Texas Fishing Forum

Stillhouse crappie report

Posted By: wooddiver

Stillhouse crappie report - 03/29/16 12:37 AM

Looking for a true crappie report for still house. Every time I talk to people at the ramp they say my friends brother, cousin caught them last week.
Posted By: CPT Dropshot

Re: Stillhouse crappie report - 03/29/16 01:25 AM

I've seen someone come back with an ice chest full. He told me he fished somewhere by "the wall" about 20' deep with live minnows... It's true, they are in there somewhere.
Posted By: wooddiver

Re: Stillhouse crappie report - 03/29/16 01:46 AM

What wall? Is it in the lake or the up river?
Posted By: Ruffneck2000

Re: Stillhouse crappie report - 03/29/16 02:58 AM

They are there just never when you are, Stillhouse isn't a great crappie lake you can catch the in a spot one day and go to that spot for the next 30 days and the wont be there. toward the river seems to be the best imho.
Posted By: Lucas Loafman

Re: Stillhouse crappie report - 03/29/16 03:20 AM

I catch all of my fish from Dana Peak to up river. The wall is in between Dana Peak and Cedar Gap on same side of the lake as the two parks. I have had some good days and head scratchers in that same area. It's just a real tough lake for any consistency and certainly size. I did have one day where I had my best seven go about 7.5 pounds and we had 35 keepers, but other than that I've barely been lucky to break 6 pounds and may get 10-15 during "peak" seasons.

Re: Stillhouse crappie report - 03/29/16 03:25 AM

that's a long wall lol,
Posted By: crope1

Re: Stillhouse crappie report - 03/29/16 04:05 AM

welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted By: CPT Dropshot
I've seen someone come back with an ice chest full. He told me he fished somewhere by "the wall" about 20' deep with live minnows... It's true, they are in there somewhere.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Stillhouse crappie report - 03/29/16 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: wooddiver
Looking for a true crappie report for still house. Every time I talk to people at the ramp they say my friends brother, cousin caught them last week.

if someone catches 3 fish out of stillhouse they have a parade.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Stillhouse crappie report - 03/29/16 04:15 PM

for some useful info,,, ive only caught them flat footed one year on stillousy, and that was in the big cove by the pump station down from cedar ridge. theres a rock wall, as you go to the back on the right, with a little ledge around 12 feet down. also further back to the left, and middle theres some trees. it was february 28th a few years back, and it was close to a limit of males. .
if you go way up river, theres a big flat, on the left, after a long straight away, I watched a guy hammer them there one year, he was drifting across the flat with jigs out,. when he got to the bottom of the flat, he would motor back up to the top, and do it again. right after the flat is a hard left turn, then I recall there is a little island where the whites spawn.
you see, stillhouse has so many massive and violent water fluctuation, its not very stable for crappie, couple that with a low plankton population (gin clear water) , due to the lack of nutrients flowing into the lake and the crappie just struggle to thrive, and compete with more aggressive species such as white bass.
Sometimes you can do ok at night, if you can set up where they are going on night feeds. pm me if you want a couple nightime locations.

Re: Stillhouse crappie report - 03/29/16 05:24 PM

Thank you, I wish I had known about this form earlier!

Re: Stillhouse crappie report - 03/29/16 05:34 PM

Thank you for the detailed info. We (wooddiver) are just tired of driving so far for crappie, the only freshwater fish that I consume besides catfish. It would be nice to catch them in our local lakes (Stillhouse and Belton). I've seen old youtube vids of kayakers catching crappie passed the gravel crossing in Lampassas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FR4cxjh3_4

Photos are from couple of month's ago in Waco Lake. Too bad it's over an hour drive...
[img]http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics...7_1790272457605[/img]
[img]http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics...7_7707445950660[/img]

Re: Stillhouse crappie report - 03/30/16 12:41 AM

Make the drive Brother trust me!
Posted By: Lucas Loafman

Re: Stillhouse crappie report - 03/30/16 01:53 AM

I agree that it's worth the drive if you have the time and it's not a breezy day. I'm real interested to see Belton this year though after several real up and down years. Last year I made the mistake of staying local one day when I was taking some folks fishing rather than make the run to Waco. Usually the last week of August is dynamite and my spots will usually produce 15-20 keepers a person over a five hour trip. Four of us had three total keeper crappie. I have never felt so defeated in a day of fishing.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum