Texas Fishing Forum

Engel coolers question

Posted By: DavisGuideService

Engel coolers question - 12/27/15 08:42 PM

Ok crappie tournament guys im looking to buy a cooler for tournament fishing which size should I buy 13qt 19qt or bigger?

thank,James.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Engel coolers question - 12/27/15 09:17 PM

30qt
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Engel coolers question - 12/27/15 09:50 PM

The 19 qt will keep a pound of minnows alive. That's as small as I would go. If you have plenty of space in the boat, the 30 qt is better.
Another option is buy the 25 qt Igloo marine and drill a small hole near the top for the aerator hose and get the Frabill aerator that runs on 2 D cells or 12 volts and you're good to go. I've never seen any of the Engel aerators last more than 6 months. I've used the Frabill aerator for 3 yrs with no problems. The Igloo marine cooler is insulated just as well if not better than the Engel.
Posted By: DavisGuideService

Re: Engel coolers question - 12/28/15 12:03 AM

thanks for the reply's guys, I just ordered the 30 qt. I plan on putting my frabill pump on it when I get it since the one that comes on it is really loud.
Posted By: kickingback

Re: Engel coolers question - 12/28/15 08:52 AM

I have the 19 and can carry 8 dozen to 1 pound of minnows and can keep them alive for 24 hours with an on board air pump with two hoses for more oxygen saturation. You don't really need two hoses but the bigger cooler you might want to use two or an oxygen system to keep them alive longer.
Engel's are a great bait holder. You could even use the 30 quart as a live well if needed I bet.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum