Texas Fishing Forum

6 inches is a lot!

Posted By: GMorg

6 inches is a lot! - 10/23/15 04:36 PM

When I checked the rain gauge this morning I thought someone had stolen the little red floating marker from inside. But as you can see in pics it was all the way up at the top!

That'll do Ray Hubbard some good! thumb

We got six inches of rain over night and another 1-3/4" so far today. So how much have y'all gotten?

Posted By: Jonathan_Zambrano

Re: 6 inches is a lot! - 10/23/15 04:41 PM

Just hoping we can get some consistent rain and keep the levels right and my water bill DOWN!
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: 6 inches is a lot! - 10/23/15 04:46 PM

4 1/2" yesterday and 2 1/2" so far today in Highland Village. Lake Lewisville is loving this, although it really didn't need it.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: 6 inches is a lot! - 10/23/15 06:27 PM

2.15" here in Yantis as of 1:30 PM

Gman
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: 6 inches is a lot! - 10/23/15 06:34 PM

1.25" this morning but expect another 4 to 5 inches tonight,Saturday,and Sunday Morning! thumb

Side Note: According to the forecast some areas are going to get between 10 and 12 inches before it's all over. nuts
Posted By: larry mays

Re: 6 inches is a lot! - 10/23/15 07:40 PM

Honey-do time this weekend, and if we get the wind they are talking may be a while before good fishing returns. Maybe just the creeks and the north end of lakes will be set back. But it is a wait and see thing.
Posted By: SLABmeSILLY

Re: 6 inches is a lot! - 10/23/15 09:01 PM

Coming Winter creek fishing will be accessible... A blessing this coming Winter!
Posted By: Bud B

Re: 6 inches is a lot! - 10/23/15 10:01 PM

It wasn't the rain, but the wind that ran me off of Cedar Creek earlier than I wanted yesterday. We didn't get much rain until today, and the creeks were barely running when I crossed them late this morning, but it's rained a bunch this afternoon and the lake's already gained six inches today. We really needed it. Cedar Creek was over 2 1/2 feet low.
Posted By: JimmyA

Re: 6 inches is a lot! - 10/23/15 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: GMorg
When I checked the rain gauge this morning I thought someone had stolen the little red floating marker from inside. But as you can see in pics it was all the way up at the top!

We got six inches of rain over night and another 1-3/4" so far today. So how much have y'all gotten?

Where can one find a rain gauge like that?
Posted By: TCK73

Re: 6 inches is a lot! - 10/23/15 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By: JimmyA
Originally Posted By: GMorg

Where can one find a rain gauge like that?

Lowes has them, but they are not accurate. We had one 300 feet from a certified weather station gauge and it was consistently showing more rain than we actually registered on the certified gauge.
Posted By: OkieBob

Re: 6 inches is a lot! - 10/24/15 10:11 AM

You might want to move it further away from your house. It needs to be out in the open, unobstructed by anything for as far as possible. Otherwise your readings won't be as accurate as you want.
Posted By: cellis

Re: 6 inches is a lot! - 10/24/15 11:04 AM

8.5 inches since Thursday.
Posted By: GMorg

Re: 6 inches is a lot! - 10/24/15 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: TCK73

Lowes has them, but they are not accurate. We had one 300 feet from a certified weather station gauge and it was consistently showing more rain than we actually registered on the certified gauge.

Do you remember how far off it was?

I'm sure you are right OkieBob. My dad is a Sooner and he's usually right too. I actually had it mounted somewhere else but moved it for convenience.

Y'all's comments prompted me to check a few local weather stations. They have rainfall totals ranging from 8.26" to 11.2". My gauge has collected a little over 11-1/2 since this all started. So it could be exaggerating a bit. It might be a fisherman? I have a fish scale and ruler that try that on occasion. lol_2
Posted By: tds

Re: 6 inches is a lot! - 10/24/15 09:24 PM

12inches so far in fairfield
Posted By: tundra rich

Re: 6 inches is a lot! - 10/25/15 06:30 AM

Last I heard was 24" or 28"....it's insane...my kids are catching perch by hand right in front of the house.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum