Texas Fishing Forum

Shad and Crappie

Posted By: Jerry T.

Shad and Crappie - 02/13/16 06:59 PM

Not sure who said what about shad and crappie and I'm sure not trying to start any debates.

During this time of the year, you'll see this more and more in my area. (Not just the big fish, small/barely keeper fish will have 'em.)

10.75" Black crappie:

Before removing the shad:

Three shad, one of which I accidentally cut in half:

One shad was 3.5", one was 3", and the other was so mangled I didn't bother with measuring it. I'm thinking it was 2.5" (or close to it).

Here soon, a good percentage of the fish we clean will be like this and often times they're gorged heavier than this one was. I couldn't find the other thread where someone requested pictures of this so if the size I'm showing isn't what you were looking for, please feel free to post again with the specifics for the picture ya wanted? Otherwise, I'm only posting this to help anyone wondering weather crappie will bite with a "full" stomach. thumb

Posted By: larry mays

Re: Shad and Crappie - 02/13/16 07:25 PM

I have not been using jigs that big, but I am ok on the color. I think the crappie are just as lost as we are on this crazy winter and what happens next.
Posted By: have_rod_reel_travel

Re: Shad and Crappie - 02/13/16 07:39 PM

Cool pic! coolphotos
Posted By: Harleyrockstar

Re: Shad and Crappie - 02/13/16 07:51 PM

Thanks for the info! Cool post.
Posted By: juggin4cats

Re: Shad and Crappie - 02/13/16 09:24 PM

If I can throw net some shad up in the creek I fish I will use them all day long for crappie over a minnow or jig.
Posted By: Thunk

Re: Shad and Crappie - 02/13/16 10:10 PM

Well I know that I said that they are as opportunistic as the next fish to them or any fish that has food in front of em. They will eat till they throw it back up. Easy meals aren't always around but when they are it's 'One more trip to the buffet'! Eat till u puke! If I can catch small enough shad I'll use them over any other bait for crappie. Just like juggin4cats said!
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Shad and Crappie - 02/14/16 12:11 AM

Goof pic Jerry, thanks.
Max caught a crappie about 6 weeks ago that had four shad in the stomach, the last one with the tail sticking out the gullet. And that fish hit a Slab Bandit and inhaled it. She definitely was hungry. If I had been there, I would have taken a pic.
As stated above, I've seen them eat till they puke, just like white bass do.
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Shad and Crappie - 02/14/16 12:26 AM

I think I'll just popcorn
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: Shad and Crappie - 02/14/16 01:27 AM

Jerry, been seeing the same over here also for a couple of weeks now.

Anyone know how to post a video?
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Shad and Crappie - 02/14/16 02:47 AM

I've caught crappie on pines that were spitting out multiple shad as I was pulling them up.
Posted By: Hooky_Looky

Re: Shad and Crappie - 02/14/16 04:35 AM

Don't think I've ever caught a crappie on shad. Usually the sandies, hybrid or catfish eat them.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Shad and Crappie - 02/14/16 04:41 AM

I remember one year at lavon I was fishing timber post spawn with 4-5" threads and limiting on 11-14" fish.
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Shad and Crappie - 02/14/16 05:01 AM

nice.... wink
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Shad and Crappie - 02/14/16 11:33 AM

We have done well with shad for crappie during the spawn in our cove
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Shad and Crappie - 02/14/16 11:56 AM

Originally Posted By: SheCrappieKilla
Jerry, been seeing the same over here also for a couple of weeks now.

Anyone know how to post a video?
Upload it to photobucket and then click 6th icon from left. Install link to photobucket video and boom.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum