Texas Fishing Forum

I do not understand Crappie fisherman

Posted By: Ranger1

I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 03:55 PM

Let me start out by saying I do more bass fishing then anything. And I am not wanting to start anything here, If I wanted to start anything it would have been yesterday on the water. But I am curious how it all got started that people (Crappie guys) feel they are intitled almost that they can pull up to another boat within 5-7 feet of another that is crappie fishing. This is mind boggling to me. Anyone that has been fishing long knows this does not and will not be tolerated while bass fishing, so what makes it different crappie fishing? I am curious. Maybe the more I crappie fish I may have to adjust and just accept it as a norm, I personally would not do it to someone I do not know, because I believe it is disrespectful and wrong.
27,000+ acres on Fork fishing with no one in site and then Boom two or three boats come within less then 10 feet from you...Mind boggling to say the least.
Posted By: crappieking95

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 04:05 PM

I don't think it's right to say crappie fisherman in general.. Because that could've been a bass fisherman going for crappie that one day. Or could've been a cat-fisherman going for crappie, you never know... Its not right to throw all crappie fisherman under the bus just because of one bad apple.

Now to answer your question no I don't think it was right, but hey I don't care what fish you target. You will always run into someone like that..
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 04:22 PM

That is not something that would be cool with me either if I didnt know them. It happens no matter the kind of fish you go for. I don't understand bass fisherman myself LOL.
Posted By: SK.

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 04:54 PM

I deal with'em all the time, they are called "bent pole fisherman" those bent poles draw'em in like you wouldn't believe....
Some will soon call your spots their spots & will look at you crazy if they see you fishing in your spot that they have claimed...
Happens all tha time, dint y'all know...LOL
Posted By: HOGON

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 04:56 PM

Yeah, I hear ya Ranger. Everyone trying to fish the same brush pile or hump or whatever. It seems to happen a lot during the winter on Fork down by the Dam and the points.

I have not been to LOP but I heard it can be 10 times the amount of boats than Fork. I heard on LOP guys are so close you can literally shake hands.

I really don't know what the etiquette is exactly.

My Dad, Mom, and I fish exclusively for Crappie and we are pretty much used to it.

I don't necessarily agree, but it seems to happen a lot. If we are going to a brush pile or certain spot and it's occupied we go somewhere else and come back later after its empty.

During the winter off the points and by the Dam you will have a lot of boats in your vicinity. I think 5-7 feet is ridiculous and I personally try to keep a couple boat lengths or better.

I do remember this one time on Tawokini there was a spot that had some logs or lay downs down by the dam. If you fished near those logs or lay downs you could catch a 2 man limit if the Crappie were there that day. Every day was different. Well this particular day a bunch of boats were down at the Dam getting ready for a Crappie Tournament. The sun was out and it was just beautiful and because of the up and coming tournament we expected there to be a few more boats. The spot which had the lay downs had a couple guys spider rigging on it so my Dad and I just fished other areas in the vicinity that also had structure. These guys spider rigging would hook up anytime they were near the lay downs but if you got more than 2-3 feet off you were fishing in no mans land. I honestly don't think they knew the lay downs were there. Well eventually they were a good 4 boat lengths up the damn so my Dad and I slid over to the lay downs and the Crappie were there. Well dumping a marker makes it a lot easier for my Dad to stay right where he wanted to. We would throw a marker and then just do 360's around the marker. We started hammering the fish! Every drop within seconds we were hooked up to a fish. We were putting on a catching clinic.

What I did not think would happen despite all the boat traffic was that within 5 minutes we had at least 4 boats right up on our marker practically rubbing boats. I knew what they were doing and my Dad and I thought it was pretty rude. We picked up our marker and left.

If we see a boat fishing somewhere we have not fished and they are doing well. We just wait till they leave then we go look to see if we can see what was holding the fish. We certainly don't go up and rub paint so we can mark their spot. To me half the fun is looking for new stuff anyway.

When it comes to Crappie fishing especially in the winter you will have boats bunched up and close but again in my opinion 5-7 feet is too close. Others may see it differently.

Like I said at LOP I heard there will be 150-200 boats and guys are so close they can shake hands.

Now, we have been doing really well in a spot and someone else that was in the vicinity was doing nothing. We have invited them over and told them what we were doing and helped put them on some fish. We have also been the ones not doing anything and had other boats invite us over as well to help put us on some fish.

We will be catching Crappie and see a boat not doing as well. My Dad and I on numerous occasions will grab some jig heads or a certain plastic or whatever we are using and we will go up to them show them exactly what we are doing and how we are rigged up. Then we will give them some of our baits. We like helping others because when we first started we did not know squat about Crappie fishing. It is no fun being the NEW GUY.

In general I believe the majority of Crappie fisherman are extremely friendly and most do try to be polite on the water with regards to fishing a certain hole or hump or whatever. But there always seems to be those few anglers that don't have a clue. Like you said 27,000 acres to fish and just like that day on Tawokini rather than get in a pissing contest and despite us being their first it just was not worth the argument.

We defused it and left.

I'm sure others will chime in with their own opinions but that is my take on it. Sorry that happened to you yesterday.

Merry Christmas Everyone.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 05:27 PM

I personally don't have a problem with this while crappie fishing, especially when the fish are on their winter pattern. More than enough fish for everyone and the conversation is great. Just be courteous and ask...most have no problem with moving closer. Life's too short and fishing is too good to get upset...just have fun and help another angler.

Gman
Posted By: donothin

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 06:00 PM

Or why bass fisherman fly by going 60 mph with no regard to the guy anchored and fishing, or go around a blind corner going way faster than is sane.
Posted By: DavisGuideService

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 06:02 PM

Ive had this happen to me a couple times and its very rude, I was taught to keep your distance when fishing. bridge fishing is the only exception in my opinion.
Posted By: sapalmer

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
I personally don't have a problem with this while crappie fishing, especially when the fish are on their winter pattern. More than enough fish for everyone and the conversation is great. Just be courteous and ask...most have no problem with moving closer. Life's too short and fishing is too good to get upset...just have fun and help another angler.

Gman

I agree. I enjoy the conversation. Sometimes they might have some good info on some spots too.

Boomer.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 06:41 PM

Unfortunately, lack of respect has increased too much among people in general.

That's why I've had bass fishermen come flying by at 60 mph within casting distance of my boat. Or the guys that went between my boat and the bank I was casting too with their big engine idling and when I said something about lack of sportsmanship, the reply was, "we're fishing a tournament." Or the guys that bird dog any boat that is catching white bass and come up on plane and shut down with enough speed to drift into your boat. Too many people with the attitude that "it's all about me."

However, I'm encouraged that fishermen in general are a great group of people who do respect their fellow man.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 06:43 PM

To me the bass guys are the worst. There's just something juvenile about their WOT/Off mentality and that they don't care who's day they mess up with their big outboards and boat wake. It's all about them.

Several years ago, we had a couple of bass guys up in a corner of our marina. We asked them not to fish there and explained that we had some environmentally sensitive stuff under water, fuel, sewer, and electric service. They proceeded to ignore us like it was their lake and kept on fishing. They didn't leave until I told them I was going inside to call the Sheriff and was going to file trespassing charges on them. That seemed to be the only thing they understood and they left. Never had much use for bass fishermen after that.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 07:11 PM

If you don't care for company then you might not like LOP here in a few weeks. I still enjoy bass fishing and have met some other really nice bass fishermen, but to be honest I've had more trouble with tournament bass fishermen than anyone else on the lake. All you can do is control your actions and be polite to others. No fish is worth a confrontation. When I feel like I'm getting to close to another fisherman I'll ask them and I always appreciate a fellow angler asking me. Really, it's just a fish! fish
Posted By: crappiegetter

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 07:18 PM

Just wondering what could the Sheriff have done ?? If there on the Water ?? unless there tied off how are they trespassing ? confused
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 07:25 PM

I don't do crowds, if I'm on fish or a good brushpile, when they are a 100 yards away, I pick up my marker and move on. Those fish aren't going anywhere & will be there later on in the week.

The boats that bother me are the ones that crank up & follow you across the lake & then set up like they are going to fish. After a few rides across the lake they wiil finally get the idea & move on.
Posted By: Lovfldx

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 07:31 PM

Guess you guys have never been in a white bass "boat show", or a striper run on Texoma, where boats use anchor ropes to tie up to one another so they can stay on a school of stripers. happens all the time. No one bitches. Crappie are school fish so when they congregate, they also do so in some large numbers. Granted, 5-7 ft might be a bit close, but if you have ever been to White Rock Creek this time of yr, you see folks shoulder to shoulder on both sides of a 20 ft deep hole in a bend, and virtually every one is catching fish, and yes there are a few crossed lines from time to time, but somehow the Republic has managed to survive in spite of it.

It happens. Big deal.

Rudy

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 07:56 PM

Wide open throttles are good in some cases, it's that half throttle'er that throws the biggest wake....I don't think you can name a person that fish for a certain species as any worst than another...there are stupid boat owners that fish for all species not to mention those good for nothing wake boats now I'll agree that most of those owners don't have a clue but at least they don't follow "tha bent poles"......
Posted By: Aquiles

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 08:06 PM

I don't believe it s crappie fisherman thing either I was watching a bass fishing competition on WFN and one bass fisherman did that to another and the first guy told him off they actually had to bleep out his comment . I never would have thought to see that on a bass fishing show but there it was . I was at White Rock once and it was so packed that I saw one guy actually go and squat between two other guys that were standing so he could sling shot his lure between them. I wish there were some way to educate them on the manners but I believe there will always be some that are all about "Me"
Posted By: larry mays

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 08:08 PM

I think most of the time its where you fish that causes this. If you fish in the boat lanes the boats will be going faster and its the same with bridges, deep water in the dam area, in the spring it can be 2 feet of water. I don't fish for schooling fish so I don't have much trouble with this. But they have all ways been some that don't know how to get alone with people and my guess is they are the same way where they live. I fish some almost ever day and keep maybe 4-5 a week so fishing for large fish is the fun way, where I fish is the water most crappie fishermen past over.
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 08:21 PM

I must be fishing on the wrong lake, haven't seen a crappie fisherman within a mile all winter but a time or two.

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 08:25 PM

Bass fisherman can do no wrong. The lake was built for them and the jet skiers.
Posted By: Sully79

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 08:36 PM

popcorn

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 08:49 PM

Some of you guys need to stay focused on the OP. This has absolutely nothing to do with Bass Fisherman. They have their issues, Nor does it have anything to do with how fast people drive their boats. Focus people. I was asking why do people that crappie fish feel they are somewhat intitled to bunch up real tight while fishing? Pretty simple question. At least for some anyways.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 08:59 PM

Fork in winter is like Mardi Gras. I wouldn't compare the boat show there this time of year to crappie fisherman in general. If you don't want people around you toss an orange bouy out about 100yds from you and watch it attract boats like moths to a porch light. That's what I do if I fish Fork in winter and don't want people on top of me.
Posted By: DavisGuideService

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Slewfoot
Fork in winter is like Mardi Gras. I wouldn't compare the boat show there this time of year to crappie fisherman in general. If you don't want people around you toss an orange bouy out about 100yds from you and watch it attract boats like moths to a porch light. That's what I do if I fish Fork in winter and don't want people on top of me.

I like your way of thinking slew

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranger1
Some of you guys need to stay focused on the OP. This has absolutely nothing to do with Bass Fisherman. They have their issues, Nor does it have anything to do with how fast people drive their boats. Focus people. I was asking why do people that crappie fish feel they are somewhat intitled to bunch up real tight while fishing? Pretty simple question. At least for some anyways.

Because crappie fisherman are laid back and easy going......
Posted By: Knot Normal

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 10:26 PM

I don't think crappie fishermen have a monopoly on rude and unsportsman like behavior.

That's like saying all Americans are fat and lazy. There are rude people everywhere. I was fishing a brush pile this summer and hooked a nine pound bass on a perch rod , While I was landing it, an old fart in a bass boat moved in and started casting and marking my spot on his machine. All the wile asking me how I got it hooked and landed with my perch hook and line.

Some people are just rude and impolite. No fishing style has a monopoly on rudness.
Posted By: Bud B

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 10:52 PM

If we are fishing vertically, sometimes we get used to fishing in close quarters. The 155 Palestine bridge can get so crowded in the winter that everyone is close to someone else. With that in mind, on my only trip to Palestine this fall, I pulled up to a row of bridge pilings on the opposite side of where another boat was fishing. He cut through the middle of the pilings to cut me off, and proceeded to cuss me up one side and down the other. I just moved on. Most of us crappie fishermen don't mind someone close, but some are like you, and get all kinds of upset about it.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/20/15 10:53 PM

I would say that crappie fishermen fish closer together because they drop straight down vs a 70 yard radius. Bass guys will fish just as close to each other but take in account of the casting distance.

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 12:04 AM

Rude is rude, sorta tha same subjects op.....
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 12:39 AM

roflmao
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: fishin'aholic2
That is not something that would be cool with me either if I didnt know them. It happens no matter the kind of fish you go for. I don't understand bass fisherman myself LOL.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 01:22 AM

The crappie fisherman are by far the nicest group on this forum and usually on the water as well. Don't be attacking a group of people because of one specific fisherman. Suck it up and move to another spot if you don't like it. It's public water and they aren't breaking any laws unless they are fishing a tournament. Bass guys cut me off all of the time and cast their lure within a couple feet of my boat when I am where they want to fish. You don't see me complaining in the bass fishing section though.

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
The crappie fisherman are by far the nicest group on this forum and usually on the water as well. Don't be attacking a group of people because of one specific fisherman. Suck it up and move to another spot if you don't like it. It's public water and they aren't breaking any laws unless they are fishing a tournament. Bass guys cut me off all of the time and cast their lure within a couple feet of my boat when I am where they want to fish. You don't see me complaining in the bass fishing section though.

You must of been one of them that wanted to see what color my carpet was in my boat.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 02:13 AM

I don't usually get close to other boats but if someone gets close to me and they are crappie fishing so be it. I take that back. I do get close to other boats/crappie fisherman during the winter time fishing. They do not seem to mind just like I don't mind. True crappie fisherman (dedicated) understand each other. It is the Jet fleas and wake boats and times the bass fisherman that make me shake my head.
Posted By: have_rod_reel_travel

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 02:30 AM

Multi species fishermen rule, we don't waste time with labels! The crappie gang vs the bass gang, race boats at the dam for pink slips to settle this....
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 03:52 AM

I think its just a culture, A behavioral pattern if you will.accepted by a group of like minded folks. Many times our women and children are with us and its just like one big family. The folks in that flotilla of boats you see may have been fishing around each other for years. On a big wide open body of water people learn from each other or by themselves where the structure is and where the crappie stack up, and these become community holes. Now just like anything, there are unwritten rules and lines you dont cross, But as a whole Id like to think we are more trusting,accepting,and willing to give a little space and grace to others around us. Heck Maby we just got more class.
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 03:58 AM

12' poles off each side of the boat keeps em further away
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 11:37 AM

Lest we forget...We are out there for our enjoyment. Overlook the petty stuff..in the end it don't mean a hill of beans at the end of the day. Everyone out there wants to catch fish, and at this time of year, there are plenty to go around. Some spots will be better on a particular day but its ever evolving. Give another angler a hands up. At the end of the day, you'll come much less fatigued and maybe meet a new friend.

I think crappie fisherman are a special breed...some of the finest folks on the water.
Posted By: papamark

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 11:59 AM

I am so glad I am retired and can fish during the week - woot
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 01:16 PM

I'm a crappie fisherman and I too don't care for guys that get too close to me, and if I'm fishing my buoy, I'll tell you if I think you're too close. Conversely, I will never get too close to another boat, and would be embarrassed if I did.

I was at the dam at Fork Saturday and saw a 'pack' of about 6-8 bass boats fishing one spot out there. I idled past them and didn't see a one of them catch a fish. I went on down the dam, found some structure that had fish on it and proceeded to catch several 2#+ fish. Point here is...packs of boats don't always mean fish. And IMO it generally means folks that either can't or don't want to try to fish their own fish. So I won't bother you and you don't bother me and we'll all be friends. Merry Christmas everyone and have a safe New Year.
Posted By: Davedave

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 02:15 PM

I like crappie, and almost all crappie fishermen.
Posted By: etexbasser

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: TroyKing
I think its just a culture, A behavioral pattern if you will.accepted by a group of like minded folks. Many times our women and children are with us and its just like one big family. The folks in that flotilla of boats you see may have been fishing around each other for years. On a big wide open body of water people learn from each other or by themselves where the structure is and where the crappie stack up, and these become community holes. Now just like anything, there are unwritten rules and lines you dont cross, But as a whole Id like to think we are more trusting,accepting,and willing to give a little space and grace to others around us. Heck Maby we just got more class.

This. I like it because I get to meet other fisherman and make new friends, and maybe learn something or share something with someone else. I ask before I pull up, and hopefully you will too. My grandkids love to crappie fish also.
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 04:55 PM

The vast majority of my encounters with other fisherman, whether they be crappie or bass, have been positive. The negative ones tend to stick out, but I've noticed those are almost always people fishing, not fishermen who are serious about their craft.

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnButte
The vast majority of my encounters with other fisherman, whether they be crappie or bass, have been positive. The negative ones tend to stick out, but I've noticed those are almost always people fishing, not fishermen who are serious about their craft.
thumb thumb thumb
Posted By: crappiedaze

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 06:09 PM

This is why I always keep a slap tied on to one of my rods. I crappie fish brush piles most of the time and if someone gets too close, I switch to casting for sandbass. Under their boat!! They usually get the message the first or second time I bounce that heavy slab off of their hull. If not, I aim higher!
I actually had one guy come close to my boat and say he was just gonna tie to my anchor. I said go ahead, but as soon as you do, Im cranking the moter and draggin your [censored] back to the marina! whip
Posted By: Mo

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 06:22 PM

Attack a group of people and expect them to stay on topic ? Really ? smile You may have started
this thread , you don't own it or control it, ,

by the way I don't understand ditch pickle fisherman. smile

MO
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 06:44 PM

To whom it may concern this is just my opinion and with that being said there is a saying about opinions that I`m sure most people have heard at one time or another. "Opinions are like A$$ H---s Everybody has one" Here is mine. Bass are mostly solitary predators which means for the most part they hunt alone. Especially the large Trophy one`s that the serious Bass Anglers or even the weekend angler target be it in tournaments or not. Very seldom does the Bass angler abide a lot of company in his trek for this predator fish.It`s a culture. He, just like his prey, is also a PREDATOR!The Crappie, unlike the Bass is more social and community oriented.If you find one more than likely you will find another because they school.They can be very difficult to harvest at times and since they provide excellent table fare ,and most anglers that target them are doing so for consumption,rather than for the Trophy shelf,they are more willing to be community oriented and social aswell with one another.So it`s a culture for Crappie anglers more than Bass Anglers to fellowship on the water and exchange methods with one another, albeit even in close proximity sometimes,to catch this very unpredictable creature because it`s to serve a means to an end..... the Dinner Table/Fish Fry`s to feed families & Friends!I`m sure some folks eat Bass(I don`t)but most fish fry`s I`ve experienced didn`t include large Mouth Bass.It use to be a time when people in the community would come together and exchange info to Harvest the Crappie when I was little & Now not so much but there is still a culture among Crappie anglers to be more social than the Bass angler.The Crappie are social so the Crappie Angler is social as well.This is just my opinion. 2cents
Posted By: RODS454

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 07:19 PM

Well said Horace, and you left out the last part of that saying.
"and they all stink!" LOL
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: RODS454
Well said Horace, and you left out the last part of that saying.
"and they all stink!" LOL
roflmao roflmao
Posted By: Mesquite Mark

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob Landry
To me the bass guys are the worst. There's just something juvenile about their WOT/Off mentality and that they don't care who's day they mess up with their big outboards and boat wake. It's all about them.

Several years ago, we had a couple of bass guys up in a corner of our marina. We asked them not to fish there and explained that we had some environmentally sensitive stuff under water, fuel, sewer, and electric service. They proceeded to ignore us like it was their lake and kept on fishing. They didn't leave until I told them I was going inside to call the Sheriff and was going to file trespassing charges on them. That seemed to be the only thing they understood and they left. Never had much use for bass fishermen after that.
"They proceeded to ignore us like it was their lake and kept on fishing" It's everybody's lake. And if you were harassing them they actually had the right to call the Game Warden or Sheriff on you. It's not the fisherman fault someone installed stuff underwater in a public waterway.
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 07:38 PM

Guy & I saw Ranger1 and the crowd around him on Saturday.

I've experienced "Bent-Rod-itus" on many occasion and have been shocked out how brazen some guys are concerning marking spots.
Posted By: Tommy Ezell

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnButte

+1

I did hot foot Mr. Ray Hubbard one day tho after he told me to get the %@$#! off his brush pile that I actually dropped. Thought it funny till he tried to board my boat. Hot foot cooled him off tho. loco

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/21/15 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: tboxfish
"Bent-Rod-itus"

Hehehehahahahaaaaaa, hope ya don't mind me biting that...sound a lot better than "bent pole fisherman"....LOL
Posted By: Bruce Bullard

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/22/15 10:25 AM

I have fished close to other boat numerous times. Crappie fishing is generally vertical and a boat length can separate you between two or more major structures. Of course, more people that are fishing, the more room to give. The most important part is that I never get close to someone I don't know unless conversing, even then I don't fish until we have distance between boats.
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/22/15 03:04 PM

I don't like it if they are rude about it, but for instance I met a nice gentleman on Lonestar lake one day and we were both fishing by ourselves. We wound up fishing brush piles together and had a great conversation. He showed me some spots and I showed him some spots that he didn't know about. It wound up being a great day instead of getting mad about fishing too close to each other.

This time of year on fork and especially pines you goats expect it. That way you don't get wound up if it does. My son and I were on pines fishing in an area by ourselves. We started catching big ones and next thing you know there are 15 boats fishing right around us. They must have had binoculars. I try to go where people aren't on pines but if your pole bends get ready to have company. Just the way it is
Posted By: Jonathan_Zambrano

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/22/15 04:02 PM

I've only experienced Crappie fishermen on the docks and such never on boats but I have dealt with bass guys extensively (Green Carp convert here). All I can say is that like Fishbonz said Crappie fishermen fellowship a whole lot more than bass fishermen. Most bass guys I know hit the water solo almost always, the Crappie guys I know will usually have someone with them on their boat and fish. I have also noticed that Crappie fishermen are much more willing to share techniques and information than the other. I was actually quite shocked at the amount of information y'all share (pleasantly surprised actually). I know on the docks you may have 3 or 4 guys fishing in one slip, so I imagine that sense of community spills over into the open water. I enjoy the comradery within the Crappie community, and I thank y'all for that! Also Tommy you need to have me on the boat with you at all times, we can make sure folks don't try and board uninvited! roflmao

JZ
Posted By: kickingback

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/22/15 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman

Gman

Well said...I always strike up conversations with them first to see how they are. If they act like an A$$ I will turn up my radio the loudest it will go and they usually leave.
I have also approached others to see what is biting. If they invite me in then I thank them and share my knowledge I have. If they are quiet I move on and wish them luck and a good day. I come back to their spot once they leave so it does not matter.
Really think about it as if the lake is open 24 hours and in that lake there are certain structures that people know or maybe even put them out themselves. If you get to the lake and the spot is empty and you fish it do you wonder if someone just left that spot 15 minutes before you got there? I fish at night all the time and those same spots people fish in the day I fished all night and caught fish. I leave when they show up and they don't know any different.
The same as you when you go out. You never know if someone has been there lately and if someone is in a spot you want to fish come back later. If they are still there then talk to them nicely. They may invite you to stay or take the spot from them. It will make the difference.
But you are right about crappie guys are this way MORE than bass anglers. I have met MORE rude crappie guys than bass anglers in my time. I think it is an ego thing...They can't let go and help others without something in return. They especially hate giving out fishing spots. It's like pulling teeth and they think they "own" spots on a given lake. I love posting about spots they fish at often and they get real pissed and show their idiocy when they attack. I love it. As long as they keep complaining I will keep posting spots they fish at...just saying...
Posted By: Ruffneck2000

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/22/15 07:49 PM

I think all points well said guys good stuff, respect goes along way.

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/22/15 08:00 PM

Why can't Potlickers find their own fish? Is it lack of skill? Lazy? Or do they just want someone else to put all the time and effort in?

What happened to sportsmanship?

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/22/15 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: SheCrappieKilla
Why can't Potlickers find their own fish? Is it lack of skill? Lazy? Or do they just want someone else to put all the time and effort in?

What happened to sportsmanship?

Truth be told a wanna-be crappie fishermen that don't have any sportsmanship & has NOT put any time or effort into building/finding structure has zero respect & will post "spots" sometimes with gps cords on the www & then think it's perfectly fine....well it ain't, it's bad enough you're roaching yourself....then you wanna invite the world to what someone else has put the time in, yes they don't own it but they value it unlike the roach that has "Bent-Rod-itis" the spot he roached has zero value.....
I agree with ya Killa, some will never understand because it has no value to them.....LOL
Now if'n ya wanna post "spots" you yourself have put the time & effort into building that's your choice but to openly admit you're a roacher no it's not ok to post "spots"....dddaaahhhh
I share on the water with fisherman but turn my head in a heartbeat to a knucklehead & they ain't gonna turn no radio up where I'm feeshn, I guarantee ya that or we'll both be leaving that "spot"....
I love crappie fishn but it tends to draw some freak to your attention.....

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/23/15 07:22 PM

Hard to swalla I guess....LOL

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/23/15 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: silentkilla
Hard to swalla I guess....LOL

Some can't handle the truth, I guess.
Posted By: Wolfe Hunter

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/24/15 07:11 PM

I am a newbie to crappie fishing and do most of my fishing on docks. Without a doubt, crappie fisherman are the friendliest. I had one guy give me a jig he had made to help me catch crappie. No way a bass fisherman would do that. I too don't like rude people and avoid them like the plague, but it doesn't matter where youre at or what youre doing, there are rude people everywhere..
Posted By: chas1

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/24/15 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: donothin
Or why bass fisherman fly by going 60 mph with no regard to the guy anchored and fishing, or go around a blind corner going way faster than is sane.

I second, and I am a bass fisherman.

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/25/15 02:24 AM

Hell Crappie fisherman catch more 10 pound bass than bass fisherman ever do.....its a pain in the [censored].
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: I do not understand Crappie fisherman - 12/25/15 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: chas1
Originally Posted By: donothin

I second, and I am a bass fisherman.

Don't fish in the boat lane. Unless you want to get blown away!

You don't see homeless people building cardboard shelters on shoulders do you?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum