Texas Fishing Forum

Braid for crappie rod

Posted By: YAKaddict

Braid for crappie rod - 09/12/15 02:50 PM

I have a medium light action rod and I'm wondering if braid will have too little flex for a crappies mouth.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Braid for crappie rod - 09/12/15 03:31 PM

Nope. I run Power Pro Slick on 5 ML rods. With sickle hooks, I stick them right in the hard cartilage of the upper mouth.

Gman
Posted By: Knot Normal

Re: Braid for crappie rod - 09/12/15 04:05 PM

I like an eight pound braid with a fluorocarbon leader( 18 in.)
Posted By: Dutch1947

Re: Braid for crappie rod - 09/12/15 04:21 PM

I like the Power Pro Super Slick braid as well. I use the 15lb to help reduce the line wrapping the rod end in the wind. I my opinion, a
6 lb, or 8 lb Fluorocarbon leader is a must. Sometimes the little critters are line shy. I sure don't want my 3.5lb Slab to turn up his nose at my jig because he can see my main line.

If you fish braid for awhile and then go back to Mono, you will swear you are fishing with a rubber band.

Re: Braid for crappie rod - 09/12/15 04:59 PM

By the way...I use Seaguar Red Label fluorocarbon for a leader. I've tried a bunch of different brands and found this to be the strongest.

Gman
Posted By: YAKaddict

Re: Braid for crappie rod - 09/13/15 02:11 AM

Thanks for the responses guys . I was just worried about ripping thru their lips
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: Braid for crappie rod - 09/13/15 03:56 AM

I use most any free 12# braid (currently bonehead) with 10# fluorocarbon leader. I know the leader isn't always necessary but why take a chance. Some days it's a must. I don't lose many fish.

When casting or dock shooting I use 6# high viz mono.
Posted By: Mike Andrews

Re: Braid for crappie rod - 09/13/15 04:29 AM

I'm fishing 20# Sufix 832 w/ 8 or 10# fluoro leader. No issues and I fish ML St Croix rods.

The reason I'm fishing 20# is that it handles far better than the 10# in my experience. In the 832 the 20# is the same diameter as 6# mono.
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: Braid for crappie rod - 09/13/15 12:59 PM

12# BoneHead braid, converted from the orange to the yellow as I can see my black depth marks better on it.
8# Berkley Fluoro leader
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Braid for crappie rod - 09/14/15 01:58 AM

Very true what Dutch said!
Posted By: bowfin

Re: Braid for crappie rod - 09/14/15 02:10 AM

What is a good way connecting braid to a fluoro leader and the weight and hook ?
Posted By: Knot Normal

Re: Braid for crappie rod - 09/14/15 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: bowfin
What is a good way connecting braid to a fluoro leader and the weight and hook ?

Couple of ways; a #12 swivel(per Earnest Paty) or a double uni knot which isn't always easy to tie in a boat in the wind.

For a weight I crimp on a buck shot 1/8 or two about a foot to 18 inches above the hook.
I almost always use a Palomar or a uni loop on a hook.

The reason I like my weights that far above a minnow hook is to use the weight(s) to drop to get a snagged hook loose.

Re: Braid for crappie rod - 09/14/15 02:36 AM

Uni to uni knot for connecting braid and a leader. Loop knot for jigs, improved clinch knot for Aberdeen hooks. You can use a crimp weight, run the line through the weight several times to secure it and tie your hook on the tag end, or use a 3 way swivel.

Gman
Posted By: Lollygagger

Re: Braid for crappie rod - 09/14/15 09:10 PM

I don't use braid but I do use a leader. I've used a 1/8 oz. egg weight above my barrel swivel.
Posted By: crope1

Re: Braid for crappie rod - 09/15/15 03:15 AM

Mr.Dutch,how long of a leader are you using and what type knot to tie the 2 together? thx in advance!
Originally Posted By: Dutch1947
I like the Power Pro Super Slick braid as well. I use the 15lb to help reduce the line wrapping the rod end in the wind. I my opinion, a
6 lb, or 8 lb Fluorocarbon leader is a must. Sometimes the little critters are line shy. I sure don't want my 3.5lb Slab to turn up his nose at my jig because he can see my main line.

If you fish braid for awhile and then go back to Mono, you will swear you are fishing with a rubber band.
Posted By: crappiegetter

Re: Braid for crappie rod - 12/13/15 04:50 AM

Bonehead & Vanish works for me fish cheers
Posted By: HOGON

Re: Braid for crappie rod - 12/13/15 01:58 PM

We tried that Suffix 832 in 20#...that is my new favorite braid!

We use an 8# Flourocarbon leader with it.
Posted By: RODS454

Re: Braid for crappie rod - 12/13/15 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
Nope. I run Power Pro Slick on 5 ML rods. With sickle hooks, I stick them right in the hard cartilage of the upper mouth.

Gman

This ^
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum