Texas Fishing Forum

Who's catching spawning crappie?

Posted By: plugchunker

Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/15/16 02:47 AM

I'm thinking this next and it should be on. With warm nights in the forecast and full moon I'll be beating the shallows with the long pole. Anyone else doing the same? To be continued.....
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/15/16 02:51 AM

I can guarantee that I will be checking some shallow spot come the end of next week. Like you said those warm nights back to back should really get the fish moving.
Posted By: Jesse10

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/15/16 03:04 AM

They're in the rivers now. Don't wait. They've been in the slack water next to current breaks for over a month. They've been feeding like they're starving. 80% of them are 13 to 15 inches. They bite just as good in 48 degree water.
Posted By: larry mays

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/15/16 03:53 AM

None that have laid there eggs yet, but a lot that is sure ready. I have got on some good ones in 4-8 foot of water but have no idea what happens next.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/15/16 04:12 AM

With the mild winter we are having it is a very good chance the spawn will start earlier. Guessing next week. hmmm Been catching a lot of females with eggs. thumb
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/15/16 01:15 PM

Not yet here...
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/15/16 01:24 PM

I'm headed out to lake placid in about 10 hours from now. Should know then whether or not they are spawning, since the spawn is the ONLY time I can catch crappie.
Posted By: Duck_Jerky

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/15/16 02:19 PM

No shallow fish on the main lake yet, but been catching some shallow fish in the creeks.
Posted By: Jerry T.

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/15/16 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Jerky
No shallow fish on the main lake yet, but been catching some shallow fish in the creeks.

+1
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/15/16 10:39 PM

Fished Placid on Saturday and all that happened in shallow creeks was the guy I was fishing with caught a short one... not quite time was our consensus.

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/16/16 02:01 AM

I've been told three consecutive nighttime lows in the upper 50's. Looks like its going to happen wed, thur Fri so Saturday should be good shallow. I'll let you guys know but I think the ice chest is going to be full this wkd.
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/16/16 02:27 AM

We still have mid 30's in the AM, but I'm gonna be there Saturday anyway. They will be somewhere!!! cheers

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/16/16 02:57 AM

The warm nights back to back are key.
Posted By: koobycrappie

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/16/16 05:59 PM

Granger lake yesterday caught my first of year shallow, pitching a cork in a cove.
Only caught 1, but it was 13 inches and it nailed the jig in 2.5ft. of water.

That is the earliest I can remember for me to catch them.....

Water temp was 59.5.

That was the only bite.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/16/16 08:20 PM

Never fails people start getting antsy right about now, Keep a watch on water temps, this will dictate everything thumb
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/16/16 08:47 PM

Headed to a favorite shallow area this morning. Bumped into Banger and Brian T up the creek. Water temp was 57 and made 59 by 11am. Shad were in the area; starting to look good. Managed 6 in about 20" of water. They weren't spawning but they were sure thinking about it.
Besides the right water temp, the eggs have to mature before they can be expelled.

Posted By: Southtexasduckman

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/16/16 09:21 PM

Picked up these fatties from my favorite south Texas reservoir last Friday anywhere from 6-18"
Beating the bank with my long pole! There was a good mix of males and females some that had already spawned! I'm sure the back to back fronts would slow them down till this Saturday.
Nothing like feeling the "thump" on a jig while using your long pole.

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/16/16 10:55 PM

I found some fish 10" to a ft deep in a creek today. They weren't spawning but I could tell they were males.
Posted By: Ruffneck2000

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/17/16 02:01 AM

Wont be long!!! slinger

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/17/16 04:33 AM

Looking good guys. Fish in a foot of water and temps near 60 is what I like to hear. Going to be on by Saturday fo sho! Can't wait.
Posted By: kickingback

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/17/16 01:29 PM

58 Degree water...enough info to catch them anywhere...
Posted By: smak90

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/17/16 03:19 PM

Thanks for the info Kevin. I was planning on hitting the shallow water at Granger on Sunday along with some of the transition brushpiles.

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/18/16 04:44 AM

I'll be out tomorrow with clients Scott. Will give report Friday.

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/19/16 04:20 AM

Yes, there are a few that have moved shallow....... cheer
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/19/16 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: kickingback
58 Degree water...enough info to catch them anywhere...
+1

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/23/16 02:13 PM

This front might slow them down and it was a grind on Saturday but we picked up a few!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/23/16 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Southtexasduckman
This front might slow them down and it was a grind on Saturday but we picked up a few!

Nice ones Matt! Gonna hit it next week. thumb

Side Note: Far east side is on fire. flame The stick-ups you found last year are paying off! hooked
Posted By: Jerry T.

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/23/16 02:22 PM

Pretty fish. Looks like a male on the bottom right?
Posted By: SLABXPRESS

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/23/16 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Southtexasduckman

For those of you wondering, that really dark white crappie (so dark some might think its a black crappie) on the bottom right of this pile is a perfect example of your stereotypical male spawn crappie. If you find those guys, the ladies are sure to be close by! thumb

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/25/16 09:14 PM

Yup. That's right. It's a male on the front right and a female on the left. There is only one black crappie in the whole group hard to see but I think it's fourth from the top on the left.
Posted By: Hickory Nut

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/25/16 11:58 PM

Caught these last week on Choke Canyon only three females. First ledge from the rocky banks 1.5 to 3 ft of water.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/26/16 12:20 AM

That's a pile and a report!
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/26/16 03:47 AM

Nice pic hickory!

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/27/16 04:55 AM

Wow hickory great work. How many did y'all end up with? What were they biting?
Posted By: Hickory Nut

Re: Who's catching spawning crappie? - 02/27/16 11:20 PM

I had a thermocline black emerald shiner 18" below a slip bobber. Would flip it in about 10" of water and move it until it stood up straight wind would move it along until a crappie grabbed it. I had 24 and my fishing partner had 22 at 4 pm when we went in to pick up a friend who came down to fish. Went back out and ended up with 64.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum