Texas Fishing Forum

My turn to pay the Piper

Posted By: Gamblinman

My turn to pay the Piper - 10/15/15 08:42 PM

Coming out of Ray branch and heading up towards Big Caney yesterday morning, the Gambler met its match. I have run this area hundreds of times. 4 ft. crack in the hull

Mike at Lake Fork Fiberglass says it will be the end of the month before he can touch it, and then at least a week to repair.

Gman
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: My turn to pay the Piper - 10/15/15 08:58 PM

OUCH!!!!

Going to take more than a

Posted By: Waco Kid

Re: My turn to pay the Piper - 10/15/15 09:14 PM

Gorilla glue thumb
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: My turn to pay the Piper - 10/15/15 09:18 PM

Duck tape roflmao

I hate to see that buddy......know my day is coming, just not soon I hope.

That's why my boat insurance is the 1st bill I make sure is paid nuts
Posted By: cellis

Re: My turn to pay the Piper - 10/15/15 11:27 PM

Dang. Glad you're OK.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: My turn to pay the Piper - 10/16/15 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

OUCH!!!!

Going to take more than a

Plus #1. It could have been worst. Glad no one got hurt! cheers
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: My turn to pay the Piper - 10/16/15 03:19 AM

Least you were in the water! Heck I tore one up there in the parking lot!!! roflmao
Posted By: crope1

Re: My turn to pay the Piper - 10/16/15 03:53 AM

Agreed,main thing no one was hurt!
Posted By: papamark

Re: My turn to pay the Piper - 10/16/15 12:33 PM

Gman, a little duct tape and some super glue and you ready to go,

Sorry for the lose. it wont be that long
Posted By: leanin post

Re: My turn to pay the Piper - 10/17/15 04:51 AM

a little fiberglass and gelcoat and it will be good as new. You could fix that yourself for under 150.00 and a couple days of your time. Sand the damaged area down with 400 grit sand paper , clean with alchohol, pack crack line with fiberglass cloth strips, mix up some fiberglass resin and brush on then let dry a few hours, sand flat, add more resin as needed , sand smooth with 600 grit sandpaper, then mix gelcoat, brush on with a throwaway paintbrush, let dry a few hours, sand with 600, brush more coats on as needed, then start sanding with higher and higher grits until it shines and blends with the rest of the boat.
wet sanding is best and end with 2000 grit, then get a buffer and some turtle wax buffing compound, or 3 m perfect it 2, buffing compound and polish it out.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: My turn to pay the Piper - 10/17/15 07:40 AM

Lay that sucker over and get the sander.
Posted By: Tex5000

Re: My turn to pay the Piper - 10/18/15 08:21 AM

Flex seal. And in all seriousness glad you are okay.
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: My turn to pay the Piper - 10/18/15 08:32 AM

Originally Posted By: leanin post
a little fiberglass and gelcoat and it will be good as new. You could fix that yourself for under 150.00 and a couple days of your time. Sand the damaged area down with 400 grit sand paper , clean with alchohol, pack crack line with fiberglass cloth strips, mix up some fiberglass resin and brush on then let dry a few hours, sand flat, add more resin as needed , sand smooth with 600 grit sandpaper, then mix gelcoat, brush on with a throwaway paintbrush, let dry a few hours, sand with 600, brush more coats on as needed, then start sanding with higher and higher grits until it shines and blends with the rest of the boat.
wet sanding is best and end with 2000 grit, then get a buffer and some turtle wax buffing compound, or 3 m perfect it 2, buffing compound and polish it out.

And sompin ta drink... popcorn2

gotta stay hydrated... wink
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: My turn to pay the Piper - 10/18/15 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: leanin post

I've done a fair bit of fiberglass work before, but never on a Gambler, which has a double hull. I'll let an expert like Mike at Lake Fork fiberglass repair this, State Farm can pay for it, and I'll catch a ride with someone else and keep on fishing.
Posted By: Bigskippy

Re: My turn to pay the Piper - 10/18/15 07:24 PM

Seriously though, in my last boat, a triton, I had a fight the first day I owned it with one of those metal posts filled with concrete that protect the gas pumps at the QT when I was gassing up. The pole won, the side of my boat and my trailer lost. It was a sad day. Called the fiberglass shop and he said it would be a while before he could get to it and he told me to go the hardware store and get some gorilla tape and tape it up and get out on the lake and he'd call when he was ready. I couldn't believe it. It worked too. Fished every day until about 2 weeks later when he called and said he was ready to work on it.

I don't know if this will work for you or how bad yours really is with the double hull but it worked out well for me.
Posted By: TexExp

Re: My turn to pay the Piper - 10/18/15 07:31 PM

Sorry to hear that!

Also, if you don't mind trailering... Call Chris at Classic Fiberglass on the northern part of Denton (by the loop and 35). They do first class work!

http://www.classic-fiberglass.com/
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum