Texas Fishing Forum

A question for those of you who fish the areas NW of Dallas/Ft Worth..

Posted By: SanteeSlabr

A question for those of you who fish the areas NW of Dallas/Ft Worth.. - 03/13/16 04:53 AM

A few questions for those of you who fish the Wichita Falls to Fort Worth Area........

It seems to me that the quality of spawn season fishing dramatically decreases once you are NW of Ft Worth and is well below the quality of the lakes east of Dallas. This seems supported both by the lack of good reports from this area on this website, and by my own observances while fishing these lakes. In my opinion, both the spawns and the overall quality of crappie fishing in this area are extremely poor compared to East Texas and most of the Southeastern U.S.

1) Does the quality of the fishing during the last three Spring crappie spawns represent the typical spawn fishing characteristics historically for this area?
2) If not, are historic spawns better or worse than the last three years?
3) Are the constant cold fronts and associated up and down pressure patterns normal for this area during the spawn?
4) Have you ever seen 7-10 day stable temp/pressure/ light wind patterns during the spawn?

The reason I am asking is that I am retiring this year and trying to decide whether to stay in the area or not. Crappie fishing is one of my most enjoyable hobbies that I intend to do more of once retired. If the last three years represents the best crappie fishing that NW of Dallas has to offer, I think I may choose to move to where the fishing is far more stable and better.
Posted By: maxj

Re: A question for those of you who fish the areas NW of Dallas/Ft Worth.. - 03/13/16 08:51 AM

fish If you have the option to move and want to find the best crappie fishing in the state "Go East Young Man"!
Find you a place within an hours drive of Fork, Palestine and LOP and other East TX. lakes and you will be in a "Crappie Paradise".
I live on lake Belton and we experience the same things that you are talking about with your area and most of it is the water quality for fish production. We have a good fish population but, we just can't compare with those lakes in East TX. for quality fish that can be caught year round.flag
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: A question for those of you who fish the areas NW of Dallas/Ft Worth.. - 03/13/16 01:58 PM

I agree 100 percent with Max.
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: A question for those of you who fish the areas NW of Dallas/Ft Worth.. - 03/13/16 02:34 PM

Heck, everyone knows there is no crappie fishing west of I turdy fibe.... juggle
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: A question for those of you who fish the areas NW of Dallas/Ft Worth.. - 03/13/16 03:31 PM

Everything I like to do is in Texas. Sadly it's all 400 miles in any direction! Wichita Falls has great hunting. If you want crappie and want to stay there get a camp on Fork or Palestine and stay there when you need your fishing fix!! thumb
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: A question for those of you who fish the areas NW of Dallas/Ft Worth.. - 03/13/16 03:44 PM

I'd move this direction. Lived near Abilene for 28 years and the fishing opportunities were very limited. Here you can kinda choose what you want to catch, and then where
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: A question for those of you who fish the areas NW of Dallas/Ft Worth.. - 03/13/16 06:16 PM

Crappie fishing is better in east TX, both quality and quantity. The number of lakes is greater also so the opportunities are vastly improved. Since crappie fishing is a year round adventure, I'd move closer to the best crappie fishing. There will always be weather and water fluctuations no matter what area. Wind is not as big a problem in east TX and there are several lakes that are water supply lakes that tend to hold a more constant level. There are also several smaller lakes that offer great crappie fishing and don't have the pressure of the more popular lakes.
I do think the changing weather conditions are more of a factor in the Wichita Falls area than east TX.
I don't believe I've ever seen a stable weather patter (7-10 days) in spring time anywhere in TX.
And the great thing about retirement; you can pick those good days to fish and fish Mon-Fri and avoid the crowds. thumb
Good fish
Posted By: Thunk

Re: A question for those of you who fish the areas NW of Dallas/Ft Worth.. - 03/13/16 08:58 PM

Yep I would have to agree. When I lived in Abilene and San Angelo the only decent water for crappie was OH ivie. The problem with most west and nort west Texas lakes is the alkalinity. Shad can survive but to maintain a balance of acid vs alkaline you must have more biomass material to either be around the lake or wash into the lake. When your ph is closer to to neutral you have more of an environment conducive to more shad base production. Tawakoni,Fork, Lake of the pines, Palestine have that you also must have plenty of things for algae to grow on and phytoplankton to thrive in for shad to feed on. East Texas lakes generally have more cover, ie.) standing timber, hydrilla, pads, etc. All help for even more small prey for crappie, small sunfish, minnows, etc. The reason O.H. Ivie did well for a while was timber, hydrilla mats and stockings of baitfish. So there's the semi-scientific explanation on reasons to move to east Texas. On Fork right now enjoying all the greenery! More baitfish recruitment equals stronger years classes of crappie. Consistency of rainfall sure does help this process as others have said. Hope this helps!
Posted By: TR176

Re: A question for those of you who fish the areas NW of Dallas/Ft Worth.. - 03/14/16 07:10 PM

Make a triangle from fork, to cedar creek, to Palestine and live in the mid point. Go east young man.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum