Texas Fishing Forum

Time for BIG fish!!!!

Posted By: Beltonbanger�

Time for BIG fish!!!! - 02/25/16 04:43 PM

This is the time of the year that I start getting the SOWS in. With that being said, proper care after the catch is essential to a great mount on your wall. Couple steps!!!
1-Ice the fish as soon as possible. Couple pictures are fine....I find them useful IF they are quality.
2-Get that fish FROZE!!!! My advise is, use an old towel, t-shirt or cloth(cotton best). Get it thoroughly wet and wrap your fish in it. Keep fins laid down and make sure the tail gets extra cloth that can be folded over for support to prevent damage. Place fish in a plastic bag(good bags are the ones your ice came in) and freeze the fish flat.
3-Get the fish to the taxidermist. IF you have to ship a fish remember this, many times shipments are stored in rooms that are far warmer than outside. That fish needs to be shipped early in the week, first or second day and wrapped in as much insulation as feasible. DON"T ship if there is a possibility that your fish could sit in a warehouse for the weekend!!! YIKES, it has happened and it isn't pleasant opening that shipment!!! TRUST me!!!!

Here are a few things folks don't consider. The digestive enzymes in the stomach of the fish still keep working....EVEN ON A DEAD ICED FISH! The stomach area of the fish is the first to degrade!!! Pictures are fine, but you can run around with the mount and get the fish froze for now! Show them your selfie until then!!!!!

Get your big fish mounted or release it. I could go on a tropical vacation if I had a $ for everyone that said, "I wished I would have mounted it"!!!!

Fish like this(3lbs.+) don't grow on trees...........unless they are under water!!!!!

GOOD LUCK this season!!!!!!

Heck with the soda can....I use a coffee can!!! If properly cared for, I can get quality photos of the fish before skinning as seen here!!!
Don't ask where this one was caught, client wants all the bragging rights!!!!
Posted By: Jesse10

Re: Time for BIG fish!!!! - 02/25/16 04:55 PM

OMG! Monster!!!! Very rare!
Posted By: Ruffneck2000

Re: Time for BIG fish!!!! - 02/25/16 05:23 PM

Nice!
Posted By: moonriver

Re: Time for BIG fish!!!! - 02/25/16 05:41 PM

very nice
Posted By: Jerry T.

Re: Time for BIG fish!!!! - 02/25/16 06:04 PM

Wow...