Lake Fork crappie - 04/05/16 03:58 AM

sure are odd looking.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Lake Fork crappie - 04/05/16 12:08 PM

I bet that stretched the old line!!

Gman
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Lake Fork crappie - 04/05/16 12:30 PM

She gave the drag a good workout too. That Mr. Crappie Hi-Vis is good line.
Posted By: SK.

Re: Lake Fork crappie - 04/05/16 01:29 PM

Although fighting those things are fun they sure do get in the way a lot.....
Wish more folks released'em in Lake Crisco.....LOL
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Lake Fork crappie - 04/05/16 01:34 PM

Trashfish!!! roflmao

They're fun till they're stealing your keeper crappie! Had one get 5 last year during the TFF fun tourney on Fork last Nov and we didn;t have 7 in the boat! Dang thieves!! whip
Posted By: Gmann

Re: Lake Fork crappie - 04/05/16 05:43 PM

Ran into one of those a few weeks back

Posted By: bush hog

Re: Lake Fork crappie - 04/05/16 08:55 PM

Pesky critters aren't they.
Posted By: BCJC82

Re: Lake Fork crappie - 04/06/16 01:53 AM

I told a couple guys under the bridge once fishing with brim to make sure they keep 'em if the are over the slot. They said they'd just let them go. I sure don't. I like my crappie more than the bass that steal them on the way up. When I see the tail of a 14-15 inch crappie sticking out of a basses mouth I grab the oar and start a swinging.
Posted By: happycampr

Re: Lake Fork crappie - 04/06/16 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: BCJC82
When I see the tail of a 14-15 inch crappie sticking out of a basses mouth I grab the oar and start a swinging.
That sounds like a good way to get beat up at the ramp fishing Fork!!! bolt
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: Lake Fork crappie - 04/06/16 10:57 AM

Originally Posted By: happycampr
When I see the tail of a 14-15 inch crappie sticking out of a basses mouth I grab the oar and start a swinging.
That sounds like a good way to get beat up at the ramp fishing Fork!!! bolt

roflmao
I release all of them back into the lake......
noidea Not sure if that's the ingrained CPR (Catch, Photograph& Release) that was still lingers from my bass fishing days or the fact that I don't often keep crappie, as I have all that Belinda & I can eat for a couple of months in the freezer.......
To be truthful, I now feel sorry for the bass......This June will be 2 years that we have been here at lake Fork and I see daily how much they get pounded
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Lake Fork crappie - 04/06/16 06:27 PM

A six pound bass grilled on the halfshell is a mighty tasty meal... We eat eat every legal bass that comes in the boat. Now I'm not talking about ten pounders,haven't caught one of them yet.
Posted By: jrc

Re: Lake Fork crappie - 04/06/16 07:30 PM

Those are fun, good fish!
Posted By: ThyWillBeDone

Re: Lake Fork crappie - 04/07/16 03:59 AM

I told a couple guys under the bridge once fishing with brim to make sure they keep 'em if the are over the slot. They said they'd just let them go. I sure don't. I like my crappie more than the bass that steal them on the way up. When I see the tail of a 14-15 inch crappie sticking out of a basses mouth I grab the oar and start a swinging.

That is hilarious! lol_2
Posted By: Ruffneck2000

Re: Lake Fork crappie - 04/07/16 04:01 AM

+1 I landed a buffalo over 40lbs with 6lb Mr. Crappie good stuff!
Originally Posted By: bush hog
She gave the drag a good workout too. That Mr. Crappie Hi-Vis is good line.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Lake Fork crappie - 04/07/16 04:50 AM

Originally Posted By: TroyKing
A six pound bass grilled on the halfshell is a mighty tasty meal... We eat eat every legal bass that comes in the boat. Now I'm not talking about ten pounders,haven't caught one of them yet.

Yea, me an TBox have went round an round about that sort of thing a few times...I keep them too, not because I prefer them over crappie (Only if I died and went to Hades would that be the case), but from a management standpoint, you get rid of the big ones so the smaller ones can continue to grow...It's a small lake management thing, more pounds on the table per year, healthier remaining population...and Besides, Bass on the half shell is a good appetizer at a get together...especially if it weighs over 8 lbs! And of course, I eat them because they eat crappie! LOL

argue
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Lake Fork crappie - 04/07/16 12:40 PM

It's an age old difference of opinion,and I completely understand both sides of it.We all have to do our part to maintain the health of the fisheries.Most folks have a stricter conservation codes than the state's. This causes a problem with there management efforts. The state needs x amount of fish taken, and hardly anyone keeps bass.I also fish on a small private lake,and we try to manage it as closely as we can.I knew a guy who caught a 11pound bass and ate it,but had something to say about me keeping two 8" crappie that my son caught...when you break it down nobody's right or wrong.Personal Opinions should be respected...just do what you feel is right, and legal of course...Like a wise man once told me..."son just cause somethings legal, don't mean it's right"
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum