Texas Fishing Forum

Reap the rewards

Posted By: TexExp

Reap the rewards - 10/18/15 07:23 PM

Love those crappie cakes. At the GTG last year on Palestine, who was it that brought those crappie cakes??
I think it might have been Matthew (Jiggum) or PePop that started a while back swapping crappie meat for crab meat in crab cake mix. thanks very much whoever brought those and for sharing the recipe!

Man they're good!

You noticed mine have some green in them. I add cilantro. (maybe a little too much... lol)

Another great way to enjoy crappie and reap the rewards. cheers

Purty classy huh? Paper plate and all... crazy

this is what we use:

Enjoy!
Posted By: Bigskippy

Re: Reap the rewards - 10/18/15 07:32 PM

I love those! I think it was Matthew Carroll who made them at the Palesting GTG last year. I went home and told the wifey and we had them the very next week after I learned about that. So good!
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Reap the rewards - 10/18/15 10:56 PM

Looks good.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Reap the rewards - 10/18/15 11:01 PM

That is one of my wife's favorite meals.

I make a bunch of them and she freezes them in freezer bags. Then she can thaw out one when she wants.

They make pretty good sandwiches too!
Posted By: UJC

Re: Reap the rewards - 10/19/15 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Spiderman

I make a bunch of them and she freezes them in freezer bags. Then she can thaw out one when she wants.

We do the same and had some for Saturday's dinner, right before the LSU game.

Re: Reap the rewards - 10/19/15 02:34 AM

Had to slip that in there, didn't you Jimmy?? lol

They are good aren't they! (The crappie cakes, not the Tigers.) nuts

Re: Reap the rewards - 10/19/15 02:41 AM

Whaaaaaat? Mackey likes LSU too??

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Reap the rewards - 10/19/15 04:24 AM

Looking Mighty fine. food
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Reap the rewards - 10/19/15 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: TexExp

I don't thinks so. Looks like Mackey is about to choke Jimmy.

Re: Reap the rewards - 10/19/15 02:02 PM

[/quote]

I don't thinks so. Looks like Mackey is about to choke Jimmy.

[/quote]

He is thanking him for the beautiful hat.

grin
Posted By: GhostRider32

Re: Reap the rewards - 10/19/15 07:53 PM

Any way to get the recipe posted here?

Re: Reap the rewards - 10/20/15 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: GhostRider32

Sure GhostRider, the pattern is full. lol cool

We just use what's on the back of the box. cheers Zatarains uses an egg and some mayonnaise with a pound of crab (crappie) meat. I added cilantro, just cause I like it. cool I also add salted butter cause I love it so much. lol
It needs some seasoning. Usually Zatarains has some kick to it, but this needs some "Slap Yo Mama" to kick it up!

I think someone recommended a substitute for mayonnaise when we had the thread going last year... but I forgot what it was. Sure would like to know that if anyone remembers.

Any other variations?

Enjoy!

Posted By: Book of John

Re: Reap the rewards - 10/22/15 09:15 PM

They look great- would you share the recipe? Thanks

Re: Reap the rewards - 10/23/15 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: GhostRider32

Here's Matthew Carroll's post from July 27, 2014.

Originally Posted By: Matthew Carroll
Here Ya Go!
Get the Zatarans crab cake mix. Where it says to put in 1 lb. of crab I substitute with crappie..
I put the crappie in a food processor and pulverize it with one med White onion.
Follow the box directions. After mixing, put it in the fridge for about 2 hours, this lets the mixture get firm.. Wet your hands and make some patties, (just like a salmon patty), fry just like your would a salmon patty, I use canola oil..
Enjoy!

I don't place it the fridge - I use surgical gloves with a little olive oil so after a patty is formed, it will easily slide to the pan. I love onions, but I found a whole onion gives too much onion taste overwhelming the crappie and mix. So I use half of an onion or a small onion. I really like the simplicity of the recipe but like any recipe, you can make it as complex as you want. Ernest baked his. I've tried that too, and it is good and healthier.

Here's the original post.
Posted By: deadeyedaniel

Re: Reap the rewards - 11/06/15 01:32 AM

Should you cook the. Crappie first
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Reap the rewards - 11/06/15 01:39 AM

It just don't get any better! thumb
Posted By: Fish Chaser

Re: Reap the rewards - 11/06/15 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: UJC
Originally Posted By: Spiderman

We do the same and had some for Saturday's dinner, right before the LSU game.

Jimmy, do you ever go to any of our game watch parties?
GEAUX TIGERS!!
Posted By: BAIT956

Re: Reap the rewards - 04/21/18 07:03 PM

Thanks guys. Got to try this one. Should work with shrimp or any white fleshed fish.
Posted By: BrazosRiverTom

Re: Reap the rewards - 04/21/18 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: deadeyedaniel
Should you cook the. Crappie first

I don't know. Good question. I would guess no, as it is very easy to over cook crappie and all you have left is mush. Don't ask me how I know, lol. Went back to regular frying and have not tried crappie any other way, till now. I am willing to try this, thanks for the recipe UJC.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Reap the rewards - 04/22/18 03:17 AM

I take a pot with liquid crab boil, salt and water. Follow the directions on the bottle to get the right mixture.

Bring it to a boil. Place the crappie fillets in it. Remove the pot from the fire and leave the crappie in there for 30 minutes.

The crappie will taste like crawfish or shrimp when they are removed from the water.

It will add a little zest to the crappie cakes.

I use green onion in the crab cake mix. The rest is on the box.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Reap the rewards - 04/23/18 02:27 PM

Love those crappie cakes. At the GTG last year on Palestine, who was it that brought those crappie cakes??
I think it might have been Matthew (Jiggum) or PePop that started a while back swapping crappie meat for crab meat in crab cake mix. thanks very much whoever brought those and for sharing the recipe!

Man they're good!

You noticed mine have some green in them. I add cilantro. (maybe a little too much... lol)

Another great way to enjoy crappie and reap the rewards. cheers

Purty classy huh? Paper plate and all... crazy

this is what we use:

Enjoy!

I can NOT find this stuff, anywhere...any help will be appreciated.

Re: Reap the rewards - 04/23/18 02:35 PM

You know, besides Jimmy...and his affinity for that LSU banter...I had to put up with Ole Porkchop dealing that LSU stuff, every time he caught a fish on Purple/chart...sitting in the back of the boat singing the LSU catch quote, when he caught one...I almost put on a purple/white, until I realized I didn’t have any with me ( bang)... lots of Arkansas jokes floating this weekend, as well...not sure why... roflmao

Re: Reap the rewards - 04/23/18 03:39 PM

Dale, you are top shelf trouble maker of the 1st order! duel

Re: Reap the rewards - 04/24/18 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: UJC
Dale, you are top shelf trouble maker of the 1st order! duel

Hey Jimmy, that’s funny...Top Shelf?? I just know there is a Jimmy Rogers song in there somewhere! stir

Say, did you get your boat back on the water? Back in competition? I will keep my fingers crossed for you, as you are a true statesman for everyone to follow! BTW, know how to dial in a 360? Evidentially, I don’t...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum