Texas Fishing Forum

welding rods for crappie fishing..?

Posted By: JIM SR.

welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/17/15 06:06 PM

has anyone ever used these ? I had a elderly gent that I know give me a couple of these all rigged up.
he explained how to use them, and how back in his day he used to whack'em in the deep brush.
Actually pretty cool how they work, just wondered if any of you guys have ever used these..? fish
Posted By: smak90

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/17/15 06:27 PM

I used them all the time in the 80's as a kid minnow fishing the creeks from a boat @ Lavon. We switched to jigs and I haven't used minnows or welding rods since. It really worked though because it allowed you to get that minnow into super thick brush and it keeps the minnow from tangling the line around that super thick brush. If I was using minnows in the creeks, I wouldn't hesitate to use those welding rods again. They allow you to get into places you could never drop a minnow otherwise.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/17/15 06:29 PM

I used them back in the day on the corp pile on Ray Roberts when the lake 1st opened. welding rod with a 1 or 2 ot hook for minnows. It worked well.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/17/15 07:44 PM

I'll probably regret this but, OK, I'll bite. Explain fishing with welding rods. I didn't even find that one on Google. peep

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/17/15 07:56 PM

I'll explain what I was told,..you take a welding rod; flatten and round the ends; drill small holes in the flattened rod end and attach small split rings to each end. attach a small swivel to the bottom end with a crappie hook, the hook attaches directly to the swivel. Tie the non swivel end to your line. It is supposed to be used to penetrate the thickest tree tops or brush. He says many years ago thas all he used, he gave me two of them...
Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/17/15 08:15 PM

Can you post a picture of this? Sounds interesting. confused

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/17/15 08:17 PM

I'll try..

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/17/15 09:08 PM

They use to have them for sale at the Dam Store on Ray Roberts and they where painted different colors....
Posted By: Aquiles

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/17/15 10:02 PM

Wow that is interested ! Would love to see that in action. Anyone still use these?

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/17/15 10:13 PM

Posted By: larry mays

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/17/15 10:27 PM

I have always had the worry of the fish seeing my line, this should tell me something.
Posted By: Carver

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/17/15 10:48 PM

I used them in the 60's when canoeing the east Texas rivers a lot and working brush and blowdowns. Never went hungry !
Posted By: duncotemall

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/17/15 10:58 PM

Fish the cedar trees with minnows for crappie and you'll wish you had one tied on.
So easy pulling them out versus without its not even fair..
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/17/15 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: larry mays
I have always had the worry of the fish seeing my line, this should tell me something.

For a good comparison, hang a jig on the welding rod and fish some place besides dense brush. When fishing those cedar trees, the welding rod sorta looks like another limb. Used them many yrs ago on Lewisville after the new lake filled and the brush was thick. That was minnow fishing back then.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/18/15 01:31 AM

take a welding rod and smash both ends flat with an anvil and ball peen hammer. drill a hole in the center of each smashed end and attach a small key ring to each end. thread a hook on one end, and tie the line on the other. rod acts as the weight.

Gman
Posted By: Ranger-188-2007

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/18/15 01:38 AM

I thought you was going to crank up the juice to it, like the old telephone trick!
Posted By: bush hog

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/18/15 01:44 AM

Just proves, you're never too old to learn. Got a shop full of welding rods and I know a good lake to try it on. Only one problem....WHAT'S A MINNOW? roflmao

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/18/15 02:26 AM

Thank you for the pics JIM SR. Can you feel the fish hit the minnow? Curious if you can feel the thump through the welding rod or how do you know when you have a hit?

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/18/15 02:29 AM

Havent used them yet,..I was told that you feel everything with the weight right above the hook,..we'll see over the holidays...

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/18/15 02:40 AM

Thank you. Looking forward to your report. thumb

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/18/15 03:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Joe Slab
Thank you for the pics JIM SR. Can you feel the fish hit the minnow? Curious if you can feel the thump through the welding rod or how do you know when you have a hit?

You feel the hit just as good with the rod. I never used it with a jig. Only a minnow. I would say it would be better with live bait vs a jig. Sure it would work well with a jig I suppose.
Posted By: cyclefish

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/18/15 03:58 AM

I need an illustration. The hook would still hang up right?
Posted By: mayor (crappiepete)

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/18/15 04:05 AM

Yep, they work!! Try them, crappie unable to get into the brush.
Posted By: machinist

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/18/15 04:27 AM

That's old school right there
Posted By: Aquiles

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/18/15 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By: bush hog
Just proves, you're never too old to learn. Got a shop full of welding rods and I know a good lake to try it on. Only one problem....WHAT'S A MINNOW? roflmao

Hey paint some up to makem look fancy and I see a money opportunity ! Lol!
Posted By: Mo

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/18/15 02:47 PM

It keeps your minnow from swimming around limbs . Fished with or without a bobber.
When lake Meredith came on line it had untold acres of flooded mesquite . These were the ticket to fishing heavy cover.

Mo
Posted By: bert

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/18/15 05:11 PM

When I was a kid my grandfather and I would build brush piles all summer and fish them with these all winter on Lake Whitney and Aquilla when it finally opened in the 80s. We used to weld o-rings on them so they would not open up and used the old cotton braid with them and rarely lost a rig and caught a ton of crappie with them. Nice thing is with the weight right on the hook if you do get hung up you just bounce them until the rod pops the hook loose do any repairs and get back to fishing.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/19/15 12:18 AM

How long is that, 15"s?

Re: welding rods for crappie fishing..? - 12/19/15 12:28 AM

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum