Texas Fishing Forum

Line question

Posted By: pepop

Line question - 10/24/15 03:38 PM

What if any would be the advantages/disadvantages of using fluorocarbon line for jigging?
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Line question - 10/24/15 03:48 PM

Fluorocarbon is good line with a smaller diameter size than mono. The advantage is in clear water the fish can't see your line, it truly is invisible. It is more sensitive than mono similar to braid.

The disadvantage is every time you get a nick you need to stop and retie, every nick. Because the fish you break off will be the bigger one. It is 3X as expensive as mono and needs line conditioner periodically to run smooth thru the reel.

The water I fish is not clear enough to be concerned with it, I still use mono 90% of the time and some 20lb. Braid.

I use Seaguar Invisx 12lb test for fishing weightless senkos for bass, mostly during the spring spawn. It is $20.00 for 200 yards.

Posted By: bush hog

Re: Line question - 10/24/15 04:10 PM

Spiderman is pretty much on the mark. My experience with flouro is from bass fishing and I just couldn't get along with it. It does have some good properties and a lot of pro fishermen make their living with it but I found it to be too unforgiving. I lost too many fish and too many lures from line breakage. I'd rather spend my time fishing and not retying. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: rockyknox

Re: Line question - 10/24/15 04:29 PM

I love it. Red Label Seaguar (Academy or Wal Mart) is all you need. Wet your knot and check it. Very strong and sensitive.
Posted By: Tipps

Re: Line question - 10/25/15 01:46 AM

It doesn't cast well on a spinning reel, at least that's my experience. Love it as a leader though
Posted By: pepop

Re: Line question - 10/25/15 04:43 AM

Thanks for the input guys.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Line question - 10/25/15 08:28 AM

It is also less buoyant than mono which makes it a plus when Jig fishing.It`s tendancy to sink helps get your jig down a bit quicker 2cents
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Line question - 10/25/15 08:57 AM

I really like the Red Label for a leader. I've tried other brands and styles and Red Label seems to be the most durable, especially when using the Huckabee knot.

Gman
Posted By: OkieBob

Re: Line question - 10/26/15 10:17 PM

Mr Crappie Hi-Vis 6 lb mono.....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum