Texas Fishing Forum

Placing Cover

Posted By: ftwfishing

Placing Cover - 10/27/15 04:21 PM

How do you place brush in an area near docks or in slips?
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: Placing Cover - 10/27/15 04:37 PM

Suspend it just off the bottom usually works best.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Placing Cover - 10/27/15 04:42 PM

Use cement blocks to tie the bases of the trees to and sink them. I've always heard to try to sink them with the tops up because the limbs grow upward making it easier to work your bait through with less snags. But I'm not too sure they stay upright for any length of time. If you have a deep water dock I guess you could weight the bases of the trees drop them in with a rope attached to the top of the tree and tie the rope off to the bottom of the dock, suspending it off the bottom or just as it touches the bottom...

It's been years since I sank any BP's but when I did I used cedar trees.
Posted By: Jonathan_Zambrano

Re: Placing Cover - 10/27/15 04:47 PM

I see a lot of slips with the trees sunk upside down... that puzzles me because like Anchorman said, the limbs grow up and it would seem you would get hung up less with the trunk down. I would be interested in reading what others say about this.

JZ
Posted By: Bruce Bullard

Re: Placing Cover - 10/27/15 05:09 PM

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/habitat.htm
Check out this article about using bamboo.
Haven't tried it yet, but feedback would be appreciated
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Placing Cover - 10/27/15 05:57 PM

I actually used the cinder block idea with the bamboo from that website under my boat house and it worked fine. I have about 8' to 10' of water so they were the right size for my situation, bass & crappie seemed to love them. They lasted about 3 years.
Posted By: Bigskippy

Re: Placing Cover - 10/27/15 08:41 PM

if the slips near you are brushed up pretty well, you can always press the easy button and get a pvc tree (0r 2) from pond king. they are located in Gainesville tx and they sell them at bass pro. I got mine straight from them and they work great. I'll post a pic a little later if I can find one. When I quit renting my slip a few months back, I pulled it up, washed it off and its ready to go next time.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Placing Cover - 10/27/15 09:26 PM

I used a lot of PVC and one Cedar tree (right side up) and tied each one off to the dock. At the beginning of the summer, they moved the entire marina and everything transferred with the move.
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: Placing Cover - 10/28/15 03:01 AM

I have been brushing docks for over 40 years and have tried every possible combination of cover. PVC, milk bottle trees, xmas trees, willow, cedar trees, sunk to the bottom, suspended whatever is possible I tried. Best results came using fresh 6'-8' cedar trees suspended on ropes with the tops about 5' below the surface.

I added some fresh trees to our slips last week and the fishing picked up immediately.

Xmas trees take too much weight to sink and hang more lures. Willow works well but the beavers cut the ropes and steal it as fast as you hang it. PVC will work somewhat but if any other slips near by are baited with real trees will attract most of the fish.

Good luck with whatever you try.
Posted By: Knot Normal

Re: Placing Cover - 10/29/15 02:15 AM

I tried pvc balls with the half inch pvc pipe stuck in the holes. I call them sputnics.

I also tried them with the pvc and willow brush limbs tied to the pvc in a couple of places.

The combination works the best with the quickest results and you can rebuild the willows very easily and the sputnics will never go away. The pvc is good in a slip because in the open they are a little harder to find on a sounder.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum