Texas Fishing Forum

Minnows or Jigs

Posted By: ftwfishing

Minnows or Jigs - 11/11/15 04:56 PM

I have always fished minnows for crappie. Tried jigging once caught a tiny sand bass. What is a good beginner jig for the live bait fishermen.
Thank you and Fish on!!!
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Minnows or Jigs - 11/11/15 05:04 PM

I can't wait for the answers. I bet every color under the sun. It will be different for every lake.

At PK early in the spring, unless rain has silted the water it's very very clear. I've watched perch run up to my jig and dart away at the last second. Caught a few crappie on jigs and roadrunners but far more on minnows and shad. I'd love to see a crappie tourney at PK. It would sure separate the men from the boys in that clear water.
Posted By: Tommy Ezell

Re: Minnows or Jigs - 11/11/15 05:07 PM

I've found bluegrass to be good on most any lake. I only suggest this as some lakes have specific colors that work best but bluegrass will catch on most any lake. Tried and true.
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: Minnows or Jigs - 11/11/15 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: PKfishin
I can't wait for the answers. I bet every color under the sun. It will be different for every lake.

At PK early in the spring, unless rain has silted the water it's very very clear. I've watched perch run up to my jig and dart away at the last second. Caught a few crappie on jigs and roadrunners but far more on minnows and shad. I'd love to see a crappie tourney at PK. It would sure separate the men from the boys in that clear water.

Put a tourney together thumb
Posted By: ftwfishing

Re: Minnows or Jigs - 11/11/15 05:16 PM

I fish Eagle Moutain
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: Minnows or Jigs - 11/11/15 05:35 PM

White/chartreuse and black/chartreuse are both producers at most any lake.
Posted By: cellis

Re: Minnows or Jigs - 11/11/15 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: The Crappie Guy
White/chartreuse and black/chartreuse are both producers at most any lake.

^^
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Minnows or Jigs - 11/11/15 06:35 PM

PM sent
Posted By: SStohner

Re: Minnows or Jigs - 11/11/15 06:35 PM

I usually use Chartreuse jig heads and change up the body depending on water clarity and what is working.

I have had the most luck on Bonehead salt and pepper, stump bug and slim stick.

Recently I tried out some Thermocline lures and had success with pearl ice and black emerald shiner (lil'fry & Mr. Fry).

I've adopted the whatever catches em strategy. I will two pole, one pole will have 2 minnows the other 2 different jigs, whichever is catching the most fish is what I will switch the other to.

It is more enjoyable for me to catch fish on Jigs, but I enjoy catching fish period. Everyone has their own opinion.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Minnows or Jigs - 11/11/15 06:50 PM

Jigs have been out producing minnows on Lavon lately. I haven't used a minnow in about a month and the jigs are tipped with a crappie nibble.

I don't buy into the color thing much. I cut up used worms that I have bass fished with and worn out. They work as well as the store bought ones. <--- this is my opinion. I cut them while watching the Cowboys attempt to play football. realmad
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Minnows or Jigs - 11/11/15 08:08 PM

I suggest a 1/8 oz jig head with a chart/white jig body. Use the 1/8 oz for better feel of the jig. Since jigs don't have natural action, you will usually have to impart some type of action to the jig. That's where experience comes in. There are many ways to fish that jig and what crappie like today may not be what they like tomorrow. If you can, I'd look up Larry Middleton, Rockhopper on TFF, and spend a half day guided trip with him. Your knowledge will be increased tremendously.
Posted By: BrazosRiverTom

Re: Minnows or Jigs - 11/11/15 11:57 PM

I have been having great luck using both. Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13056qp-e7Y on U-tube. This has been a great way for me to crappie fish. I like either yellow or white. I also try different ways using the jig that are most popular among the TFF crowd. What I like best about the whole way of doing it, is to be able to quickly re-rig after losing a rig to the many hazards of crappie fishing. This alone has saved me so much time. I use to spend 70% of my time re-rigging, this has cut that down to just about nill, depending on how long it takes me to get a new rig out of the package without it tangling up. Plus making them helps fill in my time at the house, giving me something to do besides sit here and read how others are catching them on TFF. Hope this helps someone.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum