 3 years ago. That rod was a few years old but "brand new". There are a few distributors of PA rods and one of those guys could have had the rod for some time and donated it.

And the blank material will remain a secret. There's been two rod mfgs call Ed inquiring what type material is in the latest blank and Ed will not reveal that info. So I don't know what it is. But rest assured it's far different than a Shakespeare. If you look at a PA above the handle where the info is printed on the rod, you'll notice a warning label about lightning. That's required due to the type and amount of graphite in the blank. More of that material equals lighter, more sensitive, and stiffer.

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/11/16 01:32 AM

I believe that about wraps this story up.
Thanks for the clarification Ken.
Sometimes old stuff is new to the beholder! de

Re: Broke my first pro angler - 04/11/16 01:46 AM

+1
I believe that about wraps this story up.
Thanks for the clarification Ken.
Sometimes old stuff is new to the beholder! de
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum