Texas Fishing Forum

Let's Talk Winter Crappie

Posted By: Ken Gaby

Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/06/16 10:31 PM

We've all got our opinion and theories about these fish we love to chase and catch.

Back years ago when I chased all kinds of fish, my thought was crappie in the winter went deep when the water got cold (and I had no idea what that meant temp wise) and were rather dormant. Years later, I think the only part I got right was "went deep." Now, I'm of the opinion that crappie eat a lot of shad during the winter and aren't dormant at all. Winter just may be their heaviest feeding time. Not sure how cold the water must get before they actually get lethargic. I know shad start dying off at about 39 degrees, but I'm not sure that hurts the crappie. Reason I think winter is the heavy feeding time: have you ever caught a shinny crappie in the early spring? I think once they leave deep water to head to spawning areas, they eat very little until they finish what mother nature intended. Hence, the skinny crappie we catch post spawn some years when the cold fronts keep bumping the water temps down and interrupting the spawn.

What's y'alls opinion/theory?
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/06/16 10:42 PM

One thing I have noticed lately (since it really cooled off the last week and a half or so) at Grapevine is that their feeding windows seem to be very short. Most if not all of the fish that I have cleaned recently have had at least one shad in their bellies. I know the fish are there but getting them to bite has been an issue. Not sure if it is related to the colder water but that is what I have noticed. As far as the skinny post spawn crappie, a lot of their belly bulge comes from their eggs (well females).. so when they spawn those eggs they get skinny.
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/06/16 10:44 PM

Bill Dance had a show on the other day how water temp affects fish .On thing he said that made me think is that there digestive system slows way down the colder it gets.Still eatin but not digesting hence huge bellies.Why can't we get a fish biologist on this forum ?Why can't we ask the folks in the know instead of guessing ?Darrell
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/06/16 11:05 PM

More I fish for em the less I know about em!! Maybe little man can fill me in!! roflmao

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/06/16 11:12 PM

For skinny, I'm talking thickness across the back. Two years ago when we had multiple cold fronts in the spring and the spawn seemed to stretch into May, there were lots of complaints about how bad the crappie looked. That complaint was coming from Alabama to Texas. Fish didn't look healthy and their overall weight was down.
Posted By: Beltonbanger�

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/06/16 11:23 PM

Hey Ken.....what about a year like this? I wonder if the water temps will even hit 55°, the temp you should start seeing them move up. Generally the water temps are in the mid to upper 40s this time of year!

Here are a few Yankee thangs!!! Lethargic is an ice fishing bite! Very light lines, floats and baits, only detecting the slightest bite..........still catch FAT fish. Up north, you catch some of the biggest crappie and bream under ice. Your theory on crappie winter feeding is point on in my opinion!

Interesting............????
Posted By: Harleyrockstar

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/06/16 11:51 PM

I have yet to figure out a winter bite. Going to try my luck on Lake Austin Friday and will give a report. Have struck out on Georgetown and Granger this winter already.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/07/16 12:16 AM

Bill, with these last two weeks of cold temps, the water in Belton on Monday morning was 52.8-53.9. Finally beginning to get to winter temps. Before that, temps were holding near 60 and that wasn't cold enough to make the shad head for deep water. With fresh water coming in most lakes and warmer than usual water temps, fish were scattered all over the lakes. Things are changing now.
Posted By: Tony from Oak Point

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/07/16 03:49 AM

I agree that winter is heavy feeding time. I've seen it on my graph and on underwater video how crappie will school around very aggressively in 51 degree water.
Posted By: TexExp

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/07/16 03:55 AM

Good thread Ken! Thanks.

Yep, agree. They put on the feed bag.
These were caught in the last few weeks out in the main lake roaming around with hybrids chasing shad. Not sure how you would ever target these guys in the open water like that.

Posted By: OkieBob

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/07/16 12:43 PM

I've often wondered what the temp gradient is in any lake? By that I mean the temperature from top to bottom.
Does it very 5 degrees from the surface to the bottom at 20' depth? Or how does it vary?
I know I can see, what I believe are crappie stacked close to the bottom in deep water but, have no way to know the water temp they are holding at.
When I was in the Navy, I worked on a system that measured temp and pressure with a device dropped over the side and lowered several thousand feet. So there has to be a way to do it.
How does this relate to Ken's question? I don't know but, I think it does.
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/07/16 01:17 PM

Hands down, the winter is my favorite time for crappie fishing. It's about the only time of the year that crappie don't necessarily relate to structure. And yes, it is my opinion that crappie feed heavily during the winter as evidenced by watching crappie suspend just below schools of shad in colder water. Crappie are also opportunist when it comes to feeding. Colder water slows down metabolisms in both game fish and bait fish, thereby allowing crappie a much easier meal to obtain. Gotta love winter time crappie fishing thumb
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/07/16 01:51 PM

All though they mention ice fishing in the article, it gets me wondering. Cold water is cold water weather there is ice or no ice. I have discussed with other anglers lately and have found that crappie adapt to water temp and not all crappie go deep. In fact some of the largest crappie are caught shallow in the coldest of temps and not necessarily in creeks but in areas you would most likely pass on in the winter.

I found this article to be interesting:

http://www.in-fisherman.com/panfish/crappie-black-or-white/understanding-winter-crappies/
Posted By: Buz

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/07/16 02:01 PM

The reason l enjoy this forum, are discussions like this one. For a novice fisherman like myself, I consider this excellent background information.....Thanks Ken....
Posted By: HooknSlabs35

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/07/16 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Buz
The reason l enjoy this forum, are discussions like this one. For a novice fisherman like myself, I consider this excellent background information.....Thanks Ken....

+1 thumb
Posted By: larry mays

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/07/16 03:54 PM

As for as the crappie feeding I don't think they slow down at all. Last winter the crappie went deep for about 7-10 days. Looks like this year may not be that long, the crappie are the same place now they will be in May and June. We have the threadfin shad in the lakes I fish and here in Texas where we get no cold weather they start to died off at 42-43 degrees. If it does get to 42 or so the crappie will feed on them as they can't run. Its not the fish, but the fisherman going deep on our lakes.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/07/16 07:26 PM

Okie Bob, one of the best crappie fishermen I know once said he was catching crappie at Bob Sandlin right on the bottom and they had mud on their pelvic and anal fins. I thought, I'm not sure what you were seeing but they couldn't have mud on their fins. That statement kept bugging me and then I thought about something "The Crappie Guy" posted on here about 3-4 years ago and said he checked water temps once on Lavon I believe and had surface temp at 49, but once below 35 ft the temp went to 51 and 52 right near the bottom. And then my 7th grade science kicked in and it dawned on me, the earth's core temp is 58 degrees. So where would the water be warmest but closest to the heat source. Just like a pot belly stove in the middle of the room, the warmest place is as close to the stove as you can get. That particular year those fish had mud on their fins, the surface water temp was 43 degrees. So when the fish weren't feeding, the warmest place for them was resting on the bottom. And much of this depends on the size of the lake you fish and average depth. Small lakes can be an exception. I'm talking about lakes the size of LOP and larger.

Larry, I agree, not every crappie will go deep or up a creek. However, I also believe the majority of the crappie will be where the majority of the food is. Once the surface temp gets 52 or less, I find very few shad in 10 FOW. On nice sunny days like today, some shad will make a major move to shallow water in the afternoon where the temp is 3-5 degrees warmer and fish will follow. Lots of blue cat fishermen catch blues up shallow in the winter. But blue cat can tolerate much colder temps than crappie and are much more active in cold water than warm water.

Right now the surface temps are cooling but just a few feet down, the water may still be warmer and hence shad are still roaming, especially at night. A few more cold nights and days will have the cold water sinking thru that warm layer and then we'll see the shad start to really get thick out deeper. And fewer shad in the shallows. Crappie will be close to the dinner table. The only exception I've found to that is early spring when they move shallow. I've caught crappie spawning when there wasn't a bait fish within 1/2 mile.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/07/16 07:41 PM

It has nothing to do with whether they feed more in winter or spring or summer or fall. Everything has to do with the ease of obtaining a meal.
I often hear guys say.. THE CRAPPIE WERE STUFFED WITH SHAD.. Really,, so you cut them open an 10, shad fell out of thier stomach, 7, 5 , 2 ?? MALARKY,, Ive never caught a crappie with more than one shad or minnow in its belly, and some partially digested goop in the intesines. The fact is, crappie will eat one or 2 minnow or shad every couple days. I know this because I had one in a tank for close to a year, and observed how often it fed. I actually counted the minnows daily.
The main factor in winter is as Anthony mentioned, is the feed window. The crappie are amongst medium to large schools of shad and feed at will, either in deeper water, or shallow creeks.
Why are the crappie sometimes skinny in summer, its because they must work alot harder to catch thier food. Thats why when fishing a brushpile, as soon as the sun sets... THEY GONE..
Where did they go, they are going to follow larger schools of gamefish like white bass. and black bass into main lake coves, (ones with flats one one side are preffered). The larger gamefish corral the shad and chase the shad from one area to the next. The crappie may feed well and they may not. The next morning, they will be hanging around dropoffs and areas that the feast occured the night before, then gradually move to the brushpiles to rest. The crappie that bite during the day in summer, are the ones who didnt get much the night before.
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/07/16 07:51 PM

Great topic Ken thumb

A lot of good food for thought hmmm

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/07/16 08:54 PM

Ken, I do think you are right on most of it, but the part you are missing when the majority go deep, it the schooling fish for The most part the small ones. If a person can find mud bottom next to creek with a old tree line to protect it from boats. All that is needed is a log, brush pile, are any thing that will pass for cover and pick up some big crappie. They do not hit a jig, but take it in soft most times. Its the way I like to fish best.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/08/16 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: leanin post
It has nothing to do with whether they feed more in winter or spring or summer or fall. Everything has to do with the ease of obtaining a meal.
I often hear guys say.. THE CRAPPIE WERE STUFFED WITH SHAD.. Really,, so you cut them open an 10, shad fell out of thier stomach, 7, 5 , 2 ?? MALARKY,, Ive never caught a crappie with more than one shad or minnow in its belly, and some partially digested goop in the intesines. The fact is, crappie will eat one or 2 minnow or shad every couple days. I know this because I had one in a tank for close to a year, and observed how often it fed. I actually counted the minnows daily.
The main factor in winter is as Anthony mentioned, is the feed window. The crappie are amongst medium to large schools of shad and feed at will, either in deeper water, or shallow creeks.
Why are the crappie sometimes skinny in summer, its because they must work alot harder to catch thier food. Thats why when fishing a brushpile, as soon as the sun sets... THEY GONE..
Where did they go, they are going to follow larger schools of gamefish like white bass. and black bass into main lake coves, (ones with flats one one side are preffered). The larger gamefish corral the shad and chase the shad from one area to the next. The crappie may feed well and they may not. The next morning, they will be hanging around dropoffs and areas that the feast occured the night before, then gradually move to the brushpiles to rest. The crappie that bite during the day in summer, are the ones who didnt get much the night before.

Wow......good info! Especially for a fish in a 12" to 15" tank!

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/08/16 04:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Beltonbanger®

What makes you think the tank was 12 to 15 inches? Im 100 percent sure you have never seen my fish tank, so why do you assume it is a small tank?
If you would pay attention and instead of trying to find ways to discredit others information, you might learn something.
Listen , if you can find Petsmart, go there and ask to see the BIGGEST tank in the store.. Then you will see what I have,, haha

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/08/16 12:15 PM

Great post Ken, and very true. These fish are gorging themselves on shad in prep for the journey and task come spring. All the fish. Remember the cats on Tawk. I mounted two yellow bass that were huge......all stuffed with shad.
Posted By: RODS454

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/08/16 12:45 PM

What makes you think the tank was 12 to 15 inches? Im 100 percent sure you have never seen my fish tank, so why do you assume it is a small tank?
If you would pay attention and instead of trying to find ways to discredit others information, you might learn something.
Listen , if you can find Petsmart, go there and ask to see the BIGGEST tank in the store.. Then you will see what I have,, haha

1 fish in your home, over 1 year is indicative of all fish in the USA? I have to question that! Not a very scientific study. Just because you have never seen it doesn't make it so.
"If you would pay attention and instead of trying to find ways to discredit others information, you might learn something."
You might want to follow your own suggestion.
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/08/16 01:14 PM

OK boys...let's all sit in a circle, hold hands, and sing kumbaya smile. Crappie in the winter, by nature, understand that obtaining food is easier in colder water than it is in warmer water, and being opportunist, they eat as often as the opportunity allows, especially the females. They are already carrying an egg load and require all the protein they can get. The temperature of the water is relative, depending upon the depth that they happen to be in. If they're in a creek (like yesterday when Chuck Rollins got a really good stringer), the water is colder. If they're in a lake and can go deeper, the water is warmer. Unlike us, they must deal with what nature hands them, cause they don't have coats frown.
Posted By: koobycrappie

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/08/16 01:51 PM

Thanks for bringing up this topic Ken. Most of what has been discussed I am in agreement with.
Especially the 52 degree and less water temp(surface temp), being the point when shad are going to be on the bottom 2-3ft. when fishing waters 25 ft. and deeper.

The bite on LBJ that normally gets good around this time of year fishing deep(bottom bouncing) has not been very good at all. I am usually catching good numbers in 28-40ft. of water,but surface temps have only got to 54 at the lowest so far this year.

Thanks to everyone's insight on this, some info goes into this brain, and some just goes! popcorn2

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/08/16 09:46 PM

I don't think Ken will mind me asking this here. But what do you guy's call deep water? Always to me I think of water over 20-25 feet as deep. A guy call me from Mississippi this morning to order some jigs and he said they use over 10 foot as deep. Guess I fish deep water more than I knew.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/08/16 09:59 PM

That is the difference in lakes and areas Larry. Got to respect these tourney guys that fish all over the country!

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/08/16 10:34 PM

I think of deep when I start fishing 25+ feet deep. Actually having the bait at that depth, not fishing 15 ft deep in 25 FOW. My opinions above about the winter crappie go out the window when you look at a lake like Caddo. But from what I hear about Caddo in the winter, the crappie do head to the deeper water. Also may not apply to small lakes like Winnsboro. But everything is still relative to where's the comfort zone. Shad will still seek their comfort zone in the lake and the other fish will follow to eat.
Once the comfort zone shrinks and the bait is concentrated, getting a meal probably becomes easier.

I was out on Belton this afternoon and the water temp is 55.6; up from 52.8 Monday morning. That's a big jump in just a few days. Three degrees may not seem like much, but when your swimming in it and your body temp adjusts to the surroundings, it's probably a big deal. The shad balls I saw were suspended from 15-35 ft in 50 FOW.
Good fisheveryone.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/09/16 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: RODS454

1 fish in your home, over 1 year is indicative of all fish in the USA? I have to question that! Not a very scientific study. Just because you have never seen it doesn't make it so.
"If you would pay attention and instead of trying to find ways to discredit others information, you might learn something."
You might want to follow your own suggestion.

Sir, let me ask you.. how many 1 to 3 inch minnows or shad do you believe would fit in a stomach the size of a fig? thats abt the size of a mature crappies stomach. Ive cleaned thousands of crappie from different lakes, in different seasons, and have never cleaned one with more than one medium shad or minnow or 2 small baitfish in thier belly, .. why is this concept so hard to grasp?
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/09/16 01:35 AM

troll
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/09/16 02:02 AM

Hey Rotten Post, when I feed my crappie I will sometimes buy a dozen 3" Gold Fish along with a 1/2 pounds of minnows.

I will tell you this, they will most likely eat a 3" goldfish (slow swimmers) as soon as the goldfish hits the water, then within a minute they will eat 2 or 4 minnows and sometimes more as fast as they can choke them down.

Someone forgot to tell these fish, you better only eat one minnow.

Of course these fish are 2 pounders.
Posted By: ATM97

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/09/16 02:11 AM

I'm just glad this guy thought he had room in his stomach for my jig. He spit out a 4" threadfin and it looks to me like he had a few more stuffed in his belly. It was not a lethargic bite.

Have definitely found this topic to be most informative. There definitely seems to be a comfort zone on palestine the shad are hanging out at, 15 ft or so and have caught several species of fish haning out under them. These graph shots were palestine from last week and it its interesting to me that the level the fish are at even though they are mostly whites and hybrids is the same depth we have been catching most of our crappie at.

Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/09/16 02:20 AM

thumb

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/09/16 05:30 AM

Posted By: Davedave

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/09/16 05:43 AM

Originally Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

That new graph you bought is impressive if that's what you're seeing.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/09/16 02:30 PM

Let me repeat myself. Practice what you preach. By the way, you might want to check out ATM97's pictures. Obviously you are mistaken.
Posted By: Spring Lizard Waterdog

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/09/16 08:20 PM

In extreme weather whether cold or hot. The largest fish including bass can slow their metabolism themselves. They do not need as much food or oxygen. That is why you always see the smaller fish first in a fish kill. That is also why you have to fish slower.
Right now fish are scattered and almost impossible to target. If it would get cold and stay cold for a couple more weeks they will bunch up in deep water on cover.
Posted By: Thunk

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/09/16 09:41 PM

Really enjoy these posts! I don't understand the 'biomechanics' of all of it but I do understand that genetics play a part in the overall 'potential' of size of crappie. Metabolism is in direct correlation with caloric energy in all living things. Summation: If the crappie that you are catching are 'opportunistic' feeders just as all fish... and myself if I'm honest then, just like me they put on weight when they don't exercise as much therefore my system like the crappie's becomes sluggish. I tend to hold onto the weight longer like the crappie do and the food stays in my system longer.
Do they respond by eating less on a full stomach? I do. I think muscle mass vs. caloric expenditure and genetics is a huge discussion which my limited amount of knowledge would be better defaulted to a 'fisheries biologist'. I think... the size/condition of crappie or any other fish is in direct correlation to the amount of available constistent forage--- Shad, minnows, crustaceans, etc. at the available sizes for crappie to consume. Better year classes of shad esp. thread-fin because their maximum size is less than a gizzard shad will likely produce more consistent size/growth ratios in crappie. Competition from other other species has a direct correlation to these issues as well. Talk to a fisheries biologist for the area and of course in Texas just go to Texas Parks and Wildlife pages to view the latest fish survey for that lake. hooked

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/09/16 09:54 PM

Let me add that 'Opportunistic' is a relative term to when your next meal is and crappie like all other fish will eat till they 'throw-up' the excess. I don't anymore but I used to...then my metabolism slowed down. barf
Posted By: Tommy Ezell

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/10/16 04:20 PM

Ken this is a bit off topic but also pertains to conditions we are experiencing. I was wondering what your two cents was on why the crappie will not bite or the bite is ever so light after flooding? I find this slow bite to happen most when debris is abundant throughout the water column. Are the light bites due to the fish mouthing a bait making sure it's actually food? That's the conclusion I've come to. I've repetitively tried to figure this out since this scenario is upon us so often finding stacked cover with little to no success.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/10/16 04:21 PM

Oh, and superb thread of which we need much more of.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/10/16 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: larry mays
Ken, I do think you are right on most of it, but the part you are missing when the majority go deep, it the schooling fish for The most part the small ones. If a person can find mud bottom next to creek with a old tree line to protect it from boats. All that is needed is a log, brush pile, are any thing that will pass for cover and pick up some big crappie. They do not hit a jig, but take it in soft most times. Its the way I like to fish best.

Read this everyone. Larry gave it up right here. Just depends on if you want a meat run or you want a wall hanger.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/10/16 05:18 PM

Let me repeat myself. Practice what you preach. By the way, you might want to check out ATM97's pictures. Obviously you are mistaken.

the picture shows ONE shad. Many species of fish will regurgitate partially undigested baitfish when there is a prospect of a fresh meal., Thats why large schools of white bass go into a frenzy if you can get a couple to bite. Thats why when you smell the watermellon rind smell after a feeding, of the regurgutation and shad oils.
The only point im trying to make here is that I believe when people say crappie are STUFFED with shad, that gives people the picture in thier mind that the fish has dozens of shad in thier belly and wont feed for days. I dont believe that is the case.
Many folks just repeat the same thing they heard someone else say with out even check it out, and the false information keeps getting repeated.
Heres another example, many folks were putting out water temps when crappie move shallow to make thier beds. There seemed to be a large population that believed the magic temp was 57 to 59 degrees. Several people on this forum got curious and started fishing shallow before the temps got that high and found they had already started moving shallow at 52 degrees.
Just another example of folks repeating something that was said and taken to be absolute truth..

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/10/16 05:34 PM

if all it takes to convince you is a caught crappie with one shad in its mouth, then you must be easily convinced. Show me a mess of fish, with thier bellies cut open with 5 or 6 parially shad digesting inside, then you have my attention. .
plz dont type in red indicating your angry,... if you want to have a productive debate, im all for finding the truth, but dont just answer with..
"you need to practice what you preach"... which is just repeating what I said, after I posted useful information..

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/10/16 05:49 PM

Hey Rotten Post, when I feed my crappie I will sometimes buy a dozen 3" Gold Fish along with a 1/2 pounds of minnows.

I will tell you this, they will most likely eat a 3" goldfish (slow swimmers) as soon as the goldfish hits the water, then within a minute they will eat 2 or 4 minnows and sometimes more as fast as they can choke them down.

how big are the minnows., usually this time of year, around 3 inches?
So your saying a 3 inch goldfish and 2 to 4 three inch minnows in one short feeding?
So within around one minute, one 3 inch gold fish, and 2 to 4 minnows....
Heck, if its that fast, I bet you could video that?
Do you have minnows in the tank all the time for them to eat, or do you take the minnows out after they feed?

Just for the heck of it, will you video them eating the 3 to 5 baitfish in a minute or so and post it here? Im sure many would enjoy seeing it?

ps if you want to withold food for a couple days, its fine.. I just want to see if it is really possible for them to eat that much, all that fast/
I had one pound crappie. So maybe I learn something here.
Posted By: koobycrappie

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/10/16 07:02 PM

Gee wizzzzz. All of this just to see how much a crappie eats.

I will say that 57 -59 temp is a good range that I see crappie in their spawning locations.

Not scientific, just what I have observed on the lakes I fish.
If an individual thinks it's 52 degrees or whatever, who really cares, not me.
I fish about 150-200 days a year. That's enough time to figure out a pattern.

You might find crappie on the lakes you fish in spawning areas at 52 degrees, but I won't be fishing shallow spawning area's until temps are around 55 and it is after Feb. 22nd.

I already know other patterns that work better for ME when surface temps are 52.

Don't be so fast to discredit what others have observed if you weren't there. popcorn2

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/10/16 07:21 PM

how big are the minnows., usually this time of year, around 3 inches?
So your saying a 3 inch goldfish and 2 to 4 three inch minnows in one short feeding?
So within around one minute, one 3 inch gold fish, and 2 to 4 minnows....
Heck, if its that fast, I bet you could video that?
Do you have minnows in the tank all the time for them to eat, or do you take the minnows out after they feed?

Just for the heck of it, will you video them eating the 3 to 5 baitfish in a minute or so and post it here? Im sure many would enjoy seeing it?

ps if you want to withold food for a couple days, its fine.. I just want to see if it is really possible for them to eat that much, all that fast/
I had one pound crappie. So maybe I learn something here.

I don't know if your capable of catching a 2 pound crappie or not. If so catch a 2 pounder, put in your tank and feed it yourself. That way there is no way for me to rig the video.

It is now up to you to catch a 2 pounder.

I will wait on your report and check back with you in about a week, betting you can't even catch one.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/10/16 08:25 PM

Steve (lp), this thread wasn't started for the sake of argument. People have different observations and opinions and there's no right or wrong to any of it. My statement was that winter may be when crappie feed the heaviest and eat a lot of shad. No one mentioned a dozen or dozens of shad in a crappie belly at one time; except you.

Perhaps if you stated your observations as just that, observations, rather than as an argument against any opinion you disagree with, your opinion might be better received.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/10/16 08:37 PM

Had several people tell me over a period of about 15 years I suppose that if there is a 'drawdown' and let out of water the fish will be in a 'negative' mood. May explain them being stacked with no luck. I have heard that fish closer to the dam react by shutting down completely.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/10/16 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Tommy Ezell
Ken this is a bit off topic but also pertains to conditions we are experiencing. I was wondering what your two cents was on why the crappie will not bite or the bite is ever so light after flooding? I find this slow bite to happen most when debris is abundant throughout the water column. Are the light bites due to the fish mouthing a bait making sure it's actually food? That's the conclusion I've come to. I've repetitively tried to figure this out since this scenario is upon us so often finding stacked cover with little to no success.

Wished I knew that answer Tommy. Not sure why flooding causes that problem, but guessing it has something to do with the nutrients in the water. Used to hear about fish not biting right after big rises on lakes and people would say the fish are sick for a day or two. I thought it was because the fish scattered and relocated. Maybe lots of fresh water does something to their system and they have to adjust. Maybe all the debris in the water does something to the oxygen level and they lose their appetite.

In winter I notice the same type bite and my unscientific (WAG) opinion is the bait is more concentrated and crappie can feed easily. With food readily available, the imitation might not be as attractive as the real McCoy. Therefore the little nips and bites are taste testing. Winter may be when we need that scent the most. I've found that putting a piece of minnow or shad on the jig hook makes the bite much better at times. I've even taken minnows and filleted the side and put that piece on the jig hook. Seems to help get a better hook up sometimes as the fish inhale the bait more often.
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/10/16 09:21 PM

Well 4 pages and have we really learned anything .Surely with all the computer gurus someone can get some answers from a biologist with some hard data.Surely Mr Crappie knows somebody to help us with these questions.I looked on the Tx Fresh Water Fishery page but did not find a page to ask questions.Oh well I am going to get some slowwwwww gold fish and fish from 1 to 40 ft and see what happens.Ok I'm through.Darrell

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/10/16 10:39 PM

"plz dont type in red indicating your angry", No anger here. Just highlighting your hypocrisy. Preach one thing and practice another. One is all it takes when you said never. LOL
Really doesn't matter either way, it is just your know it all attitude. grin
Tight lines

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/10/16 10:42 PM

"Are the light bites due to the fish mouthing a bait making sure it's actually food? "
Tommy, if this is the case, would using a scent on the jig help to have the fish hold on longer?

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/10/16 10:58 PM

I didn't know they slowed down, they still thumping the fire out of the Purple Passion.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/10/16 11:06 PM

"Are the light bites due to the fish mouthing a bait making sure it's actually food? "
Tommy, if this is the case, would using a scent on the jig help to have the fish hold on longer?

I don't even know if they were mouthing it. It's those ever so light ticks. You know me I throw everything but a minnow at them. Even contemplated that in the past just to see but can't make myself get back into old habbits. Nothing wrong with minnows as everyone has different goals.

The only time this really occurs is when I can see lots of debris on top and in the water column on my electronics. Just thought I'd see if anyone else has thought about it. Thank god it doesn't happen often.
Posted By: red snappa

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/11/16 12:37 PM

I have to agree with SheCrappieKilla. The high water has not effected the bite for me, and the bite has been solid THUMPS on the purple passion. Two trips at the dam on Fork has produced, even after the bulk of the rain and they were letting as much water as possible out. So, was I lucky or did I just find really hungry crappie? Was it the color being used? I am interested in what you guys think, because most of you spend way more time on the water than I do! I just consider myself an OK catcherman! Could it just be the conditions of the days I fished?

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/11/16 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: red snappa
I have to agree with SheCrappieKilla. The high water has not effected the bite for me, and the bite has been solid THUMPS on the purple passion. Two trips at the dam on Fork has produced, even after the bulk of the rain and they were letting as much water as possible out. So, was I lucky or did I just find really hungry crappie? Was it the color being used? I am interested in what you guys think, because most of you spend way more time on the water than I do! I just consider myself an OK catcherman! Could it just be the conditions of the days I fished?

I dunno. I've fished twice in the last few weeks and it was a lake that was 13+ high. Sounds like Fork has been producing well cause everyone is going there. I don't think I've been back since the G2G. High water conditions can be overcame. I was wondering about right after a flood and debris in the water column.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/11/16 02:55 PM

The signs and symptoms you have described is an indication of using the wrong colors.

It is truly no different than fishing in bright sunny sky's vs dark cloudy conditions, you must fish the most effective colors for the conditions that day.

That is your tips and tricks for the day.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/11/16 03:06 PM

Everyone gets humbled from time to time. We tend to think about the daily conditions to TRY to figure out why. It could be any one of various reasons. We just don't hear much about these situations due the the personal perception issue. These humbling days are the best to talk about as that is how we learn.

Most have found ways to catch under flood conditions and the debris settle but I've found it very difficult to buy a bite right after a flood stops and the lake is still full of unsettled particles.

There are a number of things that work and have been discussed to the point they are rules of thumb. Like water clarity during high water conditions and the bait colors that work the best. I'd say the guys I prefer to get info out of stick with black and chartreuse in low visibility conditions. 

What I've been pondering is what to do when I've planned a fishing adventure and it rains off and on all week to the point the creeks are pushing tons of debris in the water. I sure would like to fish a big productive lake to find some bigger fish, but I've found those conditions to be more than tough.

So this is what I've done and shared with a few that'll probably call me shortly. When it started flooding last spring I was not going to sit around. I decided to pull up maps and find lakes that had steady water levels, lakes that didn't get a lot of run off. For instance Lake Holbrook has some nice black crappie, has published brush piles on TPWL site and little movement in water levels. This proved to be fun for a couple of trips but wasn't challenging. There are lots of lakes like this just a search away on the net.
Posted By: SK.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/11/16 04:19 PM

TE something that I like doing is going the opposite of a lot I hear/read just to see if it'll work....
I've always heard dark baits in/on dark days/murky water conditions but I catch plenty going bright, white/chart or straight chart....
I'm no constant 2lb wacker but those pound & aahhh halvers sure are fun flipping in tha boat...
Juss something to think about eeks OMG

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/11/16 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: SK.
TE something that I like doing is going the opposite of a lot I hear/read just to see if it'll work....
I've always heard dark baits in/on dark days/murky water conditions but I catch plenty going bright, white/chart or straight chart....
I'm no constant 2lb wacker but those pound & aahhh halvers sure are fun flipping in tha boat...

Exactly, that's why we have the forum. To learn. No one person will ever have it completely figured out. There are rules of thump that should work but when all else fails a good angler better have an imagination to think out of the box.

And yup I can't recall the last time I used black/char. Salt n Pepper is my first choice in dark conditions. I'm really not hung up on color though. Profile and presentation is the key imho.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/11/16 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: SK.

Exactly, this and fast moving baits is all you need to know on certain days and conditions.
Posted By: Hickory Nut

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/11/16 10:19 PM

I remember hearing an old man that always seemed to catch crappie say that on a rise the fish get silt and mud across their gills and it makes them sick.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/11/16 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Hickory Nut
I remember hearing an old man that always seemed to catch crappie say that on a rise the fish get silt and mud across their gills and it makes them sick.

Great feed back. Thank you

I thought about the fish filtering that water and discussed it with my tournament partner.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/12/16 12:38 PM

This is a fantastic thread! I am always trying to learn something, even when I can't get on the water. For everyone who contributed so far, THANKS! This has been a great read. My next question is for Tommy Ezell. The lake that you are fishing that is 13' high (I suspect is right down the road from me), have you had good or mixed results? I have made one trip and it was just not good. Winds were a little rough, but not unfishable. Water was still 56 degrees, but could not find anything on my electronics other than empty brush. That is why I tried Fork, but caught fish there. What do you think on that one? Every one else? They are similar sized lakes.
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/12/16 12:41 PM

hmmm
What you failed to mention RS, is that when the bite got good for you, you were soaking your bait in Slab Slobber. Although we had been using scent that day, RS got on a roll in the later afternoon, and made the statement, that he was soaking his bait before each redeployment. I soaked my bait and instantly caught a fish.
This topic was brought up previously in this thread, and I'm a firm believer that scent can make a TON of difference when the fish are not in a major feeding mode & lethargic.

2cents

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/12/16 02:13 PM

This is a fantastic thread! I am always trying to learn something, even when I can't get on the water. For everyone who contributed so far, THANKS! This has been a great read. My next question is for Tommy Ezell. The lake that you are fishing that is 13' high (I suspect is right down the road from me), have you had good or mixed results? I have made one trip and it was just not good. Winds were a little rough, but not unfishable. Water was still 56 degrees, but could not find anything on my electronics other than empty brush. That is why I tried Fork, but caught fish there. What do you think on that one? Every one else? They are similar sized lakes.

You are correct. I suspect the bite will be on this weekend. The bite had been off imho due to small particles in the water. There was stuff floating all through out the water column. This happens on Lavon as well immediately after a flood and the bite is slim to none. I can always manage a taco or two though.

There is only so much you can learn fishing the same fisheries. Nothing wrong with that depending on one's goals. I prefer to learn and the more lakes I've fished the more I've learned. For example I've truly avoided spider rigging. You get me on a lake like Grenada and I'll get my butt handed to me. It's not my thing just like jigs isn't other folks thing. We all should respect one another's styles and goals.

There are tid bits I get from the CAT meetings and various legends I know. In all reality there is some epic fishing to be done in Texas but it'll take research and TOW to accomplish it. I guess again that depends on your idea of epic. Is it finding lakes that aren't spoken of and finding how the fish relate to that lake or is it going to the spots that are well known every season and smashing the fish? Either way I can respect that.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie - 01/13/16 12:27 PM

Good catch Tboxfish! I wasn't even thinking about the fact that I actually used the Slab Slobber. Like Tommy Ezell said, learn from everyone you can and time on the water. I was one who never, ever used attractants on my jigs, but after joining this forum I have learned that a lot of really good crappie fisherman do! So about two months ago I finally got a bottle of the stuff because so many here on the forum used it. It took me that long to finally try it, and I think I need to field trial the stuff a couple hundred more times to make sure I give it a chance! Seriously though, that might be what the difference in the bite was!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum