Texas Fishing Forum

menner prices

Posted By: crapyetr

menner prices - 02/04/16 12:58 PM

bought sum menners n Kingsland (Lake LBJ) ystrdy...had ben payin' $3.50 dz, which i thought was high, but just wanted 2dz...so took my $7 n and orderd 2dz...he said, that'll b $9.50...dangnere fell over...$4.75/dz...increased price by $1.25dz???...that's $0.40/menner...won't go bak there and won't b usin' menners at that price...

what do yawl pay for medium crapy menners????????
Posted By: Harleyrockstar

Re: menner prices - 02/04/16 01:40 PM

Paid $10.00 for 2 dozen at Jenson fishing tackle in Austin last month.

Re: menner prices - 02/04/16 01:54 PM

i feel better...ur as crazy as i am/was...i ant buyin' nemore at that price
Posted By: Jacob

Re: menner prices - 02/04/16 01:56 PM

These minners ain't as lively, but they last a good while and come in different colors. Dang sure cheaper too! grin

Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: menner prices - 02/04/16 01:56 PM

Good grief !!! Capitalism at it's finest.....?? I guess
Man, that's HIGH
JMO
God Bless

Re: menner prices - 02/04/16 02:50 PM

got suma these...just got away from jiggin'...got sum Slab Slobber 2...bak 2 basics

[quote=Jacob]These minners ain't as lively, but they last a good while and come in different colors. Dang sure cheaper too! grin
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: menner prices - 02/04/16 05:00 PM

I purchase by the lb and pay between $15-18 a lb roughly 10 dozen minnows in a lb.
Posted By: jasoniam

Re: menner prices - 02/04/16 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Jacob
These minners ain't as lively, but they last a good while and come in different colors. Dang sure cheaper too! grin

I ketch more fish with dem anyways!!
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: menner prices - 02/04/16 05:17 PM

eeks

Re: menner prices - 02/04/16 05:49 PM

where???...not around Lake LBJ i bet...

Originally Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher
I purchase by the lb and pay between $15-18 a lb roughly 10 dozen minnows in a lb.
Posted By: Perchy Perch

Re: menner prices - 02/04/16 06:01 PM

If it's still allowed, try the petstore and see if they have rosies in stock. Might be a cheaper option.
Posted By: SStohner

Re: menner prices - 02/04/16 06:04 PM

Clark's tackle box (old fisherman supply) near Ray Hubbard definitely has better prices and he will sell by the 1/2 lb as well. Bryan Clark the owner is usually the one working and he is a great guy to do business with.
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: menner prices - 02/04/16 06:05 PM

Around Granger lake they were $3/ doz. $8/3doz. last year. This year $3.50 and $9. All seemed high to me.

Re: menner prices - 02/04/16 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: crapyetr
where???...not around Lake LBJ i bet...

if you can't buy them at a bait shop near lbj, I suggest setting up a holding tank and then ordering some shiners online. I think a place called Anderson farm will ship fish by the pound in 4 lb boxes.
Posted By: Carver

Re: menner prices - 02/04/16 08:04 PM

The prices of minnows has changed some of my old habits recently. I used to buy a pound and throw the extras away at the boat ramp before leaving. Not any more. I keep a holding tank about 8 months of the year and just buy them by the pound. It is a pain sometimes and heart-breaker when you go out and find out something has thrown the breaker on the pump while you were out of town and now your garage smells like 2 years of rotten fish.

When I am fishing daily, I keep a few minnow traps out that cannot be reached form the bank and work them from my kayak. I almost always take some with me and set a couple out when I first hit an area I am going to work for a while. Even if it just small brim in them That is what I will give a try before I leave. I take the bait, including larger brim back to the holding tank and that usually serves me pretty well for the couple of times in the fall I make a run on trophy blues.

If minnows get any higher I might invest in a minnow farm. If you have the place to keep them I buy from Dunn fish farms in OK. They will deliver/ship to Texas regularly.

Tight lines, Phill
Posted By: POP N CORK

Re: menner prices - 02/04/16 08:24 PM

At Red Top Bait shop west of Burnet on HWY 29 they are 2.95 a dozen.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: menner prices - 02/04/16 09:03 PM

$13 per lb here NHouston, about 10-11 dozen ,no consistency in size, 20 minutes from my house. 10 minutes from my house $2.50 per dozen or 3 for $7. I keep a minnow tank now too, been using enough to justify buying a lb.
Posted By: machinist

Re: menner prices - 02/04/16 09:15 PM

Carver, I am not sure it is legal to trap minnows any more. I know that with the zebra mussel
problem you now have to have a receipt if a game warden checks you.

Johnny

Re: menner prices - 02/04/16 09:37 PM

what do u use as an agitator...recycle pump???

Re: menner prices - 02/04/16 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: crapyetr
what do u use as an agitator...recycle pump???
the best way to do it is to set up a fish tank or a water trough and just put a few of those fish store filters on there, the clean the water and keep it aerorated

Re: menner prices - 02/04/16 09:52 PM

You can trap and use minnows, the only rule is you can't transfer them to another lake in the water you caught them in.
Posted By: Carver

Re: menner prices - 02/04/16 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: machinist
Carver, I am not sure it is legal to trap minnows any more. I know that with the zebra mussel
problem you now have to have a receipt if a game warden checks you.

Johnny

Good point, Yes you can still trap them fine, especially for day use in the body of water you catch them in, but you cannot transport them in water from the lake in your vehicle. If you do not have a receipt with you you need to be able to show the game warden your trap. If you get a cranky game warden anything might go. I went to Austin early last year for a clarification on a poorly worded statute for an article I was penning about the issue. It did not do a lot of good. SO, I also keep a receipt from Dunn fish farms for the bulk minnows I have purchased in the past. there is no date requirement on your receipt.

I generally know in advance when I hope to be bringing some home and take a 5 of "seasoned" and blue water with me. One glance and smell of the water and they know it is not lake water.

I was checked one time last year, but it was by a game warden that knew me pretty well and I could still show him the leftover treated water in my Jerry can. Since he saw me almost daily for a while he knew I had a bait-well in my yak that has an "O" generator and don't keep my bait in lake water even in the yak. My "treated" water has grain alcohol and salt in it and it hardens the minnows and kills a lot of micro. I add some of the popular commercial preservative mainly for the recognizable blue color. They last forever in it and travel well.

I have another bait tank at Texoma part of the year and do not take any of the bait from there at all. I left a boat in the lake for a month in a slip and it took an act of congress to get the mussels off the pontoons. It looked like thick dust but was covered with very tiny mussels. I drain my bait tank completely if I am going to be gone for more than a week or two and never bring anything even wet from Texoma home. I took the carpet runners off the trailer and put HDPE runners on it and got cast nets I just use there. Now they hang in open air for storage rather than in a bucket.

But If I were to get the wrong game warden,,,,,on the wrong day,,, I'd probably be really sad. It is still completely up to them whether they want to write you up or not. Most are really cool though.

Re: menner prices - 02/06/16 12:12 AM

i called them today and you are correct...$2.95 and oxygen bags...what a deal...thanks Pop N Cork...ur my new best bud

Originally Posted By: POP N CORK
At Red Top Bait shop west of Burnet on HWY 29 they are 2.95 a dozen.
Posted By: Ruffneck2000

Re: menner prices - 02/06/16 03:23 AM

Bait shops get minnows all sorts of ways there's a guy who traps minnows for several bait shops and their all from one lake sold to bait shops around other lake, so if the Zebra scare is the concern how does bait shop know what lake their bait is being used? hmmm
Posted By: Nitro65

Re: menner prices - 02/08/16 09:11 AM

The prices are insane..3.25/ 3.99 Central Texas whats really irritating is when your getting less than you paid for!I have fished long enough to know..I started catching my own with great success with native bait and work way better in my opinion. Bought 5 dozen last year at Granger gas station, I asked politely if they were sure it was 60 ? they got a bit snippy and said yes would you like to recount ? WOW !WELL FIRE IN THE HOLE ..I AGREED TO THEIR SURPRISE last minnow came out my bucket was # 32 !! No apology just said its been a long day .. said they put 2 extra (yes 2) in there for ya ..well shut my mouth ! I have since built a tank which I can hold bait for week or 2 rotating frozen 2 liter bottles to keep cool with aerator with water temp display. Sorry for the rant, struck a nerve.I feel your pain, sad day when you have to take a out a small loan to fish !
Posted By: Rockdodger00

Re: menner prices - 02/08/16 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Carver
The prices of minnows has changed some of my old habits recently. I used to buy a pound and throw the extras away at the boat ramp before leaving. Not any more. I keep a holding tank about 8 months of the year and just buy them by the pound. It is a pain sometimes and heart-breaker when you go out and find out something has thrown the breaker on the pump while you were out of town and now your garage smells like 2 years of rotten fish.

When I am fishing daily, I keep a few minnow traps out that cannot be reached form the bank and work them from my kayak. I almost always take some with me and set a couple out when I first hit an area I am going to work for a while. Even if it just small brim in them That is what I will give a try before I leave. I take the bait, including larger brim back to the holding tank and that usually serves me pretty well for the couple of times in the fall I make a run on trophy blues.

If minnows get any higher I might invest in a minnow farm. If you have the place to keep them I buy from Dunn fish farms in OK. They will deliver/ship to Texas regularly.

Tight lines, Phill

Well there is the story, a few years back, about the shrimp farm start up, in north Texas area. How hard could a minnow farm be?

Re: menner prices - 02/08/16 10:04 PM

Another option might be a 1/4" mesh cast net. Works great for catching minnows and other small bait fish. I always throw mine in shallow water or riffles in the rivers and creeks. One year I was catching pounds of minnows per cast with it. The net only costs like $40. I've had great luck on crappie and sandies with small bream and any of the minnows you can catch in the river.
Posted By: jigfisr

Re: menner prices - 02/08/16 10:35 PM

Has anyone tried keeping ghost minnows alive in a holding tank?

Re: menner prices - 02/08/16 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: jigfisr
Has anyone tried keeping ghost minnows alive in a holding tank?
ghost minnows are almost impossible to keep alive, but they work so well that it usually doesn't matter if they're alive or dead

Re: menner prices - 02/08/16 11:19 PM

what diameter is best...amazon has 3.5 ft for 33.62...4ft for 38.69

http://www.amazon.com/Betts-4N4-I-Tyzac-Nylon-Cast/dp/B005K0LU40/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1454973470&sr=8-7&keywords=cast+net+1+4+inch+mesh&refinements=p_76%3A2661625011

Another option might be a 1/4" mesh cast net. Works great for catching minnows and other small bait fish. I always throw mine in shallow water or riffles in the rivers and creeks. One year I was catching pounds of minnows per cast with it. The net only costs like $40. I've had great luck on crappie and sandies with small bream and any of the minnows you can catch in the river.

Re: menner prices - 02/08/16 11:51 PM

The one I have is a 5' or 6'. I wouldn't go any less than 5' and a 7' would be too big for creeks I think. I bought mine at cabelas I think I paid $40-50.
Posted By: RiverBanks

Re: menner prices - 02/09/16 06:06 PM

I paid $2.75 a dozen last weekend at Lynn Creek Marina. Can't believe some of the prices I've read in this thread.
Posted By: Rathr B. Fishin

Re: menner prices - 05/11/16 09:07 PM

Yep, getting high! I paid $3.75 a dozen near Lake Limestone...and they gotcha by the jingle bells, only a few stores around that carry minnows. So you either pay it or jig fish.
Posted By: donothin

Re: menner prices - 05/12/16 12:25 PM

Now that is warmer, I take a seine and make a sweep at the boat ramp if no one is in line. Wife stands on the edge of the water and I get in knee deep water and make a sweep the width of the ramp. Usually catch enough in one sweep for the day. The stay alive better and are the right size.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: menner prices - 05/14/16 02:31 PM

It's usually $4-6 for a 1/4 pound... That's enough to catch about 30 crappie.
Posted By: stewage

Re: menner prices - 05/15/16 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: MulGogiHunter
If it's still allowed, try the petstore and see if they have rosies in stock. Might be a cheaper option.

Last summer I was paying .14c per medium sized goldfish at petco.

This year they raised the price on me to .19c and I almost had a heart attack. Still beats what some of you guys are reporting.
Posted By: Bobby Goforth

Re: menner prices - 05/16/16 06:40 PM

Best way to solve this problem is get you a good small mesh seine and seine your own minnows off the ramp or good sandy beach. Crappie like lake minnows better than store bought.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: menner prices - 05/17/16 03:42 PM

12.50 for 1/2 lb. in Graham........
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: menner prices - 05/17/16 10:51 PM

I keep two 5 gallon bucket full of treated water. I buy minnows by the pound and transfer the ones I don't use to on bucket. I transfer them over to the new bucket every 3 days and refill the old bucket and treat the water. I use to either give them away or dump them at the ramp. Never again.
Posted By: Jonathan_Zambrano

Re: menner prices - 05/17/16 10:57 PM

#MinnaLivesMatter
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum