Texas Fishing Forum

They can run but they can't hide anymore

Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 02:26 AM

I bought my wife a Helix 10/360 for Christmas, from Shut Up and Fish.

I think she's going to love it, I know I do.

It's amazing how fast Technology progresses and these new Birds should be outlawed. They are that good.

Water temp 58.
Cloudy sky's.
Depth was 30 feet.
On the Frog.
No Bass fishermen seen. (Oh no he didn't!)

On the water by 2 and fished till dark, pull up to a spot and you could see the fish setting there, they wouldn't eat it until you juked enough to pisss em off. Then they would grab it. I saw every fish I caught on the graph, it is that crazy.

Thanks again David.

Anyways a few pics.

Posted By: crope1

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 02:31 AM

Kirk,is that the one that goes on the trolling motor? Glad the wife approves of your new found toy! lol!

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: crope1
Kirk,is that the one that goes on the trolling motor? Glad the wife approves of your new found toy! lol!

Yep, spot them 30 yards ahead and drive straight to them.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 03:00 AM

Now that's a true fishermen right there; thinking about his wife while he's on the water. bolt

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
Now that's a true fishermen right there; thinking about his wife while he's on the water. bolt

Oh yeah, I'am going to tell her about July. bolt
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 03:37 AM

It's gettin deeeeeeeep on here.Can ya tell if it' has a stripe on its nose?ha Darrell
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 03:38 AM

Happy to have had the repeat business Kirk. Always a pleasure assisting you.

Yes, the new Helix Series are the bomb and when you add the 360 Bow it is unmatched. Nothing else comes close.

Tight Lines....

Are you ready to step up your game...
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...rd#Post11284700

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: dwmoore
It's gettin deeeeeeeep on here.Can ya tell if it' has a stripe on its nose?ha Darrell

I seen these 3 dots when she yawned.

Posted By: Davedave

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 04:11 AM

Once again, nice work. I bet my wife would appreciate the 360, considering she has been on the boat once this year.

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 04:26 AM

Ok Ok now your starting to sound like Guy.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 04:42 AM

Nice post and some solid fish. Good job. cheers
Posted By: keyboard

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 09:35 AM

ok you convinced me picked upine from David yesterday. Got to go see if I can use it now.
Posted By: 25orbust

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 12:52 PM

You wouldn't happen to have any screen shots? I sure would like to see that.
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 12:53 PM

I've got the same Helix 10/360 setup Kirk. It's taking me a little while to get it set up correctly (getting static out...which I've never had before), but I agree, it is a game changer thumb

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: 25orbust
You wouldn't happen to have any screen shots? I sure would like to see that.

Currently do not have a SD card loaded up. It will humble you real quick, knowing just how many fish you can't catch. I juked a jig in ones face no less than 50 times to get her to eat it. Confidence in what you are seeing is just flat out crazy.

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: The Crappie Guy
I've got the same Helix 10/360 setup Kirk. It's taking me a little while to get it set up correctly (getting static out...which I've never had before), but I agree, it is a game changer thumb

I have RFI on my 959 that comes and goes. I wish I knew a answer for you, I just replaced the transducer and it did help but did not resolve the issue.
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 02:34 PM

Good looking toads Kirk...Thunder's been a lil quiet lately lol

Froggy style makes the big girls go WILD taz
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

I have RFI on my 959 that comes and goes. I wish I knew a answer for you, I just replaced the transducer and it did help but did not resolve the issue.

The only thing that I haven't tried so far is moving the magnetic antenna away from the unit and direct wiring straight to the starter battery. But even with the RFI...I love the set-up and being able to see things that I've never seen before.
Posted By: Phat Yak

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 06:43 PM

SheCrappieKilla - Be careful buying your wife stuff like that. My Dad tried that trick one time. He bought my Mom a new laptop for her birthday. She turned it around on him and bought him some jewelry for his birthday. Her jewelry cost more than the laptop. smile

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 07:33 PM

The only thing that I haven't tried so far is moving the magnetic antenna away from the unit and direct wiring straight to the starter battery. But even with the RFI...I love the set-up and being able to see things that I've never seen before.

I just ran a ground wire from Neg post on the TM batteries to the Neg post on the starting battery.

I will let you know.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 09:22 PM

I didn't think they could hide from you before!! roflmao

1.93! You musta had an off day or maybe felt sorry for em and gave em a scale pic for Christmas! I'm ready to snatch some slabs soon. About outta arrows!! fish
Posted By: SK.

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 09:30 PM

I'm waiting on the 360 to improve as I feel it could be a lot better before I draw my pistola's on it...however SI on the TM has helped me tremendously so I can only imaging the 360 is that much better.....
I also heartelit the live images are a lot better than a recorded image on the 360.....

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 10:19 PM

I just ran a ground wire from Neg post on the TM batteries to the Neg post on the starting battery.

I will let you know.

What's that supposed to do?

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 11:08 PM

Dave, I am not sure how it may help, I have tried every thing else recommended, it's a TM issue that interfers with my DI unit when I step on the power at the TM. My TM my be out dated???????

List below is from the HB web site.

Trolling motor manufacturers are able to produce a more efficient trolling motor relative to power management. In doing so, the motors sometimes introduce electrical noise into other electronics on the boat. This noise can be exhibited in several different ways:

Random targets/pixels on the display, when the trolling motor is in use.
Noise seen on the display, when the trolling motor is in use.
The Depth Sounder turns off, when the trolling motor is in use.
The Depth Sounder will stop operating, the display seemingly freezing, and will not respond to any button/knob selections, when the trolling motor is in use.
Erratic depth readings when the trolling motor is in use.
Loss of depth readings when the trolling motor is in use
Below are some examples of what this interference might look like:

TMI-SI TMI-SI2
(click images to enlarge)

If you have a Minn Kota motor with US2 and you are a do-it-yourselfer, please follow these steps:

Step 1. Confirm the number of sonar units mounted on the boat – If more than one sonar unit (Humminbird or any other brand), are both units running sonar at the same time? If the answer is yes, turn the sonar off of the unit that is not on their trolling motor. Does this solve the problem? If yes, this is sonar to sonar interference. There is nothing that can be done about this other than to only run one sonar unit at a time. Some models/software versions have the ability to tap the power button and a screen will pop up showing Sonar, Light and Background Menus. From the Sonar menu, you can turn Sonar off by using your left cursor button. When you are ready to turn the sonar back on you just tap the power button and right cursor to turn it back on. If the answer to either of the above questions is no, then please continue to Step 2.
Step 2. Update Software, Adjust Filter Settings - Always make sure that you have the most up to date software installed in your Humminbird depth finder. Go to www.humminbird.com to login and download the software for your depth finder. You can also try adjusting your depth finders Noise Filter to attempt to decrease the interference, adjusting the Sensitivity may also help. If you have more than one transducer make sure only one is in use. Using two transducers at the same time could cause interference.
Step 3. Check US2 Fuse and Connections - Check the connections on the Universal Sonar 2 Adapter Cable (MKR-US2-8) connecting the trolling motor transducer cable to the depth finder. There is also a transducer cable connection located in the control box under the top cover. Even though the two ends are connected, they MUST be screwed tightly together to eliminate interference. Ensure that the knurled ends are tight. US2 models also have a brown ground wire with a mini 3 amp fuse, if this fuse is blown then this could be the cause of the interference. The fuse should be tested with a digital V.O.M. Replace the fuse, if needed and retest.

Fuse location inside Motor HeadMotorFuse

US2 Cable inside motor headUSCableConnections

External US2 Cable the hooks up your unit adapter US2Connection2

All 2013 and newer Minn Kota 24 & 36 volt freshwater trolling motors will include a factory installed fused ground wire. Note: If this fuse is blown, a circuit loop is being completed through the ground wire. This indicates that an improper power connection is being made to either the motor or depth finder. This improper connection must be located and corrected to prevent a circuit loop and further interference issues.

Step 4. Check wiring - Make sure the deep cycle/trolling motor batteries are not linked to the Cranking Battery. Disconnect chargers, Perko switches, and anything else that may link the two sets of batteries. Try to keep the depth finder power cable away from the trolling motor power cable when rigging. It is also recommended that the excess length of power and transducer cables not be coiled. If you find that interference is still present then you might try using a separate small 12 volt battery to power the depth finder and retest.
Step 5. *Add Chokes - If the interference is still present then you may need to add the Humminbird PC-11 Power Cable (if it did not come with your unit) and the US2 Ferrite Ring (470085-1). If your trolling motor is a PowerDrive V2 or Terrova model you can also add the Ferrite Bead (2887313) to the positive and negative motor output leads on the coil cord closest to the control board. *All 2013 Terrova and PowerDrive V2 models will include a factory installed Ferrite Bead. All Humminbird Side Imaging units have come with the PC 11 for several years and most Down Imaging units are being packed with the cable as of March 1, 2013.
Step 6. Contact Us - If you have tried all of the above steps and are still experiencing interference please contact our customer service department directly at 800-633-1468 or by clicking here to email us.

If you have a Minn Kota motor that is Non-US2 and you are a do-it-yourselfer please follow these steps:

Step 1. Confirm the number of sonar units mounted on the boat – If more than one sonar unit (Humminbird or any other brand), are both units running sonar at the same time? If the answer is yes, turn the sonar off of the unit that is not on their trolling motor. Does this solve the problem? If yes, this is sonar to sonar interference. There is nothing that can be done about this other than to only run one sonar unit at a time. Some models/software versions have the ability to tap the power button and a screen will pop up showing Sonar, Light and Background Menus. From the Sonar menu, you can turn Sonar off by using your left cursor button. When you are ready to turn the sonar back on you just tap the power button and right cursor to turn it back on. If the answer to either of the above questions is no, then please continue to Step 2.
Step 2. Update Software, Adjust Filter Settings - Always make sure that you have the most up to date software installed in your Humminbird depth finder. Go to www.humminbird.com to login and download the software for your depth finder. You can also try adjusting your depth finders Noise Filter to attempt to decrease the interference, adjusting the Sensitivity may also help. If you have more than one transducer make sure only one is in use. Using two transducers at the same time could cause interference.
Step 3. Add Ground Wire - Adding an external ground wire from the Minn Kota lower unit to the trolling motor battery negative/ground and depth finder battery negative/ground will help prevent interference. This can be done externally by scraping a small amount of paint from the lower unit just behind the external transducer clamp. Attach an 18 gauge wire to the bare spot under the clamp then run the wire up the trolling motor shaft with the transducer wire. Connect this end of the wire to trolling motor battery negative/ground and to the depth finder battery negative battery ground. Experiment with disconnecting trolling motor ground and depth finder ground one connection at a time to determine the connections that result in the least amount of interference.

*All 2013 Minn Kota 24 & 36 volt freshwater trolling motors will include a factory installed fused ground wire. Note: If this fuse is blown a circuit loop is being completed through the ground wire. This indicates that an improper power connection is being made to either the motor or depth finder. This improper connection must be located and corrected to prevent a circuit loop and further interference issues. Note: Do NOT run the external transducer wire down the cable jacket to the foot pedal. It should be routed along the mount.

Step 4. Check wiring - Try to keep the depth finder power cable away from the trolling motor power cable when rigging. It is also recommended that the excess length of power or transducer cables not be coiled. If you find that interference is still present then you might try using a separate small 12 volt battery to power the depth finder and retest.
Step 5. Add Chokes - If the interference is still present then you may need to add the Humminbird PC-11 Power Cable and the US2 Ferrite Ring (470085-1). If your trolling motor is a PowerDrive V2 or Terrova model you can also add the Ferrite Bead (2887313) to the positive and negative motor output leads on the coil cord closest to the control board. *All 2013 Terrova and PowerDrive V2 models will include a factory installed Ferrite Bead.
Step 6. Contact Us or your nearest Minn Kota ASC - If you have tried all of the above steps and are still experiencing interference please contact our customer service department directly at 800-633-1468 or by clicking here to email us.

Follow the steps provided below to confirm and reduce this interference on other brands of trolling motors if you are a do-it-yourselfer:

Step 1. Power the Depth Sounder on in the Start Up mode (normal on the water operational mode) with no other equipment or motors running. Confirm that the interference is being produced by the trolling motor by establishing that the interference only happens when the trolling motor is used. Some trolling motors may only produce interference when used at certain speeds, so test at as many speeds as possible.

Step2. Once trolling motor interference has been confirmed, you may need to adjust your power connection to the battery as follows: For boats that have a 24-volt or 36-volt trolling motor, confirm that the depth sounder is powered off the boat’s cranking battery.

Step 3. In those Humminbird products that have a Noise Filter in the Advanced Sonar Menu, confirm that this is turned ON.

Step 4. You can connect a light gauge wire (18 gauge is acceptable) from the negative post of the trolling motor battery to the negative post of the engine's cranking battery. It is recommended that you install a 1 or 2 amp inline fuse in this ground wire. If the interference is still present, check the routing of the depth finder and trolling motor battery leads. If they run parallel to each other for any length of distance, separate the leads as much as possible or run the leads to the trolling motor and depth finder on opposite sides of the boat. If interference persists, check the mounting location of the transducer. If it is mounted external on the motor's lower unit, try temporarily moving it away from the lower unit while operating the motor. If the interference is reduced or eliminated during this exercise, you should try to reduce the RF interference by taking a ground wire and connecting it to the trolling motor lower unit. Grounding the motor case creates a sheild between the motor brushes and the transducer, trapping or shunting the RFI to the ground.

To ground the motor case externally, drill a small diameter (1/8") hole in the motor skeg. Attach one end of the ground wire at this point by using a self tapping stainless steell screw and run 18 gauge wire up the motor shaft along with the transducer cable. Connect the other end of the ground wire to the Humminbird unit's negative battery lead or post.

If you have a side imaging or down imaging product and the above suggestions do not reduce the interference; contact our Customer Service Department with the below information:

1. If you have a unit with a card reader and image capture capabilities, it would be helpful to email us a Screen Snapshot showing what the fishfinder display looks like with the trolling motor running and while it is in the off position.

2. Be in a position to tell the representative if the interference you are experiencing is occurring on traditional sonar, down looking sonar or side imaging sonar (if your model is a side imaging unit) or on all types of sonar.

3. Be able to provide us with the complete fishfinder-related setup on the boat such as:

* What is the serial number of your Humminbird unit?
* Which Fishfinder models are installed on the boat?
* Where are the transducers located for each unit?
* What trolling motor Brand and model is on the boat?
* If you have two GPS capable Humminbird fishfinders on the boat are you using either an Interlink or Systemlink to network GPS receivers on the boat, etc?

If you are not a do-it-yourselfer, you should try to contact your motor manufacturers closest ASC.

Here is a brief video on this topic.

Customer Service
Toll Free: 1-800-633-1468
service@humminbird.com

BACK TO SEARCH RESULTS

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 11:14 PM

I may have to try that also. I definitely get RFI on my unit at the trolling motor. It's not always the same amount, but it's always there. Beautiful picture until the trolling motor kicks on. I'm running an xi5, so it's always on if I have it on spot lock. Let us know if that helps.

That's probably the main reason I haven't caught 2-300 two pounders this year. Once I get that squared away, watch out.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 11:26 PM

1. Talk to Neville at the trolling motor shop at the Minnow Bucket if you have a Minnkota. He may have a fix for you..internal to the motor.

2. I have a Motorguide, an I install a wire from the trolling motor skeg (self tapping screw and ring terminal), up the shaft, and to the negative terminal on the female end of the trolling motor plug (ring terminal). I have done this on all my trolling motors and have done a bunch for friends and it solves most all interference issues.

Gman

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 11:39 PM

Gman, can you post some pics of what you did to the motorguide?

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
1. Talk to Neville at the trolling motor shop at the Minnow Bucket if you have a Minnkota. He may have a fix for you..internal to the motor.

2. I have a Motorguide, an I install a wire from the trolling motor skeg (self tapping screw and ring terminal), up the shaft, and to the negative terminal on the female end of the trolling motor plug (ring terminal). I have done this on all my trolling motors and have done a bunch for friends and it solves most all interference issues.

Gman

Yep know him well, I have stopped by and left him a VM. He's on his winter hours. He's good at what he does, repaired mine several times.

I don't have mine grounded that way anymore, the skag ground wire now runs to the units ground wire.

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/22/15 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Davedave
I may have to try that also. I definitely get RFI on my unit at the trolling motor. It's not always the same amount, but it's always there. Beautiful picture until the trolling motor kicks on. I'm running an xi5, so it's always on if I have it on spot lock. Let us know if that helps.

That's probably the main reason I haven't caught 2-300 two pounders this year. Once I get that squared away, watch out.

I hear ya, if I could only see what I was doing.

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/23/15 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Davedave

I hear ya, if I could only see what I was doing.

On second thought, if you can do that well with interference, maybe I should leave mine alone.

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/23/15 12:37 AM

No need to run a screw into the skeg. If you have the ring clamp/C clamp/hose clamp that secures the transducer to the motor simply loosen it, scrape off the paint in a spot down to the metal, strip the end of the wire you connected to the ground wire in the head of the trolling motor and have running down the shaft. Put the bare wire end between the clamp for the transducer and re secure it with the clamp pinching the wire and holding it in place. Motor is now grounded better than factory spec'.

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/23/15 12:58 AM

Now you tell me, I am going to try that also.

Thanks David.

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/23/15 01:45 AM

Thanks David.

Sorry Kirk,

Thought I had sent you this before.

I'll shoot you an email.

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/23/15 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Thanks David.

Sorry Kirk,

Thought I had sent you this before.

I'll shoot you an email.

No sir. That guy has caught 16,000 2 pound crappie this year. Help me.

Just kidding. I may give you a call next week to ask you a little more about this.
Posted By: HOGON

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/23/15 02:52 AM

Great job those are some good looking fish. Mom and Dad were out there today...they finished with a dozen before the wind blew them off the lake. I'm in Buffalo, NY it is 52 and raining with no snow. Breaking all sorts of records. I'll be back in Texas tomorrow. There is no place like home.

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/23/15 10:05 PM

Well connecting the Neg to the Neg's made the RFI worse.

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/23/15 10:22 PM

You be snake bit. I installed mine today and every thing works perfectly. TM running pic is clear. Now you just need to sende a few of your favorite cords and I'll go drop a frog.

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/23/15 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: keyboard
You be snake bit. I installed mine today and every thing works perfectly. TM running pic is clear. Now you just need to sende a few of your favorite cords and I'll go drop a frog.

Larry its on my old unit, my new unit can see fish on TWok while I am fishing another lake. Ha.

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/24/15 12:13 AM

You been hanging out with Darrell too much, there ain't no fish in Twak.

Re: They can run but they can't hide anymore - 12/24/15 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: keyboard
You been hanging out with Darrell too much, there ain't no fish in Twak.
hey hey I resemble that remark.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum