Texas Fishing Forum

who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ?

Posted By: Mo

who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/19/16 11:28 PM

One of my jigging poles has an old abu 2500 on it. I really like the feel but can't
find any of those old reel with decent prices. Any other small . light , quality reels
out there ?
Would prefer with out thumbar.
I don't subscribe to the theory that for crappie you just need something to wind the line.
I want to land that hybrid or big cat that sometimes suck down a jig, so I needed a good
drag system.

MO
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/19/16 11:51 PM

All my vertical fishing is done with an 8' Pro Angler and a baitcaster. Each pull is about 2'. I can control my jig a lot better that guessing how much line in letting out with a spinning reel. But I have plenty of those too for other stuff!!
Posted By: fishin_farmer

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/20/16 12:02 AM

I use bait casters easier for me to get the right depth everytime. I use the h2o mettle reels you can at h them on sale at academy from time to time for like $25. But it does have a thumb bar
Posted By: sapalmer

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/20/16 12:18 AM

Its a different feel thats for sure.
Posted By: HooknSlabs35

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/20/16 12:21 AM

I use them and love them for vertical jigging. Being able to hit the release button to let the jig fall slowly a couple of feet has produced bites for me on many occasions. I have 2 Abu silver maxx reels on a couple of rods., and some academy cheapos on others.
Posted By: Bud B

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/20/16 01:03 AM

I was just making the switch from bass fishing to crappie fishing when I watched a video of someone using baitcast reels for vertical jigging for crappie. It occurred to me that I had a couple of left hand baitcast reels with thumbars and flipping switches. That setup works great for crappie. You either let the jig drop, or pull out the length of line you want, then just let go of the thumbar. With the flipping switch turned on, the instant you let go of the thumbar, the reel engages, and you're ready for a hookset. If a crappie hits during the drop (which happens often), all you have to do is make the hookset. The reel is already engaged and ready.

I've since upgraded to lighter, low profile reels, Abu Garcia Silver Maxes. They're the cat's meow for vertical crappie jigging, I think.
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/20/16 01:15 AM

I use an ABU Silver Max on my 10 footer....
Posted By: have_rod_reel_travel

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/20/16 01:51 AM

For the price you can't beat these... They are China made like most reels sold today, I've had no problems with these reels and all but two of my bass baitcasters are this brand.... http://www.kastking.com/baitcast-reels/ PM me and I can get you a deal around 27 bucks...
Posted By: Duck_Jerky

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/20/16 02:28 AM

All of my vertical fishing rods have baitcasters on them. No line twist, and more compact than spinning reels. I normally just by a $30-$35 reel from Academy or Bass Pro and don't worry too much about brand. They all work well for the type of fishing we are doing.
Posted By: SlabHappy

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/20/16 03:59 AM

I use Quantum Accurist on my 9'. Got them, with the flipping switches for $29 on sale at Academy. Bought all 6.
Posted By: crope1

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/20/16 05:06 AM

I prefer the baitcasters....
Posted By: Jacob

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/20/16 01:33 PM

That's all I use for jigging.
Posted By: have_rod_reel_travel

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/20/16 02:08 PM

I'm not a big fan of baitcasters when jigging but the gear ratio and power can't be duplicated by any other reel style... If I wasn't in love with fly rods I would be using one for sure....
Posted By: O2 Bubbler

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/20/16 05:13 PM

Guess I have been using my spinning reel for everything. Thanks for this post. Makes very good logic. Guess I need to start packing a variety of reels in my backpack.

With or without bobber?
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/20/16 06:00 PM

Depends on how deep. If they are in the weeds shallow, I might use a float. But if the are deeper, say in timber, then no float. But this is straight up and down fishing, not casting... at least for me.
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/20/16 06:40 PM

I've been using an Ice fishing reel from Eagle Claw.
Good drag system and you can set the reel tension so it free falls and there's no line twist that a spinning rod has.
The magnum model is too large, but the 2 on the chart in the link below work great.
I prefer the smaller model: ECILIR

Eagle Claw Ice Fishing Reel

I brought a 2.42# to the surface with no issues last Sunday with the smaller reel.
I can't testify about how long they last yet.

THANKS Gonzz for giving me a heads-up about these!! thumb
Posted By: larry mays

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/20/16 07:14 PM

Todd, do I understand this right that the rod would be in my right hand. And does it feel small when in use, or is it something like a small spinning reel feel. Got to ask, did you have it on a G-Rod on the 2.42?
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/20/16 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: larry mays
Todd, do I understand this right that the rod would be in my right hand. And does it feel small when in use, or is it something like a small spinning reel feel. Got to ask, did you have it on a G-Rod on the 2.42?

Yes Larry, you hold the rod in your right hand and reel with your left just like a right handed bait caster, except it's hanging down. It weighs the same as a small spinning reel.
There's a button in the middle of the handle which activates the free spool. If it starts letting line out too fast, you simply touch your middle finger to the spool.
I have it on a 9' G-Rod. I have 1 more of the Micro models that I'm going to put on a 10'6" rear handle G-Rod for timber fishing.
Belinda has the middle size in pink on a 9' G-Rod.
Posted By: larry mays

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/20/16 09:42 PM

Thanks Todd, sounds like a fun set up.
Posted By: chickenman

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/21/16 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: tboxfish
...you hold the rod in your right hand and reel with your left just like a right handed bait caster, except it's hanging down. It weighs the same as a small spinning reel.

Thats what I do. Been using cheap-o Academy mettles. The low profile sure is nice and it beats a hay baler.
Posted By: crappie1

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/21/16 04:26 AM

Last season I used an AbuGarcia Black Max and it work well on an 8' Proangler but it got pulled into the lake. Last week I picked up a couple of the Academy brand reels that look exactly like the AbuGarcia Black Max. They rang up at $19.98 each when I checked out. The list price was $29.95. Those will be for clients. I picked up a left handed Extreme from Bass Pro on sale. That one is for me. These reels are about 7oz. and low profile. That is the main advantage of this type of reel. If you like the 2500's and that type of the older reels, you can pick them up for a reasonable price at Canton. That is where I get a big part of my fishing supplies. After seeing the prices on everything at Canton, it is hard for me to even go to Academy, Bass Pro, or Cabelas.

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/21/16 02:21 PM

I would rather take a beating than go to first Monday. I will check out the black max,
My 2500 weighs 9 oz , so 7oz sounds good, just have to get used to the thumb bar.

Mo
Posted By: DPDALAN

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/21/16 02:27 PM

I have a couple of black max and a couple of revos left over from bass fishing, thats all I use, no line twist and don't get all wrapped around the top of the spool
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/21/16 02:28 PM

Mo the bait and tackle shop on RC has tons of reels and rods at great prices.Id say he keeps 500 reels on display all the time.Darrell
Posted By: koobycrappie

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/21/16 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: fishin_farmer
I use bait casters easier for me to get the right depth everytime. I use the h2o mettle reels you can at h them on sale at academy from time to time for like $25. But it does have a thumb bar

+1
Posted By: DavisGuideService

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/21/16 03:44 PM

Ive recently converted to bait casters for jigging. got tired of pulling drag and untwisting line.they also store a lot easier.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/21/16 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Mo
I would rather take a beating than go to first Monday. I will check out the black max,
My 2500 weighs 9 oz , so 7oz sounds good, just have to get used to the thumb bar.

Mo

roflmao But where else can you get a funnel cake, buy some household decorations, fishing tackle, and pick up a coon dawg at the same time! Can't even do that at Walmart!! My wife goes 3-4 times a year and always comes home saying how crowded it was! I go to the camp at Fork and she goes to Canton! Works out for both of us I guess!!

x3 on the H20 Mettle reels. I got several when they were on sale for $29. Happy so far.
Posted By: Steve_C

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/21/16 05:00 PM

I use baitcaster (Abu Garcia ORRA Sx) for jigging as it is much easier to control the depth and it feels better since i can always put my thumb on the line. I even use the lefty model so I can have the same reeling hand as I would with spinner.
Posted By: Retired Fisherman

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/21/16 06:39 PM

I use left handed baitcasters (Bass Pro Extreme low profile) for vertical fishing.

Re: who uses baitcasters for vertical jigging ? - 01/21/16 09:54 PM

Black max in Cabellas bargain cave for $29.00 right now.

good luck

MO
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum