Texas Fishing Forum

crazy how far we've come

Posted By: DavisGuideService

crazy how far we've come - 02/16/16 03:27 AM

A friend of mine brought this to work today to show me, I never knew they used ink and paper back then. its really hard to imagine,my first unit down image on it.what about you guys ?anybody remember these?

Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: crazy how far we've come - 02/16/16 03:29 AM

Yessir, I remember them well.
Posted By: Troyz

Re: crazy how far we've come - 02/16/16 03:41 AM

Still have one. Was working great when I put it up. They are old and antiquated by today's technology standards, but if you had one set up right it could paint a very good picture of what was under you.
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: crazy how far we've come - 02/16/16 03:44 AM

They were a huge improvement over the flashers... And can still get the job done.
Posted By: crope1

Re: crazy how far we've come - 02/16/16 04:16 AM

I think that's a trick question....he's trying to get us to tell our age,LOL!
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: crazy how far we've come - 02/16/16 04:24 AM

I still have one, found a whole box of paper and needles when I moved. They were quite the instrument in their day.
Posted By: larry mays

Re: crazy how far we've come - 02/16/16 05:07 AM

I never had one because of the cost to keep it up. But, I still think the best fish finder there is a jig. I did have a flash type but when moving around they were slow.
Posted By: Bruce Bullard

Re: crazy how far we've come - 02/16/16 07:08 AM

Remember them, but they seemed so expensive for youngsters back then, everyone loved flashers. My first boat, I had the dealer swap the flashers for the new Humminbird LCR 4ID, I think, he told me I was wasting money.
Posted By: 184Champion

Re: crazy how far we've come - 02/16/16 12:15 PM

I bought a 1984 Ranger last summer that still had one on it and it still worked.
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: crazy how far we've come - 02/16/16 12:31 PM

When those first came out, I lived in CA and was on the Lowrance Pro Staff. We got them about a month before they were offered to the public, and trust me, we were steppin' high. This was pure magic compared to the flashers that we were all using. Yes, I remember them well....
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: crazy how far we've come - 02/16/16 12:43 PM

My dad bought the 1st one that came out. Made by Ray Marine if I remember correctly.
He was on the Vol. Fire Dept. and worked a drowning on Lake Welsh. It drew a stick man suspended in 40 fow down by the dam. I had that piece of paper for a long time!
Posted By: mayor (crappiepete)

Re: crazy how far we've come - 02/16/16 01:34 PM

Yes, remember them well. Was a Bass tournament Guy at the time. Scoped Bob Sandlin and Monticello. Always carried an extra roll of paper and electrodes to burn the paper. Could open the door and mark on the paper the location. Gave it away about 2002.
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: crazy how far we've come - 02/16/16 02:29 PM

I bought a Lowrance graph in 1973. It was a bear to maintain, and the paper cost a fortune. But the difference in information presented when compared to a flasher was outstanding.
Posted By: Jerry T.

Re: crazy how far we've come - 02/16/16 03:31 PM

Brings back some great memories for me, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: crazy how far we've come - 02/16/16 05:28 PM

Took us long enough...
Posted By: DavisGuideService

Re: crazy how far we've come - 02/17/16 01:02 AM

Thanks for the replys guys, I know it wasn't crappie related but i thought this was cool enough to share.
Posted By: Jon

Re: crazy how far we've come - 02/17/16 05:14 PM

That was the top line technology for a good run and it beat the pants off the early generation LCD graphs - and for a while too.
I have that exact unit sitting in a padded case in my storeroom - not sure why but I hate to throw stuff away that still works.
Everything is relative, but after those were surpassed, the "best at the time" technology took mega leaps in price. That x16 was the last marine electronics I owned that was current 'best you could get'.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum