Posted By: tboxfish

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/26/16 02:06 PM

Or is just HUNGER???
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/26/16 02:22 PM

They figure a boat that big prolly buys minners by the pound!!! roflmao
Posted By: just one more

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/26/16 02:30 PM

Last time I was at Fork that same loon grabbed a small crappie right as I was getting it to the surface. Wound up braking the line.
Posted By: Stucky76

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/26/16 02:41 PM

I hate those things. One followed me around on Pines last year for about two hours and dove to get my jigs and minnows every time I reeled up my rods. Get outta here stupid birds!

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/26/16 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Slewfoot

It figured WRONG!
But it did chase the bass when I released it, was under quite a while, not sure if it scored a meal or not.
Figured if it had, it would have surfaced to swallow it hmmm
Posted By: Laner

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/26/16 02:44 PM

When we were at Pines a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't believe how social these birds were compared to the CC loons that I used to see. When we caught yellow bass, I felt like I was in the scene from Finding Nemo, when the gulls were like "mine, mine, mine."
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/26/16 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Slewfoot

roflmao

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/26/16 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Laner
When we were at Pines a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't believe how social these birds were compared to the CC loons that I used to see. When we caught yellow bass, I felt like I was in the scene from Finding Nemo, when the gulls were like "mine, mine, mine."

The Pelicans used to be very brave at Pines, but I've never seen Loons get this close!!!
People have probably been feeding them dead minners?????
Posted By: H&W Marine

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/26/16 03:17 PM

They wanted a closer look at that pretty boat !!!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/26/16 03:21 PM

coolphotos Just wanted to have it's picture taken! Love those nature shots. thumb
Posted By: medic911

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/26/16 03:43 PM

I was fishing with my son a couple of weeks ago. We were putting a spankin on the bar fish. we had a loon come up and we started tossing a few his way. ended up feeding him 6 fish. It was funny watching him try to get them down.
Posted By: SK.

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/26/16 06:19 PM

That water is awfully clear for lake water???

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/26/16 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: medic911
I was fishing with my son a couple of weeks ago. We were putting a spankin on the bar fish. we had a loon come up and we started tossing a few his way. ended up feeding him 6 fish. It was funny watching him try to get them down.

Well there ya go.....
That's what trains them a boat= food.....
Posted By: Jerry T.

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/26/16 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Laner
I felt like I was in the scene from Finding Nemo, when the gulls were like "mine, mine, mine."

roflmao
Posted By: Bruce Bullard

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/26/16 11:28 PM

Hey Todd, is this yours, I thought it was going to get out of the water Sunday, pretty sure he has been getting some easy meals from someone.

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/27/16 08:26 AM

Originally Posted By: SK.

It has been pretty much this clear all winter down south.
Very muddy up north on the West arm a couple of wks ago.
Posted By: crope1

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/27/16 08:59 AM

There have been several posts about some type of bird that has taken shots at crappie,normally leaving a puncture type hole in its side.Is this the bird you guys were referring to?
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/27/16 01:00 PM

Same thing happened to David and I a couple weeks ago at Pines. These are all young birds and evidently don't have any better sense. The older birds won't come within 100 yards of you.

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/27/16 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: tboxfish
Originally Posted By: SK.

It has been pretty much this clear all winter down south.
Very muddy up north on the West arm a couple of wks ago.

It works the opposite on my lake, the water clears on the north end before the south end... .
I heartell it's due to all the natural springs on the north end.....

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/27/16 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: crope1
There have been several posts about some type of bird that has taken shots at crappie,normally leaving a puncture type hole in its side.Is this the bird you guys were referring to?

The bird that normally punctures the fish is the ever-present Cormorant. (may have spelled that wrong, but most just call them Water-Turkeys)
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/27/16 05:34 PM

Give a bar fish a good tap on the head with the pliers and toss it to the loons. You'll make a friend for life. They usually hang back while I catch crappie, and as soon as I pull up a yellow bass they hustle over to the side of the boat for their treat.
Posted By: Resh

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/27/16 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
Give a bar fish a good tap on the head with the pliers and toss it to the loons. You'll make a friend for life. They usually hang back while I catch crappie, and as soon as I pull up a yellow bass they hustle over to the side of the boat for their treat.

Funny you say that, we used to do that for the bald eagles up in MN, we could get eagles to come grab a fish about 50 yds from the boat, the loons stay far back though. Never seen them acting so "social"
Posted By: DJB

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/29/16 12:56 AM

I've feed them yellow bellies for years on pines. They always turn the fish nose down before they swallow Its fun to watch
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/29/16 03:19 AM

I hand fed a couple minnows to one out here a couple of weeks ago... He flinched twice but took them both pretty quickly. This was his reward after he stole a couple minnows I was dropping down at the same time right off of the hooks. That loon you saw might have been my buddy "Bill"!
Posted By: stubby77

Re: They're getting BRAVE! - 01/29/16 03:11 PM

He is a young bird comes over to that gold cat every time I go outthere, loves bar fish ha
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum