Texas Fishing Forum

Graham Lost a good one

Posted By: machinist

Graham Lost a good one - 03/11/16 06:38 PM

For anyone that has ever fished around the bridges on the Graham Lakes we lost John Hanks this morning.
John was a fixture around the bridges for several years. He was always more than willing to help anyone
catch more crappie. He had a wit about him that sometimes would have you shaking your head 10 minutes later
when you realized what he said. I know he will be missed by all of us who have fished with him at the crappie
house in Graham. RIP bud

Johnny
Posted By: truthpro

Re: Graham Lost a good one - 03/11/16 09:01 PM

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Prayers for his family and friends. Hard to find people like that that are "always more than willing to help anyone
catch more crappie."
Posted By: BrazosRiverTom

Re: Graham Lost a good one - 03/11/16 10:29 PM

Sorry for your loss and it sounds like a loss at Graham Lake too. I am from Mineral Wells but drive frequently to Graham lake, do not know many people there, but the ones I have met are pretty nice. Sounds like your friend was too. My condolences to you and his family and friends...
Posted By: HOGON

Re: Graham Lost a good one - 03/12/16 01:32 AM

Prayers Sent...sorry for your loss.
Posted By: shill

Re: Graham Lost a good one - 03/12/16 01:59 AM

Prayers sent
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Graham Lost a good one - 03/12/16 03:31 AM

Prayers Said.
Posted By: Banjo Ed

Re: Graham Lost a good one - 03/12/16 11:27 PM

Thank y'all for the post and comments for my dad!
Edward Hanks
Posted By: Sandwich Maker

Re: Graham Lost a good one - 03/13/16 02:38 AM

Sorry to hear this Johnny. Good fishing friends are tough to lose. RIP
Posted By: moonriver

Re: Graham Lost a good one - 03/13/16 02:42 AM

prayers sent.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Graham Lost a good one - 03/13/16 03:19 AM

God needed yet another fishing buddy! Prayers sent for family and friends! angel2
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Graham Lost a good one - 03/13/16 07:27 AM

Rip
Posted By: Jerry T.

Re: Graham Lost a good one - 03/14/16 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Banjo Ed
Thank y'all for the post and comments for my dad!
Edward Hanks
Edward - Please don't hesitate to call and hit the water anytime you come down; you know how I felt about your old man.

Words really can't touch the way a lot of us felt about John. Talk about a TRUE ambassador of the sport, John was a crappie fisherman that really left an impact on those around him. As Johnny mentioned in his initial post, Mr. Hanks always helped others catch more fish and was seldom seen without a smile. A sure enough fixture of our local crappie crowd, anyone that was fortunate enough to share time on the water with John was quick to become buddies with him. Non-judgmental, caring, wise, kind, and Christ-like are the first words that come to mind when I think of Mr. Hanks. Talk about a GRAVE LOSS, we truly lost a good one with John's passing.

Gotta love a man that doesn't mind eating a ditch pickle or two:

15"er that Mr. Hanks caught a few weeks ago:

Cheers to you, my dear friend. You were unconditionally loved by many and will be gravely missed by us all. Rest well in Heaven ...

Re: Graham Lost a good one - 03/15/16 01:37 AM

Well thank you for your kind words. He was touched many people for sure. We were thinking about going to the bridge or somewhere Wednesday evening after the service and everyone grab a rod and catch some fish in dad's honor
Posted By: sapalmer

Re: Graham Lost a good one - 03/15/16 05:59 AM

I loved fishing with John. He would give me a hard time about spending 8 bucks on minnows everyday...One day he said why dont you try a jig.....He threw me a red and white tube jig, once I felt the thump I was truly addicted. When I got laid off out there we spent almost every morning and evening on the newcastle bridge...We would talk about life and problems and he would always offer good advice. I lost my Dad and Grandfather early in my life and fishing with John reminded me of times spent with them. I am sure he is up in heaven catching a big one right now...

Re: Graham Lost a good one - 03/15/16 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: sapalmer
I loved fishing with John. He would give me a hard time about spending 8 bucks on minnows everyday...One day he said why dont you try a jig.....He threw me a red and white tube jig, once I felt the thump I was truly addicted. When I got laid off out there we spent almost every morning and evening on the newcastle bridge...We would talk about life and problems and he would always offer good advice. I lost my Dad and Grandfather early in my life and fishing with John reminded me of times spent with them. I am sure he is up in heaven catching a big one right now...

fish smirk Thanks for sharing
Posted By: sapalmer

Re: Graham Lost a good one - 03/15/16 04:43 PM

We fished the newcastle bridge one evening....we were catching pretty good fish after dark when I hooked into a 15 pound yellow cat. I was using new Mr Crappie line 6# test because he had bought some a few days earlier. We walked that fish out of the brush pile and all the way around the corner of the bridge and then back down the bridge where I could land it. Once I got it to the bank I handed the rod to John and I jumped down and grabbed that big yellow. He told me that he was very impressed that I was able to bring that fish in. A compliment from him meant alot to me. Then he said I told you that that Mr.Crappie line was some strong line......we just laughed.

Good times were always guaranteed when he was out there fishing even if we weren't catching.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum