Texas Fishing Forum

Cedar Creek - 11/13/15

Posted By: Bud B

Cedar Creek - 11/13/15 - 11/14/15 06:08 PM

I haven't posted any reports lately. I've been getting out regularly this fall, but the fishing has been a lot tougher for me this fall than it was last year. I got 10 keepers on one trip, but 6 to 8 keepers has been more the norm, and other folks were posting better reports for Cedar Creek, so I settled for reading theirs. But I've seen fewer reports lately, and I had a pretty good day yesterday on the lake, so here's a report.

Cedar Creek's water level is exactly at normal level. The lake has cleared a bit, but the upper half (which is where I usually fish) still has more color than usual. Water temp yesterday was 64 degrees. It was a chilly morning, especially when the east northeast wind kicked up a bit, but the wind never got too bad, and it was a great day to be on the water. I ended up catching 23 keepers. I wanted to stay and get a limit, but the bite got tough later, and I was running late for a trip out to dinner, so 23 keepers it was. A dozen or so were really nice fish. I kept 8 and released the rest.

I caught the fish on both brush and concrete. All were caught on plastic, on my new dark purple/chartreuse color. They were in 8 to 15 feet of water. Most were near the bottom. I've been fishing a two jig rig most of the time this fall, and the fish bit both the 1/24 oz jig on the bottom, and the 1/32 oz jig a foot or so above it. I was mostly vertical fishing, but I did catch a few by pitching out the jigs and slowly swimming them along the bottom.

One of the things that's been different this fall on Cedar Creek (at least for me), is that the fish only want a small bait. Last year, I had a bunch of great fall trips using 1/16, 3/32, and 1/8 oz jigs with my bigger homemade plastic shad on them, but this fall, I can't seem to get many bites at all unless I'm using a 1/24 oz or 1/32 oz jig with the smaller plastic shad I started making this summer. Yesterday was no exception. Every fish was caught on the smaller jigs. I've caught a few fish on tied jigs this fall, but plastic has been better, and that purple/chartreuse has been the best color for me.

This will be my last fishing trip for a bit. I'm having back surgery on Monday (wish me luck). It ended up being a very nice last trip before my surgery.

All the crappie were black crappie yesterday.

The smaller version of my new purple/chartreuse shad was the bait of choice. The baits came out more blue than I intended (though not as blue as this cloudy day photo makes them look), but they get bit so well, I don't think I'm going to change them.

Posted By: jasoniam

Re: Cedar Creek - 11/13/15 - 11/14/15 06:18 PM

Hey good job!! I like the plastics!! Look good to me!! Are you Injecting? or hand pour? I'm thinkin injecting to get the two tone look!
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Cedar Creek - 11/13/15 - 11/14/15 07:57 PM

thumbWTG Bud!
Posted By: Roman Cherny

Re: Cedar Creek - 11/13/15 - 11/14/15 10:18 PM

Bud,best of luck with your surgery(I'm next in line),I hope to see you on the water soon.Thanks for good report.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Cedar Creek - 11/13/15 - 11/14/15 11:35 PM

Solid post! Thanks for sharing. cheers
Posted By: srbert

Re: Cedar Creek - 11/13/15 - 11/15/15 02:21 AM

Bud, you will be happy with your surgery!! I know I am. I've been 90% since I had mine 6 years ago. I pray yours goes as well.
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: Cedar Creek - 11/13/15 - 11/15/15 03:16 AM

Nice fish and good lookin jigs...I pray all is well with your surgery and that recover and get back healthy!!!
Posted By: cellis

Re: Cedar Creek - 11/13/15 - 11/15/15 04:51 AM

Good luck with the surgery. Looks like you had a good send off.
Posted By: crappielady62

Re: Cedar Creek - 11/13/15 - 11/15/15 05:23 AM

Great post! Sure appreciate the info and the pictures. God's hands upon you during your surgery and recovery. I've been on that table 5 times! But it don't stop me from fishing! I'll be out there trying and praying for you!
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: Cedar Creek - 11/13/15 - 11/15/15 01:23 PM

Nice fish Bud thumb

Good luck on your surgery cheers
Posted By: Bud B

Re: Cedar Creek - 11/13/15 - 11/15/15 09:50 PM

Thanks for the positive thoughts, everyone. My surgery isn't major, and I hope I'm not off the water too long.

Originally Posted By: jasoniam
Hey good job!! I like the plastics!! Look good to me!! Are you Injecting? or hand pour? I'm thinkin injecting to get the two tone look!

Yes, the baits are injected. I've been pouring my own jigs for many years and started injecting plastics last winter. For the two color baits like this, I make a chartreuse bait first, then cut the tail off and put it back into the mold, then inject the other color.
Posted By: CedarCreekWoody

Re: Cedar Creek - 11/13/15 - 11/15/15 10:20 PM

Great job on the fish Bud. I had surgery on a herniated disc a few years ago, no problems since then. It went very smoothly.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Cedar Creek - 11/13/15 - 11/15/15 11:12 PM

thumb
Posted By: bullcrappie

Re: Cedar Creek - 11/13/15 - 11/18/15 01:58 AM

Thanks Bud B for the great report...
Yup waters slow to clear up on north end but we are getting some descent catches with a lot of work off concrete ..We wanted to go to Palestine and give it a try but weathers just to questionable for the long trip and the cost I think I'll wait and go after thx givin.. Maybe I can get out here and try a few spots down south...
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Cedar Creek - 11/13/15 - 11/18/15 03:38 AM

I enjoy reading your posts on Cedar Creek, hope that your surgery goes well & your back on the water soon!

Your baits look good too. I like the blue/chartreuse combo.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum