Texas Fishing Forum

Best rod for shooting docks

Posted By: Macgruber

Best rod for shooting docks - 11/26/15 03:46 AM

Any suggestions on a rod length/ action/manufacturer for shooting docks?
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Best rod for shooting docks - 11/26/15 03:52 AM

Awe heck.. Here we go again!!
Posted By: Macgruber

Re: Best rod for shooting docks - 11/26/15 03:59 AM

Sorry!! I mainly bass fish and want to start crappie fishing in the spring. I've already got a 7'-6" spinning rod that has a light action(Dobyns dx762). Would that work?
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Best rod for shooting docks - 11/26/15 04:15 AM

You want something smaller for shooting docks. 4.5'-5'
Posted By: crope1

Re: Best rod for shooting docks - 11/26/15 10:10 AM

check out proanglertackle.com....I just recently knocked the dust of a 6' rhino rod and found out I could sling any jig quite a ways.Hope this helps.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Best rod for shooting docks - 11/26/15 12:12 PM

Being a bass fisherman you've probably done a lot of pitching. You can use that technique with your 7'6" rod and jig also but you won't be able to get the jig quite as far under the dock as you would shooting. Just so you'll know, crappie fishing is a bit more addictive than bass fishing....Good Luck.
Posted By: hung-up101

Re: Best rod for shooting docks - 11/26/15 12:32 PM

B N M Sharpshooters, 4.5 or 5 ft. tennessee handles.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Best rod for shooting docks - 11/26/15 01:33 PM

Being I don't get to shoot docks that much, I'm a total klutz for the first hour or so till I get the timing down. I've broken I don't know how many tips on rods over the years..till I found the short Ugly Stick rods. May not be as sensitive as some rods but they are tough as nails and shoot jigs just fine.

Gman
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Best rod for shooting docks - 11/26/15 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: hung-up101
B N M Sharpshooters, 4.5 or 5 ft. tennessee handles.

This one!
Posted By: Kylefield

Re: Best rod for shooting docks - 11/26/15 02:38 PM

I use a 7 foot bonehead. It allows me to shoot the jig farther back in the dock. Be careful, if you break the tip on the bonehead rod they will not send you a new one even if they say they will.
Posted By: Tommie

Re: Best rod for shooting docks - 11/26/15 02:40 PM

Pro Angler......4.5 up to 6.5. I have the 6.5' and it's a great dual purpose rod. Good for shooting jigs under docks and also good for fishing under bridges.
Posted By: txtider

Re: Best rod for shooting docks - 11/26/15 06:11 PM

I have tried about all there is to try . I do not like a super short rod 5 1/2 is the shortest I will use anything shorter just doesn't have the power to shoot a jig and fight a fish from under the dock for me but others I know like a shorter rod . It is a matter of opinion and preference . Hard to go wrong with bnm sharpshooter. Lane shot docks with a g force rod and felt every bite ! Which is amazing ! Normally I just see the line jump or stop fallin.
Posted By: Fab

Re: Best rod for shooting docks - 11/26/15 08:49 PM

The best info I ever got on selecting a doc shooting rod was by Mr. Skinner. He said to get a parabolic fishing rod. Parabolic in lay mans terms is the bend/arc goes through the entire length of the rod. With that you build up more potential energy as you load up the rod and can shoot your jig further.
That being said, choose a rod you are comfortable with as long as it is parabolic.
Some rods (shorter) work better in confined spaces like docks, some (longer) better in open spaces like under bridges.
You might get 2 rods, one for each situation or go with one that you feel comfortable with in both conditions.
Good luck.
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: Best rod for shooting docks - 11/27/15 12:20 AM

My best results come with BassPro's "Crappie Max" 5.5' light action. Don't like shorter and definately don't like ultra lite. Anything over 6' is a problem unless you're an expert.

As far as breaking tips, stay a bit farther from docks and bridges.
Posted By: Kylefield

Re: Best rod for shooting docks - 11/27/15 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: ERNEST PATY
My best results come with BassPro's "Crappie Max" 5.5' light action. Don't like shorter and definately don't like ultra lite. Anything over 6' is a problem unless you're an expert.

As far as breaking tips, stay a bit farther from docks and bridges.

Since Bonehead is one of the sponsors on you web site maybe you can get me a new tip. FYI, It wasn't broken shooting docks.
Posted By: Tommy Ezell

Re: Best rod for shooting docks - 11/27/15 01:09 AM

Crappie Anglers of Texas isn't Earnest's site. He along with others are members and give alot back to that organization. I don't believe he was referring to your broken tip in a derogatory manner. Others above mentioned broken tips as well.

I PM'd you a contact number to get a tip. Tight lines.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum