Texas Fishing Forum

When they just won't bite or....

Posted By: ERNEST PATY

When they just won't bite or.... - 09/12/15 12:31 AM

When they just won't bite or are just pecking on your bait, what to do. Takes patience but pays off. Today was a perfect example. I arrived at the office at 7:00 AM. In first 15 min. I had lots of little pecks but only one small crappie. I switched to a bait so small that they could not peck it without eating it. 1/64 oz jig, #10 (tiny) hook and a micro jig body.

I quit at 9:30 having caught 31 crappie, 7 bass (small) and 6 bluegills. All were within 6' of the surface. Six of the crappie were nice keepers.

The bait fell so slow that they just couldn't resist it.
Posted By: RODS454

Re: When they just won't bite or.... - 09/12/15 01:18 AM

Thank you Ernest for that tip. I'll have to try that next time.
Posted By: C Worthy

Re: When they just won't bite or.... - 09/12/15 02:32 AM

Ernest, you just cost me $32. Why oh why would you show me the name of the those jigs. hammer woot I am a hopeless tackle ho!

Thanks for sharing bud.
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: When they just won't bite or.... - 09/12/15 02:56 AM

And that is how you stop short strikes. Good lookin bait!
Posted By: OkieBob

Re: When they just won't bite or.... - 09/12/15 11:18 AM

How about a link to the website? I tried to google it without success. Need a little help here guys.
Posted By: Roman Cherny

Re: When they just won't bite or.... - 09/12/15 11:45 AM

http://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/micro-spoons-jigs-/micro-spoons-jigs-candy-plastics-domination-fry/
Posted By: pepop

Re: When they just won't bite or.... - 09/12/15 12:12 PM

Just a FYI, Crazy Angler's "Mini" Slab Bandit, the 1250 I think, on a 1/32oz ball head with a #6 hook usually stops those "short peck's" here on Palestine. The last couple years a buddy & I cleaned up on the Flat Creak bridge with the Mini Pearl Truse on a 1/16oz #6 jig. Very few miss' once we scaled down. Thanks Ernest for the reminder! I had forgotten about that & the last several outings we've been really fighting the "Peck-Set-Nothing's"!
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: When they just won't bite or.... - 09/12/15 01:31 PM

I agree that the mini slab bandit works and I use it a lot but sometimes even that's not small enough.
Posted By: jiggin el

Re: When they just won't bite or.... - 09/12/15 09:07 PM

Those eyes on the body are deadly
Posted By: GMorg

Re: When they just won't bite or.... - 09/12/15 09:18 PM

If I would have read this last night this morning's trip may have been better. bang
Posted By: HOGON

Re: When they just won't bite or.... - 09/12/15 09:53 PM

I heard Dynamite works pretty good too. lizard fish hammer
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: When they just won't bite or.... - 09/13/15 03:34 AM

That mini Slab Bandit from Crazy Angler is called Lil Rascal. Great bait for those finicky crappie. And it will catch big crappie also. Late July thru mid Sept is usually the time to down size.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum