Texas Fishing Forum

New to the area - Prosper

Posted By: jsbz

New to the area - Prosper - 10/16/15 03:12 PM

Hello all....
My family and I relocated from Chicago to Prosper in late July. Back home I fished mostly for crappie, blue gill, walleye, etc... I do not have a boat right now so I am landlocked for now. Does anyone have some suggested areas to shore fish for crappie?

Thanks

Jim
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: New to the area - Prosper - 10/16/15 03:26 PM

Bank fishing is tough in Texas. People do it but my advise is to get a small boat of some kind. When I moved here to take a job at TI back in 92, a friend and I went to ray Roberts to fish off the bank. I must have had a dozen fire ant attacks. Fire ants love water and lakes are one of the few areas where these imported Amazon stinging machines can consistently get water. Every rock and stump will be colonized by them.

The other reason to get a small boat is the fish always seem to be just out of casting range. I caught these crappie at Texoma this week and the folks at the ramp fishing from the bank were getting skunked. Fish disappeared from my fish finder at about 20 feet of water. You'd have needed a surf rod to hit that area.

I have one of these boats that I use locally. Fits in my garage and the back of my car. A fishing Kayak is also a good low cost way to get off the bank if you have storage for it.

Re: New to the area - Prosper - 10/16/15 03:29 PM

Thanks PKfishin....

Yes I don't need any fire ant attacks smile
Posted By: fishin_farmer

Re: New to the area - Prosper - 10/16/15 03:31 PM

Welcome to Prosper. I was born and raised here. Give me a call sometime and I will do my best to help you with any questions you have about fishing here. My name is Cody Standerfer. 972-743-7098
Posted By: GhostRider32

Re: New to the area - Prosper - 10/16/15 03:53 PM

Welcome.
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: New to the area - Prosper - 10/16/15 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: jsbz
Hello all....
My family and I relocated from Chicago to Prosper in late July. Back home I fished mostly for crappie, blue gill, walleye, etc... I do not have a boat right now so I am landlocked for now. Does anyone have some suggested areas to shore fish for crappie?

Thanks

Jim

Wait til the first freeze and then start bank walking the creeks on the north ends of most any lake that is close to you. Fish a jig under a bobber and there should be no reason to fish deeper than 2'. Pack light, walk far, and carry a 5 gallon bucket to bring your fish home. Good luck and welcome to the TFF.
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: New to the area - Prosper - 10/16/15 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: fishin_farmer
Welcome to Prosper. I was born and raised here. Give me a call sometime and I will do my best to help you with any questions you have about fishing here. My name is Cody Standerfer. 972-743-7098
You ain't going to get a better offer than that. He knows fish. Good onya Cody
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: New to the area - Prosper - 10/16/15 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: fishin_farmer

Welcome Jim!

You should call Cody, he's a great guy, not to mention a good crappie guide.
Posted By: Bigskippy

Re: New to the area - Prosper - 10/16/15 06:59 PM

You should fish the creeks starting in November. If you're in prosper, you're not far from lake Ray Roberts. Find a creek near there or like Lewisville and you'll catch crappie. Good luck
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: New to the area - Prosper - 10/16/15 07:25 PM

Hello all....

Thanks

Jim
welcome

Re: New to the area - Prosper - 10/16/15 10:09 PM

Thanks for all the feedback and warm welcome! Cody I will take you up on your offer and give you a call.
Posted By: larry mays

Re: New to the area - Prosper - 10/16/15 10:48 PM

Sounds like all gave you good info but will add here in Texas we have a good bit of wind that the small boats can't take in the winter. So check out the creeks on the lakes as a back up unless you pick your own days to fish. Good Fishing
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: New to the area - Prosper - 10/16/15 11:01 PM

Don't call Cody, you will never be the same again. He's going to make you want to drag up everyday and go fishing.

Don't do it.

Welcome to Texas.
Posted By: crope1

Re: New to the area - Prosper - 10/20/15 08:50 AM

Welcome to the forum!
Hello all....

Thanks

Jim
Posted By: CollinCountyCab

Re: New to the area - Prosper - 10/27/15 06:33 AM

Chicago...my hometown for the first 22yrs of life. Call or text amd i will take you out to our brushed dock. Im in Frisco.
Kevin

Re: New to the area - Prosper - 10/27/15 12:30 PM

jsbz, pm sent. One of my co-workers just moved to Prosper. He's looking for someone there to fish with. He has a boat. He grew up 70 miles from Chicago. He's a Cheesehead though.

Re: New to the area - Prosper - 10/27/15 01:55 PM

Thanks Bobcat1. I wont hold that against him smile I wasn't a bears fan anyway. I play in too many fantasy football teams to be a team fan smile

Re: New to the area - Prosper - 10/27/15 04:26 PM

Thanks Bobcat1. I wont hold that against him smile I wasn't a bears fan anyway. I play in too many fantasy football teams to be a team fan smile

You and he will get along fine. He plays fantasy teams too.
Posted By: joser

Re: New to the area - Prosper - 10/27/15 10:47 PM

Look to see if you can find any pay to fish, deep docks in your area, I fish Lake Leon La Mancha dock a lot in the winter, buy yourself the best cold weather gear you can afford, beleive me it's money well spent, and get after it, I catch more in the winter than I do in the summer, but of course during the spring a jig and slip cork is hard to beat along a steep rock and gravel bank, can fish many depths and catch lots of fish
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum