Texas Fishing Forum

Beware the bite at Fork

Posted By: Dutch1947

Beware the bite at Fork - 12/09/15 07:06 PM

We have been hitting Fork hard lately. Mainly because the ramps are closed on the other lakes we usually fish this time of year. We can always catch at least a one man limit that includes several Big Fish in the 2- 2.5 pound range. But to say the winter Bite is on at Fork is a bit of a stretch. The water temp is still just too warm (58-62 degrees). One more thing, from Dec1 - Jan 31 you have to keep every Crappie you catch on Fork. I hate it. I know the reason for it, but keeping a 3 inch Crappie really bugs me.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Zach Hughes

Re: Beware the bite at Fork - 12/09/15 11:46 PM

Ummmmmm ...... Today on Fork! And we didn't start until 2. Hopefully you have better luck next time sir.

They took home 57
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: Beware the bite at Fork - 12/10/15 12:16 AM

Dutch they must of been 3 of them in the boat.

Re: Beware the bite at Fork - 12/10/15 12:29 AM

Well of course there was
Posted By: HOGON

Re: Beware the bite at Fork - 12/10/15 12:38 AM

Zach nice looking fish glad you put your clients on some Crappie.

Can you catch some crappie on Fork right now? You bet you can. We put 50 in the boat last Tuesday. Put another 25 in the boat on Sunday with a nice mix of fish in regards to size. Several over 2 pounds.

In fact Fork is one of my favorite lakes to fish for Crappie.

I think all Dutch was trying to say is in his opinion the Winter Bite is not "ON" per se like when the water temp gets down in the low 50's. However, yes you can catch some nice Crappie right now for sure.

We wish nothing but full live wells and plentiful fishing for all our fellow anglers no matter whether they are fishing Fork or some other lake.

We will be down there tomorrow fishing with the whole family. I hope we can have some of the same good luck that you have been having for the last week or like we had last week.
Posted By: Chris H2Os

Re: Beware the bite at Fork - 12/10/15 12:39 AM

57 fish with 3 customers is a great trip. Good job.

Re: Beware the bite at Fork - 12/10/15 12:43 AM

I know Dutch is an unbelievable crappie fisherman. I just don't want Fork getting a bad name especially when people are bringing business to the lake. I apologize if I came across ugly. Sorry Dutch and I hope you know nothing personal sir I just try to make a living out on this old pond.

Re: Beware the bite at Fork - 12/10/15 12:56 AM

We have been catching them on Black Emerald Shiner from Thermocline Lures or Slab Bandit in Blue Boy or Bobby Garland Blue Thunder with a pink jig head. We dip the tails of the jig in Chartreuse Spike it and we have been fishing Double jigs. No Minnows. One Crank off the bottom. We caught most of our fish in the 28-32 foot range. We will try a little deeper tomorrow and see what happens. We are bringing Mom so we hope to get her into a mess of fish. Seeing the smile on her face is memories I will cherish forever.

Re: Beware the bite at Fork - 12/10/15 12:57 AM

Holy Cow Zach, my post was not in any way intended as a shot at you. I guess what I should have said was, I hate catching short fish and I can't wait till more of the big ones start stacking up. I am bringing my Wife and HOGON to Fork tomorrow. I hope we can do as well as you did today.
By the look of your cooler, you put your clients on nice size fish. Great Job!!!

Re: Beware the bite at Fork - 12/10/15 01:12 AM

I thought the limit was 50 crappie for 2 clients and a guide?

Or were there 3 clients?

Is 50 correct for 2?

Re: Beware the bite at Fork - 12/10/15 01:21 AM

You are absolutely right..... We had about 10 sandbass too. I'm sorry they took 40 something crappie home and a few sandbass.

I should have been more specific. Sorry

Re: Beware the bite at Fork - 12/10/15 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Zach Hughes
You are absolutely right..... We had about 10 sandbass too. I'm sorry they took 40 something crappie home and a few sandbass.

That's good to know that you are not a poacher.

Nice fish btw.
Posted By: crope1

Re: Beware the bite at Fork - 12/10/15 06:33 AM

Mr Dutch,i know you and Hogon catch fish,but my money is on Mrs Dutch! LOL!She normally catches the bigger ones.BOL to the family.
Originally Posted By: Dutch1947
Holy Cow Zach, my post was not in any way intended as a shot at you. I guess what I should have said was, I hate catching short fish and I can't wait till more of the big ones start stacking up. I am bringing my Wife and HOGON to Fork tomorrow. I hope we can do as well as you did today.
By the look of your cooler, you put your clients on nice size fish. Great Job!!!
Posted By: crope1

Re: Beware the bite at Fork - 12/10/15 06:34 AM

Zach,you using minnows?
Posted By: OkieBob

Re: Beware the bite at Fork - 12/10/15 02:44 PM

Them hogs don't have a chance with Dutch, Hogon and Momma in the boat, get the grease ready, they'll need it tonight for sure! What time is supper, Dutch?????

Re: Beware the bite at Fork - 12/11/15 12:56 AM

Well,

We were out on the water today and we definitely enjoyed the family time together. However, mother nature was not the most cooperative today for us anyway. The wind was bad and at a terrible direction for fishing all the spots we wanted to fish. The damn area was pretty much one of the few areas you could fish and it was a boat convention down there for the obvious reason above (Wind).

We managed 3 fish today one of them was 1.75, one was an 11 inch Crappie, and one 9 inch fish. I know without a doubt had we got to fish the areas we wanted to fish we would have ended up with a mess of fish. We put 50 in the boat last Tuesday and 25 on Sunday and then today 3.

I am sure someone put a nice mess of Crappie in the boat today, but today was just not our day.

A bad day of fishing still beats a day at work.

Hope someone got into them today. I am sore and feel like I have been beat with a baseball bat from head to toe.

My wife is making some spaghetti and it smells good.

Re: Beware the bite at Fork - 12/11/15 01:25 AM

Wind was just too much for our little boat. Oh and Janice did catch the biggest fish by far. That's just normal for her.

Re: Beware the bite at Fork - 12/11/15 01:39 AM

Thanks Dutch and Hogon for the report. I will keep an eye out for y'all tomorrow.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Beware the bite at Fork - 12/11/15 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Zach Hughes

Shoot I keep Big sandies and Barfish, I like the upper end barfish better than the crappie.. just like perch fillets to me, tastie... cheers Good Job Zeet.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum