Texas Fishing Forum

What Was That?

Posted By: Big Hopper

What Was That? - 03/07/16 04:22 PM

Fished off of my Brothers dock at Cedar Creek last Saturday. Put out a Green-light suspended just above the water line. While watching my minnow baited line and bobber, I would occasionally watch the glow of the green-light, to see if it was attracting any baitfish. No luck. But after a few hours, I leaned close over the green-light and noticed that a swarm of very small animals had gathered under the light. They were almost too small to see, but they moved around and swam in a pattern around the light. They were very hard to see, almost clear. When I say SMALL ... I mean SMALL. They were much smaller that a mosquito larva. I would guess that there were probably a thousand or more in a sq. ft. of water.

What do you think they were? Protazoa? Microplankton or maybe shad fry?

p.s. We caught 2 male and 2 female crappie for the evening. The fish are just starting to move in.
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: What Was That? - 03/07/16 04:36 PM

hmmm
I put a similar light out 2 nights ago off our dock. Only saw 1 shad swim thru bang
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: What Was That? - 03/07/16 05:08 PM

Could be baby baitfish, probably freshwater shrimp or other small crustacean or insect
Posted By: Beltonbanger�

Re: What Was That? - 03/07/16 05:49 PM

Daphnia. Also called common water flea. Very essential to a good lake ecosystem.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum